Menu

Pure vanilla extract ingredients

Last year I made 2 gallons of vanilla extract, bottled it and gave it away for Christmas gifts. It's super easy: split a bunch of vanilla beans, put them in a bottle of vodka, place the bottle in a cool dark place and forget about it for 2-3 months. Vodka and vanilla beans are the only ingredients.

If you want to make your own it's easy to find various directions with a little more detail online.

Oh, and you can order vanilla beans on eBay for shockingly cheap. Don't go to the grocery store and pay $3 for one bean! I think I got 2 lbs. of beans (probably 200 of them!) for about $30-$40.

This might help, from http://www.vanilla.com/index.php/Tropical-Foods/Vanilla/vanilla-extract-an-insiders-view.html:

The extract may also contain sugar, corn syrup, caramel color or stabilizers. All additives should be on the label, but they often aren't. Also, the FDA doesn't require that the percentage of additives be listed. As vanilla is naturally slightly sweet, it isn't necessary to add sweeteners. Some manufacturers use no sugar, some use 3 - 5% sugar as a stabilizer, and some companies use 20% or more sugar or corn syrup in their extracts. Extract made with sugar cane alcohol can smell harsh, so a small amount of sugar helps to soften the aroma.