Menu

Talk to me about reading skills-based programs for 7th grader who's "behind"

ereks mom

I'm looking for suggestions for some kind of unit study or curriculum that is centered around developing reading skills and an enjoyment of good books. I deally, this would be an "all-in-one" type of program that incorporates reading/literature, science, and social studies/history. I want something that focuses on reading skills, not only in literature, but in the content areas as well, and has a pick-up-and-go IG/TE. Does anything like this exist? Should I post this on the Special Needs board?

This past school year, I taught the 6th grade dd of a friend. For this age level, I don't really give grades, except in math and sometimes spelling. Her average in math this year was 88 (B). This is a HUGE improvement over previous years, when she attended private school. Her mom says her confidence level in math has drastically improved; last year, the girl would not even attempt to solve a word problem.

The problem, however, is reading. She did have some improvement in her basic reading comprehension, but she one problem is that she reads very slowly. For example, a 5-page story in a high-interest reader would take most students 15-20 minutes, but it takes her 30+. On standardized tests, she consistently scores 1-2 grade levels below her actual grade level. Part of the reason is that she reads so slowly that she is unable to finish any of the sections of the test within the time limit, but another problem is a severe deficit in higher order thinking skills--predicting outcomes, making inferences, drawing conclusions, etc. She misses insinuations and nuances in reading selections--she is unable to "read between the lines". She is only able to give answers to the most basic recall questions.

She says she hates to read, and she is extremely resistant to doing any reading that is not required "for a grade". This has become her "cause"; in most areas, she's a fairly compliant child, but she is when it comes to reading, she refuses to do it unless she is forced. Her mom says she doesn't remember ever seeing her daughter pick up a book to read just for the pleasure of reading. :confused:

Of course, since she doesn't read, her vocabulary and spelling skills are atrocious! She can memorize spelling words, but doesn't seem to be able to internalize spelling rules and patterns, so spelling ability doesn't carry over into every day usage.

Soooooo... is there a program you would recommend for a kid like this? MFW? WP? HOD? FIAR? Sonlight? (Please don't say TOG, because I'm not willing to make that kind of commitment--figuring it all out for only one child.)

ETA: I know how to address the deficits I've mentioned, but I'm looking for recommendations for programs that have everything laid out so that I don't have to reinvent the wheel in putting together an integrated curriculum. Thanks!

Edited by ereks mom

There are workbooks that focus on reading comprehension, making inferences and drawing conclusions. Also, WWE involves a lot of reading comprehension. This aspect sounds like a possible language processing issue (I have a child with this). However, the more important questions: Has she been tested for LDs? How about vision (http://www.covd.org/Home/AboutVisionLearning/SymptomsChecklist/tabid/114/Default.aspx)?

For a student who hates reading, vision issues are the very first thing I would want to rule out. (By vision issues, I mean how the eyes work together, not just 20/20 acuity).

There are workbooks that focus on reading comprehension, making inferences and drawing conclusions. Also, WWE involves a lot of reading comprehension. This aspect sounds like a possible language processing issue (I have a child with this). However, the more important questions: Has she been tested for LDs? How about vision (http://www.covd.org/Home/AboutVisionLearning/SymptomsChecklist/tabid/114/Default.aspx)?

For a student who hates reading, vision issues are the very first thing I would want to rule out. (By vision issues, I mean how the eyes work together, not just 20/20 acuity).

Her parents have had her tested, and the consensus is that there are some non-specific issues. :-/ Hearing, vision, etc. all check out fine. I have workbooks, but I'm hoping to find a complete program that focuses on reading skills, not just in literature, but in the content areas as well.

Edited by ereks mom

I can't think of anything like that.

What I can think is that this should be the year that you work on her reading skills. All of the problems you mention could be traced right back to her lack of good phonics instruction before she came to you.

Of course, I would recommend Spalding, and that you do the whole thing with her--spelling, reading, composition, everything, not just spelling. Doing the spelling alone would improve her reading ability immensely, but if you do the reading lessons, as well, she'll get all those things she does poorly on.

In fact, I wouldn't even worry about history or science. Seventh and eighth grades are "free" years as far as those are concerned. Work on her literacy skills, continue with math, and maybe read aloud to her from good books, watch some educational DVDs or whatever, but at this point, her reading should the primary focus, IMHO.

I can't think of anything like that.

What I can think is that this should be the year that you work on her reading skills. All of the problems you mention could be traced right back to her lack of good phonics instruction before she came to you.

Of course, I would recommend Spalding, and that you do the whole thing with her--spelling, reading, composition, everything, not just spelling. Doing the spelling alone would improve her reading ability immensely, but if you do the reading lessons, as well, she'll get all those things she does poorly on.

Thanks, Ellie. Are you talking about WRTR, or is there an additional Spalding program that has reading lessons? I am familiar with WRTR, which I used (on your recommendation :001_smile:) very successfully with my own dd when she was in 2nd grade. I used it only for handwriting, spelling, and phonics instruction, but not for reading or composition.

As for my student, she did receive good phonics instruction in the early grades, and she is really good at sounding out words when she reads aloud. The problem is that when she reads aloud, although she does read at a fairly normal pace, she seems to be so busy sounding out words that she misses the meaning of what she is reading. She is simply calling out words with little concept of the meaning of the passage. She will substitute smaller words like prepositions, for example, she'll say "to" instead of "for", etc., which changes the meaning, and she won't realize it. The cadence of her words seems to be "off"--she reads in a monotone, and sometimes pauses at the wrong places, so I think that the comprehension is simply not there.

When she reads silently to herself, although she reads very slowly, her basic comprehension is far better than when she reads aloud. However, she has little ability to make inferences or draw conclusions, and misses most information that is not directly stated.

In fact, I wouldn't even worry about history or science. Seventh and eighth grades are "free" years as far as those are concerned. Work on her literacy skills, continue with math, and maybe read aloud to her from good books, watch some educational DVDs or whatever, but at this point, her reading should the primary focus, IMHO.

This is exactly what I've been thinking. I guess I just need to give myself permission to do this. :) She's only a couple of years away from high school, and I guess that makes me want to push ahead with content, but my gut is telling me that she needs to concentrate on skills instead.

Edited by ereks mom

Thanks, Ellie. Are you talking about WRTR, or is there an additional Spalding program with reading lessons? I am very familiar with WRTR, which I used (on your recommendation :001_smile:) very successfully with my own dd when she was in 2nd grade.

The manual for the Spalding Method is WRTR. Most of us use just the spelling lessons, but if you do the writing and reading lessons as well, Spalding is even more comprehensive. The teacher guides would be very helpful in the particular situation. You would also use the McCall Harby booklets, and the Spalding readers (which are very new, BTW, so you might not have even known they exist).

As for my student, she did receive good phonics instruction in the early grades, and she is really good at sounding out words when she reads aloud. The problem is that when she reads aloud, although she does read at a fairly normal pace, she seems to be so busy sounding out words that she misses the meaning of what she is reading. She is simply calling out words with little concept of the meaning of the passage. She will substitute smaller words like prepositions, for example, she'll say "to" instead of "for", etc., which changes the meaning, and she won't realize it. The cadence of her words seems to be "off"--she reads in a monotone, and sometimes pauses at the wrong places, so I think that the comprehension is simply not there.

But see, although that could be something else, it could also be a reading issue, one which Spalding would "cure."

When she reads to herself, she reads slowly, very slowly, but her basic comprehension is much, much better than when she reads aloud. However, she has little ability to make inferences or draw conclusions, and misses most information that is not directly stated.

If she really doesn't have the phonics down, she's making lots of guesses, many of which would be incorrect, which would totally affect any kind of inferences or conclusions.

This is exactly what I've been thinking. I guess I just need to give myself permission to do this. :) She's only a couple of years away from high school, and I guess that makes me want to push ahead with content, but my gut is telling me that she needs to concentrate on skills instead.

None of the history or science content at this age will affect what she does at high school, but her literacy skills will.

Thanks, Ellie. Are you talking about WRTR, or is there an additional Spalding program with reading lessons? I am very familiar with WRTR, which I used (on your recommendation :001_smile:) very successfully with my own dd when she was in 2nd grade.

When she reads silently to herself, although she reads very slowly, her basic comprehension is far better than when she reads aloud. However, she has little ability to make inferences or draw conclusions, and misses most information that is not directly stated.

You have to work on the phonics, fluency and comprehension as your main goal for this year. You can still teach the content subjects but you might need to use lower level readers than you had originally intended; use more movies on the topics you are trying to cover and/or more projects to help her gain understanding.

She needs practice improving fluency. I would suggest, in addition to strengthening her phonics, is getting readers at her level (or slightly above) and have her do repeated readings. You don't want her to memorize it but you do want her to be reading the words correctly.

I see a lot of word switching (to/for; was/saw; can/and; for/from, etc.) in my dyslexic students. That along with the spelling problems seem to indicate that at the very least she has dyslexic tendencies and helping her understand strategies she can use to get through school work can be very helpful for her in the future. It is wonderful that she had great phonics at a young age but for those with reading issues it is usually necessary to go for years longer than you with a typical student because it does not come naturally.

Also, work on comprehending at whatever level she is at. Have her read a paragraph out loud (make sure she isn't making word errors) and then have her narrate it back to you. If she can't tell you about a paragraph that she read you'll need to take it down to sentence level or go to an easier book.

>>>>>She says she hates to read, and she is extremely resistant to doing any reading that is not required "for a grade". This has become her "cause"; in most areas, she's a fairly compliant child, but she is when it comes to reading, she refuses to do it unless she is forced. Her mom says she doesn't remember ever seeing her daughter pick up a book to read just for the pleasure of reading.

:confused: >>>>

Just remember how hard reading is for her. You won't see me picking up advanced chemistry or trig for fun because they are a lot of very hard work. She doesn't pick up a book because it is work not a pleasurable activity and I would suggest that her vocabulary and spelling are weak because of the reading disability.

It really sounds like you are on the right track. I'm glad to hear that she has someone to help her through this.

The manual for the Spalding Method is WRTR. Most of us use just the spelling lessons, but if you do the writing and reading lessons as well, Spalding is even more comprehensive. The teacher guides would be very helpful in the particular situation. You would also use the McCall Harby booklets, and the Spalding readers (which are very new, BTW, so you might not have even known they exist).

Thanks again. And a couple more questions...

I'll go dig my WRTR book out of storage. I've kept it all these years! I have the blue-green book (4th edition, I think). Any reason to buy an updated edition?

I'm not familiar with the McCall Harby booklets, only the McCall-Crabbs books, which I take it are not the same? I'll look for the Spalding readers at their website.

ETA: I looked for the readers, but all I found were Readers 1 and Readers 2, which are way too juvenile. She just completed 6th grade, but is reading at about a late 5th or beginning 6th grade level, according to her standardized tests. Every year, testing shows that she gains about one grade level per year in reading, but she remains about one grade level behind.

Edited by ereks mom

If she really doesn't have the phonics down, she's making lots of guesses, many of which would be incorrect, which would totally affect any kind of inferences or conclusions.

:iagree:

All of my students make errors that that, and seem to have comprehension problems, but when they actually have is a phonics deficit--they don't have the phonics fully automated. They are most likely to miss small words like that or things at the end of a word.

I would work with her with some nonsense words and my syllable division rules and exercises. (Nonsense words with my concentration game and syllable division rules from the end of my how to tutor page.) Actually, it would be best to work through everything on my how to tutor page, reading and spelling just a few words from the Blend Phonics Reader for things she reads well, spending more time on things she struggles with.

Also, you might want to consider Rewards, it is an OG program for older children that includes reading comprehension.

Rewards Secondary is probably the right level, you can download free samples from both Intermediate and Secondary.

Spelling and a lot of nonsense words and syllable work are what have helped the most with my remedial students. Spelling and nonsense words help them break the guessing habit and really understand and learn the phonics and sounding out things from left to right.

Syllables also help stop guessing, most syllables like ab in ab-stract or ca in ca-ble are nonsense words as well as syllables. And, once you learn the syllables and syllable division rules, it becomes much easier to read long words. Before I added in Webster's Speller, I got most of my students to grade level and a few one or two grade levels above their current grade level. Since I discovered Webster's Speller, I have gotten many of my students reading 2 or more grade levels above grade level. The things on my how to tutor page will ease you into Webster's Speller. For an older student who is guessing, I use the 1824 uppercase version, the block shape of the letters helps stop guessing from the shape of the word. (dog vs. DOG) Once they stop guessing, I move to the 1908 Webster's Speller, they like the motivation of knowing what grade level of words and stories they are learning to read.

I'll go dig my WRTR book out of storage. I've kept it all these years! I have the blue-green book (4th edition, I think). Any reason to buy an updated edition?

You might be fine with the fourth edition. It's what I used when I taught in my little private school, and what hundreds teachers have used.

However, the fifth edition goes so much more in-depth in the areas you say she needs help, with sample dialogues and charts and whatnot. You might find it worthwhile to buy it; it's less than $20.

I'm not familiar with the McCall Harby booklets, only the McCall-Crabbs books, which I take it are not the same? I'll look for the Spalding readers at their website.

McCall-Crabbs is probably what I meant.f :-)

ETA: I looked for the readers, but all I found were Readers 1 and Readers 2, which are way too juvenile. She just completed 6th grade, but is reading at about a late 5th or beginning 6th grade level, according to her standardized tests. Every year, testing shows that she gains about one grade level per year in reading, but she remains about one grade level behind.

She'll probably be fine without them. I know you say she does well on the standardized tests, but clearly she is having difficulty in actuality or we wouldn't be having this conversation, right? :-)