Menu

Shopping for a new computer...HELP!

My computer is 10 years old and on the fritz, so it's officially time to look for something new. I went out the other day and was overwhelmed at all the choices. Please help!

Do I want another desk pc or should I go with a laptop? Pro's and con's of each? What brand? What to look for? What to avoid? Where to buy?

Any tips, advice, or experience you can share would be very helpful! :)

Well, I will be happy to discuss this privately so as not to wage war. :D LOL

Brand is not so much the issue as is what you need, getting the hardware to support it, and making sure that you are comfortable with the purchase that is in your price range.

I am always having to weight the specs and decide on what to buy. Sometimes it is very difficult to explain to employee X that they didn't need an i9 desktop.:glare:

I'll jump in. It is hard to recommend a computer because I don't know what you want to do with it. Pretty much anything you buy now will be much faster and better than what you last had. Ten years is a very long time as far as technology goes. I am assuming that since you had it so long that you use it primarily for internet and word processing/Excel type work.

Laptops have a lot of benefit over a desktop. They are portable, so you can use them anywhere in your home, or take it with you. They give you more flexibility. A laptop now will probably have more capability than your old desktop computer. A laptop often has less hard drive space than a desktop (not always, but often) but will have more than you had.

A desktop is often less expensive than a laptop for the same features, but the con is it takes up more space and is not portable. You also need a separate monitor.

What to look for on both a desktop and a laptop: as much RAM as you can get in your price range, along with the fastest processor in your price range. Then get the largest hard drive you can get. Most laptops and desktops can have additional RAM added later if you don't want to get it when you buy the computer. You can get along with a smaller hard drive because external hard drives are inexpensive. I would look for a minimum of 4 gig RAM and 500 gig hard drive for both a laptop and desktop. Then go up from there depending on your finances and needs. Wireless should be included on both laptops and desktop, as well as cd and dvd burning capabilities.

Re: RAM and hard drive space: If you want to do a lot of photo editing or video editing, you need a lot of hard drive space. 750 gigs would be good to start, and plan on more if you can.

What to look for on a laptop: See how the keyboards feel. They are different sizes, and the keys are placed at different distances from each other. Do you want a 10 key pad? Many laptops don't come with one because most people don't use one, but if you need one, that will limit your choices somewhat. Look at the screen. How does it look to you? Does it get bright enough? Is there glare? How about the size? Do you want a 13", or a 15" or a 17"? Smaller laptops are lighter to move around than a 17", but all are portable. How do the speakers sound? Are they loud enough for you?

For both laptops and desktops look for the number of USB and Firewire ports because anything you connect will use those (printer if you don't have a wireless one, mp3 player, external hard drive, smart phone, e-reader, etc). Be sure there are enough to connect whatever you may want to connect to your computer. Also look at what software comes with it.

Personally, I like laptops best because of portability. I also prefer Macs to a Windows pc because they last a long time (like your 10 year old computer!) and they come with good software packages, and are less likely to get viruses. But Macs cost more than a pc, so that makes a Windows pc very appealing.

Where to buy: I suggest you go to an Apple store if you have one around and are considering getting a Mac. That way you can see all the different computers and find one that does what you need without having far more capability than you really need. Then go to Best Buy to look at the Windows pcs. Many Best Buy stores also have Macs, but the salespeople are not always knowledgeable about them. Look at the pcs available and their features. Try out the keyboards and look at the screens on the laptops. Compare prices to see which kind, desktop or laptop, will get you what you need in your price range. Tell the sales person what you want to do with the computer and get recommendations.

I prefer my Mac laptop, but my Sony Vaio laptop was reliable and great for photo editing.

I would totally vote for a Mac Laptop. In short, we have owned a variety of PC brands, all of which had a hard drive fail or some major component break shortly after the 1 year warranty. Our HP laptop even caught fire, and all HP told us was too bad so sad and that the laptops will do that if you don't keep it dusted properly (????).

The HP was our last PC computer, which had us running to try a Mac. We own both a Mac desktop and laptop, and they are both fabulous. The laptop is preferred because of the portability, but otherwise they are essentially the same. They are a bit more expensive than lots of PCs, but the money is well worth it.

I would look for a laptop. It's just so much more convenient, not to mention portable. I bring my laptop to the table during lessons so we can look things up or do a bit of writing without having to go to the desktop where there's not enough room to really spread out your books and stuff.

Also, get a PC. It's easiest to find the programs you want and is much more affordable (then there is the whole Apple corporate ethics things, but that may or not be relevant to you).

You're in an enviable position. :) Frankly, since you've been using a 10 year old computer, you'll be able to walk into the clearance section of any big box electronics store and find a clearance laptop (and I'd recommend a laptop. I love desktops but that's because I like to crack the case and fiddle around with inner workings) for $500 or less that will do everything you want it too.

Toshiba and Hp have been good to us. A Dell would be another great option although a little pricier.

Stay away from netbooks though. Those are the very cute little computers that look like mini-laptops. They're under powered and usually lack a lot of features, like DVD drives, that you'd get in a laptop.

You can go to Apple but it's a lot more money. I suspect you've already got a PC so there'd be a learning curve as well.

:thumbup: You see me, you really see me! LOL!

I'm taking lots of notes here.

I had not considered a Mac. That's what I used when I worked and did forms and graphic design, but that's been LONG ago. Hmmm...I do know a man than builds them, didn't think about that either. Need to narrow this down... I use it for ummm...email, internet, email, internet, form creation, word processing, email, internet, and the kids like to play games. (My 14 yo has the Sims, but it won't work on our current computer.)

Am I missing anything?

One tech guy told me to stay away from Dell laptops, someone else recommended Toshiba, that's as far as I've got with actual shopping.

Does the Apple Store offer payments plans? ;)

Processors:

Dual processor, i3, i5 , or i7

No Celeron processors

AMD Phenom II or TurionII

Minimum speed 2.5 GHz (depends on type of processor)

(See Processor Notes)

Note: Socket version prefered

Memory:

No less than 3 GB

4 GB or more preferred

DDR3 SDRAM

Operating System:

No XP – will not be supported!

Win 7 Professional or Ultimate

Brand:

Gateway, HP, Toshiba, Samsung ASUS

Avoid Compaq, Acer, eMachine (considered a disposable computer)

Power Supply:

300 – 450 watts for normal use

500-650 watts for more than typical use

Hard Drive:

Storage minimum of 160 GB

RPMs minimum 7200

SATA preferred

Note: many applications require 1 GB of space and the OS should have 20 GB always

Optical Drives:

DVD/CD RW Combo

DVD Reader and CD RW drives (2)

Network Card:

RJ45 Connection

100 Base

PCI or onboard

Continue to Next Post ... I triend to break it all down and explain it all. I sure as heck hope this is what you needed. :) I don't do this often. You'all better bookmark this crap, LOL.

1. Quad processors - Gives you strong multitasking power. Gives you the power if gaming or need it for multimedia use. Quad Processors gives you four independent cores in a single package.

2. Dual Core Processor - Power to multitask with common applications and large files. Example: Pentium Dual-Core. The dual core is just the stripped down version of the Core 2 Duo. They perform like the Core 2 Duo but the price is lower.

3. Core 2 Duo processors - Capable of running business applications while handling background programs-most notably your Internet Security or Anti-virus software. The Core 2 Duo processors offers you energy efficiency without compromising your system speed or performance. The Core 2 Duo is faster than the Dual Core.

4. Celeron and AMD Sempron - Cost-effective for basic business computing tasks.

5. Intel Core Duo 2 - Samples of the Intel Core Duo 2 are as follows:

• Intel Core Duo 2 E7600- Two Cores, Clock Speed of 3.06 2.93 Ghz, Cache 3 MB, FSB 1066
  • E7500 - Clock speed 2.93 Ghz, Cache 3 MB, Two Cores, FSB 1066

As The "EXXXX" goes down so does the clock speed, cache and FSB

6. Intel Core - The newest Intel Core is the i3, i5 and i7. These processors use the Nehalem, Westmere, and soon, Sandy Bridge micro-architecture. However, these processors are not based on specific technical features, but on level of capabilities.

• i7-Used for business and high-end users
  • i5-Intended for everyday applications.
  • i3-Intended for entry-level-This processor is to replace the Core 2 brand

****FSB Defined-Front Side Bus-connecting path between the processor and other key components. Measures in GHz and/or MHz

****Clock Speed Defined - Clock Speed is the speed at which a processor executes instructions. The faster the clock speed, the more instructions the CPU can execute per second.

7. Intel Atom - Intel Atom processor is used mainly in netbooks, nettops and mobile Internet devices. Performance of a single core Atom is about half that of a Pentium M clock rate. The future for the Atom chip may be improving. It's been rumored that the new chip that Intel is creating will boast higher clock speeds and double performance, and double the graphical power. The direct competitor of the Intel Atom is AMD's Athon Neo.

8. AMD Athlon - AMD Athlon producing different processors for different needs:

• AMD Athlon X2 - AMD Athlon X2 Dual-Core Processor - gives you two processing cores, residing on one chip. Enables you to increase efficiency and speed while running multiple programs (In other words it allows users to switch from one program to another without pausing for the computer to catch up).
  • AMD Athlon II
  • AMD Phenom and AMD Phenom II

Now, If you want the power of a Mac without the Mac price ... apple to apple ... you could search for deals and wait for specials, but this would mean i7 processor would be the equivalent. Most home users are very pleased with the ASUS i3 processor with 1Tb hard drive and 4 GB memory. You would have a hard time not being pleased. Do purchase internet security bundle (not just AV) and use it. :) Trend Micro and Kapersky top my list, but low-cost solutions for budget strapped families should consider looking at Zone Alarm Extreme Security.

Any questions? Toss them in my mailbox! LOL I will not argue Apple vs Microsoft. Each have their place.

I am tired so please spare the spelling police. :)

We are very happy with the Mac Mini we got last year. I don't think we got the lowest of the low in terms of price but not the top either. We are very very happy with it. We are using our old monitor with it so after all was said and done including crazy high tax we were out about $1k.

:thumbup: You see me, you really see me! LOL!

I'm taking lots of notes here.

I had not considered a Mac. That's what I used when I worked and did forms and graphic design, but that's been LONG ago. Hmmm...I do know a man than builds them, didn't think about that either. Need to narrow this down... I use it for ummm...email, internet, email, internet, form creation, word processing, email, internet, and the kids like to play games. (My 14 yo has the Sims, but it won't work on our current computer.)

Am I missing anything?

One tech guy told me to stay away from Dell laptops, someone else recommended Toshiba, that's as far as I've got with actual shopping.

Does the Apple Store offer payments plans? ;)

Honestly, I still think a clearance-section laptop would suit you beautifully. There's honestly nothing you're doing that would require a really powerful machine and I don't think there would be any compelling reason (at all) to spend more then $500. Then you could load it up with free, open source software like Open Office and you're laughing.

That does put Macs out of the picture but you don't sound like you've had any issues with your PC so why spend the extra? And since your kids play a lot of games a PC might be a safer bet to insure you won't have any issues with them getting games that will only work on PC. And again, stay away from netbooks. That lack of a DVD/CD drive could really be a pain for your son trying to play The Sims. :)

If someone recommending Toshiba then go for that - Toshiba's a safe bet. We have a Toshiba laptop it's it been excellent for us.

Honestly, your requirements are minimal. You don't need anything expensive, fancy or powerful. You just need need an everyday workhorse. Any laptop from a good brand is going to make you happy. :)

• 3 weeks later...
:lurk5:

So did you buy it? Don't leave us hanging!

Blessings,

Lucinda

Yep! Went with the IMac Desktop. Got the educational discount and $100 Itunes Gift Card. ;)

You must have missed my other "help" threads since I got it, LOL! Still learning and there's much to learn...but oh so much better! I went from a 10 year old PC and dial-up to a IMac and broadband - I need a flashmob to breakout and express all the joy I'm feeling :lol::lol:

Thank you all for your help and advice! This is an awesome network of knowledge! You make me feel smarter :D

Yep! Went with the IMac Desktop. Got the educational discount and $100 Itunes Gift Card. ;)

You must have missed my other "help" threads since I got it, LOL! Still learning and there's much to learn...but oh so much better! I went from a 10 year old PC and dial-up to a IMac and broadband - I need a flashmob to breakout and express all the joy I'm feeling :lol::lol:

Thank you all for your help and advice! This is an awesome network of knowledge! You make me feel smarter :D

Oh Tina! I could deal with the creationism thing but a Mac? I'm soooo disappointed in you.

:DCongrats!

:hurray::hurray: HURRAY FOR YOU!! :hurray::hurray:

I don't want to spark up another Mac/PC debate, but I was hoping you'd convert to the other side. I use both platforms, but have been a Mac fan since the early days. I've learned over the years that a Mac most often outlives a PC, and that is based on both personal and professional use over a span of 20 years.

Enjoy your new machine! I'm happy for you.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I don't want to spark up another Mac/PC debate, but I was hoping you'd convert to the other side. I use both platforms, but have been a Mac fan since the early days. I've learned over the years that a Mac most often outlives a PC, and that is based on both personal and professional use over a span of 20 years.

Enjoy your new machine! I'm happy for you.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Uh oh, I didn't know there have been debates! I am glad you all stirred me in this direction though! And if this last as long as my 10 yr old PC, I'll be a very happy convert for years to come :cheers2:

Run, don't walk (or drive your fastest car :auto:) to your nearest APPLE store and call me in the morning. Oh wait, you won't need to because...

1. MACS are AWESOME and you'll be so immersed you won't WANT to call me.

2. MACS are AWESOME and you won't need any help working it!

:lol:

So how DO you feel about Macs? :lol:

Coincidently, I was just sitting here this morning thinking...MACS are AWESOME! :D