Menu

For those that use CC at home only, can I see a schedule??

golfcartmama

Hello! I have most of what I need to implement Classical Conversations at home starting this fall (I'll do cycle 3). Anyway, if you're doing CC at home how much time per day do you spend, 20 minutes? Is that enough to get through it all in a school year?? Do you just listen to the cd and review the flash cards...how are you implementing?

I know this has probably been answered before, but when I searched, the threads were all about the communities, so if you can link me, I'd appreciate it!!

We do CC at home.

Typically, we start a new week on Monday with just listening to the CD and looking at the memory cards - about 15/20 minutes. (Our Mondays were busy, so this is why we did it this way.) Then on Tuesday, we would actually spend 30-45 minutes on the material - looking over the maps, reading about the history info, looking up the science info, etc. The rest of the week, my child just listened to the CD while looking at the memory cards.

We ended up dropping the Veritas Press history cards, as I tried to pack too much into our schedule and that was what got cut. We own them all and I would like to start using them again this summer.

We typically go through 5 weeks, then spend a 6th week on review. I have no grand plans on finishing a cycle in a year, so that is our rough schedule.

Thanks! Actually the only piece I'm lacking is the VP cards...so it's good the hear they're not absolutely necessary! One other question, if you've already covered the topic in history, for example, do you just do a quick review or more in depth as well? I'm excited to do this, I just don't want to get overwhelmed!

I tried CC at home and found it difficult to complete at home without accountability. I am hoping to be apart of a community this year if we have enough interest in our area. If not, I will attempt at home again. I think you need the foundations book and the cds. The resource cd gives you the maps and printables that are very helpful. My plan would be to have an introduction of new material, science project, fine arts project, and anything else a community would cover on Monday. I plan on spending about 2 hours that day. The others days the children will listen to the lessons on the CD. On Friday, I might review with them and look at the VP cards.

Edited to add:

I will supplement CC with SOTW for history and anatomy books and projects for science. We will also do LA and Math. That will be all we do. I'm looking forward to a simplified year.

• 1 month later...
Guest Rn4jchrist

Hi everyone!!

This is our 3rd yr hs-ing and decided to do CC this year @ home (tuition is a bit much with 3 kiddos) bought all the time line cards, science cards, audio CDs & foundations guide!! So excited to begin!!

We tried SOTW1 but I lost the kids attention by ch. 8 lol

We are starting our school year on august 1. I will have a Prek5/1stgr/3rdgr

I was told CC at home really shouldn't take more than 1-2hrs for history/science/Latin/geography. I'll have to check back in once I set our schedule. (starting with cycle 2, hoping to complete cycle 3 before Fall 2012 Incase we join the group :-)

Dawn

If you want your children to memorize a timeline for history you will need the VP cards.there is no other history timeline in the cc materials. Also the CD ( not the audio one, I can't remember what it is called at the moment) will give your dc a visual that they can look at. You can print it out and make a binder for them or have them look at it on the computer. It also has the maps for geography. Read the Core to learn how to do the geography. Also there are hand signs for the history memory you can find on you tube. Also each week post the material in your home somewhere. I print it out and tape it to one of those cardboard display boards that stand up. Then they are looking at it everyday, this made mine attempt to read when they couldn't read yet. You may have to tell yours to review the board each day. Also it is a reminder to me I just randomly ask them questions troughout the day, like what are the parts of an animal cell? Or do you remember ______? We do an organized review, but I find bringing it up at other times seals it in better. If you have any questions just ask. We will be doing cycle 3 this year. Some good science resources are The answers in genesis set Gods design for.... because they seem to cover all of the topics covered in cc science. Also the everything you always need to know about science, history, american history, geography books by scholastic were recommended by cc in the 1st edition of the foundations guide. I have them also.

I set up a large white board exactly like a tutor would. You can see a poor sample here with the various subject work written out. Here is also a post I wrote about memorizing a timeline.

On Monday (or whatever day you start your week) we start with memory work and go over each section several times. I use a small white board and we'll do "disappearing sentences," chants, etc. I have them say the memory work, even though it's sung on the CD's so that they are learning it with, as well as without the mnemonic of the tune. The bulk of the hard work is done the first day of the week, especially if they are listening to the CD. As the week progresses they become much more comfortable with the work.

As the weeks go on we'll do consistent reveiw of the previous work.

The kids listen to the weeks memory each day. I generally assign them 3 times a day.

VP cards are memorized with the dates. Once we've done several weeks we start playing games like I'll mix them up and they have to put them in the right order. We go over them as flash cards together a couple times a day.

The CD's are great resources but we haven't used them like a lot of other families have.

Edited by laughing lioness

I tried CC at home and found it difficult to complete at home without accountability. I am hoping to be apart of a community this year if we have enough interest in our area. If not, I will attempt at home again. I think you need the foundations book and the cds. The resource cd gives you the maps and printables that are very helpful. My plan would be to have an introduction of new material, science project, fine arts project, and anything else a community would cover on Monday. I plan on spending about 2 hours that day. The others days the children will listen to the lessons on the CD. On Friday, I might review with them and look at the VP cards.

Edited to add:

I will supplement CC with SOTW for history and anatomy books and projects for science. We will also do LA and Math. That will be all we do. I'm looking forward to a simplified year.

Hi everyone!!

This is our 3rd yr hs-ing and decided to do CC this year @ home (tuition is a bit much with 3 kiddos) bought all the time line cards, science cards, audio CDs & foundations guide!! So excited to begin!!

Dawn

If you do CC at home, just like when we did Latin at home.... just invite some friends!! It works out well, provides accountability, and allows you to pop in what you'd rather. For example, I like LFC and Shurley Jingles. Perfect! (You have to make it like a regular class; Monday at 10 or whatever)

I was also thinking about checking out the Catholic one that was mentioned. I believe it uses the 4 year cycle.

I like the flexibility of local decisions. :)