Menu

We got our fancy camera.....now what?!?

Dh and I don't know where to start. The manual is so complicated we are a little freaked out by the whole thing. We got a Nikon D60. Does anyone have any ideas where we should even start. I have read Ree's stuff before getting the camera, but I need even more basic stuff! Thanks!!!

SInce having our professional photography session at our house, and the photographer used a Nikon btw, I'm so ready to ditch my little digital and invest in a nice quality camera.

My dad was a big photographer growing up and used to let me help him in his dark room. Those were great memories.

Anyway, I know the photographer we hired holds a free "point and click" class for amateur photographers. Maybe you could call around or look online for something like that to get you started.

Good luck!

I sat down in the isle and pulled out all the books about using a camera that looked interesting. I chose a couple of them and hauled them off to a chair to read. After checking them over and reading the same section on "shutter" settings (to compare clarity), I chose one...and later chose a 2nd one....

And I am slowly working my way into the use of my manual settings.

I'd have to run upstairs to get my books and I'm lazy this morning. LOL! If you want more info, I can get it for you---but really, you need to find something that fits you and what you know.

Also--I was scheduled to take a photography class the last weekend of May, but I had to cancel due to scheduling problems. You might want to look into whether anyone gives weekend classes in your area.

I use my camera on auto most of the time right now, but I hope to learn how to use it manually bit by bit.

Enjoy!

J

I normally start with reading the review at dpreview. The pictures and outlines of the functions work MUCH better for me than the manual ever does! LOL!! I've had my camera almost 3 years and still go to Phil's review over the manual :D

Then the forums there are great for specific info (beware though, they are well, ya, normally men without tolerance...... often...... but i read a lot on the forums i'm not comfy diving in and posting).

There is going to be huge amount of books and stuff you buy to get started too. So maybe a trip to the bookstore and see which authors write in a style you like the best?

Understanding Exposure is a highly rated book in most places.

Most of all - take lots of pictures and have fun with it!!!!!!

Dh and I don't know where to start. The manual is so complicated we are a little freaked out by the whole thing. We got a Nikon D60. Does anyone have any ideas where we should even start. I have read Ree's stuff before getting the camera, but I need even more basic stuff! Thanks!!!

I think it's just too much for you. Why don't you pass that baby on this way. ;)

Congrats! I am a wee bit jealous. It's on my list someday. But I wanted the king bed much more!

You sound like me and my new Olympus E510 a couple months ago...and I am STILL figuring it out! Look on-line for websites that have instructions - I found several where knowledgeable folks posted instructions with photos and short film clips on how to use the Olympus. Far easier to understand than the teensy-print instruction manual that came with the camera! You can also Google for specific questions about your camera, too. The Internet is a great help!

The D60 is a great camera. Put it on auto and start clicking. I hope you have a lot of hard drive space and a good program to organize the pictures.

I don't know how basic you are but here's what I tell the family when they get a camera.

There are three things you can change. The lens opening (aperture), the shutter speed and the sensitivity of the "film" (sensor). Taking pictures is a game where you trade off these things to get a good exposure. Now either you're ready to slap me for being too basic or you've slapped your own forehead and gone, Riiiiiight.

Set the camera for Auto (the green one) and start clicking. That's the easiest way to get some shots right away. But the camera doesn't know if you're taking pictures of a poopy kid or a gazelle. That's why you have all those other choices. You can use the pictures on the little wheel... read up on those, they come in handy. But you should know what the letters do. That's how to learn to take pictures.

M - manual. You're adjusting both the shutter and the aperture.

S - Shutter priority. You're adjusting the shutter with the little wheel upper right on the back and the camera is adjusting the aperture. You use this so you can control when to stop the action (fast shutter speed) or let things blur (slow shutter speed).

A - Aperture priority. You're adjusting the aperture with the little wheel upper right on the back and the camera is adjusting the shutter to compensate. (you use this to control depth of field, how much of the picture is in focus.

big number f16 = little lens opening = large depth of field = lots of the frame in focus = slow shutter speed.

small number f5.6 = big lens opening = small depth of field = just what you focused on in focus and the background blurry = fast shutter speed)

P - Program. The camera is adjusting both aperture and shutter. The difference between this and auto is that, under auto, the camera will turn on the flash when it thinks it's needed. Under program you have to do it.

Hope that helps some.

Just read that manual and sit with it and take pictures while you are reading it... look at them, take them again. (Take them of dumb stuff even.) Just to help yourself understand the settings. OH and PLAY!! :D Just take lots of pictures. Use auto for a while and just have fun with it. Then start fiddling with "stuff". Try using Aperture priority (I find aperture is easier to figure out at first than shutter speed.) Try (when indoors and in low light) changing your ISO settings to a higher number. When in bright settings (outside or by a nice big window), turn your flash off. Take multiples of pictures because sometimes you will get a couple of bad ones before you get the perfect one.

Read up on lighting too. You can learn so much just by googling stuff that you want to find out about. There is stuff all over the internet... articles and tutorials galore.

Most of all, HAVE FUN!! Congratulations! Oh and check out this really helpful blog: Digital Photography School