Menu

Too bad parsing isn't taught much anymore

cornopean

The older grammar books always had students parse words. Here is an example (see the Direction in the middle of the page)

Here is an example of parsing,

The fox stole the chicken.

The student might be asked to parse the word "stole" in the above sentence.

"stole" is an irregular verb, transitive, active voice, present tense, third person, either gender, corresponding to the subject "fox".

Do any of you still do this kinda stuff? do any of the contemporary grammar curriculums require this? Imagine how useful this would be when it came time to learn a foreign language!

I think the advantage is that it requires the student to bring together everything he knows about a given part of speech and note it.

but I am interested in hearing your opinions.

This is the technique often used for Latin teaching - so I would not see the point of doing it often in English if one was already doing it in Latin. I agree it is an excellent skill, one too often ignored.

Well I learned to parse when I learned Greek. Then when I started teaching junior high language, I naturally had my students start to parse English parts of speech. I got some very puzzled looks from parents as they examined their child's work. :001_smile: The students hate it like mad but.........fun isn't my highest value as a teacher.:D:D:glare::glare:

Analytical Grammar also does parsing and diagramming (which I really like). I was taught to diagram when in school but I just recently what parsing was! Imagine that!!! I really could see the advantages of that and when I saw that AG had both I was thrilled. I think it will be of great benefit to my children. We have not started Latin yet and so I think this is great. (Can you tell I am just a bit excited about this, I mean really, who gets this excited over grammar?:D:tongue_smilie:)

blessings all

btw....this software has students parse all the parts of speech, phrases, clauses and sentences. It is outstanding software. Our school uses it.

It actually has a "charting" assignment where students actually diagram sentences on their screen. then the student is asked to parse every word in the sentence. it is the only program I know that does anything like it. I happened upon it quite by chance and I regard it as the finest pieceh of educational software I have ever encountered.

(this is not an advertisement. I have zero relationship with the producers.:glare:)

btw....this software has students parse all the parts of speech, phrases, clauses and sentences. It is outstanding software. Our school uses it.

It actually has a "charting" assignment where students actually diagram sentences on their screen. then the student is asked to parse every word in the sentence. it is the only program I know that does anything like it. I happened upon it quite by chance and I regard it as the finest pieceh of educational software I have ever encountered.

(this is not an advertisement. I have zero relationship with the producers.:glare:)

cbd.com has it for less.

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?Ntk=keywords&Ntt=GramTech+&action=Search&N=0&Ne=0&event=ESRCN&nav_search=1&cms=1&Go.x=9&Go.y=10

We have this. You do have to understand the terms and their use before you can use the software effectively. Then it's sort of like a puzzle or mystery, doing the actual work. (Not in the graphics-- that's very bare bones boring.)

cbd.com has it for less.

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?Ntk=keywords&Ntt=GramTech+&action=Search&N=0&Ne=0&event=ESRCN&nav_search=1&cms=1&Go.x=9&Go.y=10

We have this. You do have to understand the terms and their use before you can use the software effectively. Then it's sort of like a puzzle or mystery, doing the actual work. (Not in the graphics-- that's very bare bones boring.)

Yes it is rather tedious, but I never did regard "fun" as all that important when it comes to education. Some stuff is just tedious and there is no way around it. It simply has to be done. yes?