Menu

Would you do ancients in 12th or 9th grade?

I have heard SWB and some others mention the thought that the ancients year of great books/history is more difficult in reading level and that the modern (year 4 of rotation) contains more disturbing ideas. I would love to hear from anyone who has been through this and what your experiences or thoughts are. Do you prefer doing them in order or do you think a student would benefit more from saving the ancients until 12th grade?

I have an upcoming 8th grader and am trying to figure out what our plan will be for high school history/great books. I am considering combining both AO and WTM. I very much like aspects of both. If I use the AO history timing, ancients are studied in year 12. I have to figure out what we are going to cover this year to be prepared for 9-12th.

Thanks,

Katie

Very do-able to combine WTM and AO ancients -- AND do them with a younger student -- just depends which works you select. At the 8th/9th grade level, for high interest and accessibility, go with the myths and epics. The bonus: these works are *often* referenced and alluded to in the REST of classic literature that your students will read throughout the rest of high school, and they'll GET it! :) Then in 11th/12th grade you can include a few other ancients, such as Plutarch's histories, Plato's Republic, and some of Aristotle and you'll be amazed at how they match up with Modern History, Civics/Government, and Worldviews studies -- much of our thinking today is founded on these ancient thinkers and authors, so it is an excellent idea to read them during your Gov't and Philosophy/Worldviews studies.

We did the ancients in a WTM / WEM manner with our two DSs, then grades 8 and 9, using some full translations and some prose adaptations. They also read some historical fiction (below their reading level) on their own many from the Sonlight 6 ancients, plus some other titles they got to choose from. Below is the list of ancient Great Books we covered -- and enjoyed them all! Doing a few adaptations helped keep us from "burning out" on "too much ancients". As our Literature that year, we did Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings, and it was very nice to have a bit of a break from all those ancient warriors! ;) BEST of luck, whatever you decide! Warmest regards, Lori D.

- Gilgamesh and Other Babylonian Tales (prose retelling by Jennifer Westwood)

- Tales of Ancient Egypt (Green) -- collection of myths, legends, and folktales)

- The Iliad (Fagles translation)

- The Odyssey (Fagles translation)

- various Greek myths

- Oedipus the King (Fitzgerald translation)

- Antigone (Fitzgerald translation)

- The Aeneid for Boys and Girls (prose retelling by Alfred Church)

- Till We Have Faces (Lewis)

I have heard SWB and some others mention the thought that the ancients year of great books/history is more difficult in reading level and that the modern (year 4 of rotation) contains more disturbing ideas.

Hmmm... I think some of the ancients are a hard read. But I think modern history is more scary than reading about something long ago. The ancients take on a mythic feeling, so it isn't as scary as, say, reading about the Cuban Missile Crisis.

I also think it's good to do government and economics when kids are old enough to apply them to their ideas about voting and living in their own country.

Lastly, I like to start at the beginning and go chronologically. It makes sense to be ordered in my brain, and to some extent the later events are better understood in light of the earlier events, such as studying WWII after WWI and even more so if you are studying history from a Christian viewpoint.

But a good question for thought.

Julie

DD just did Ancients in 9th and had no difficulties. DD read Iliad, Odyssey (we liked the Fitzgerald translation), Aeneid , Herodotus Histories, Sophocles Oedipus trilogy, and Ovid's Metamorphoses. Plus secondary literature (Day in old Rome, Day in old Athens, and others). We listened to 72 lectures from the Teaching Company for background and in-depth understanding.

I like going chronological, so later references can be understood - to me, it makes more sense to have read Virgil before studying Dante's Divine Comedy where he features prominently.

I do not think modern literature is generally easier to read - it depends on what you choose. I find Faulkner and James Joyce much harder to read than Homeric epics.

The bonus: these works are *often* referenced and alluded to in the REST of classic literature that your students will read throughout the rest of high school, and they'll GET it! :) Then in 11th/12th grade you can include a few other ancients, such as Plutarch's histories, Plato's Republic, and some of Aristotle and you'll be amazed at how they match up with Modern History, Civics/Government, and Worldviews studies -- much of our thinking today is founded on these ancient thinkers and authors, so it is an excellent idea to read them during your Gov't and Philosophy/Worldviews studies.

This sounds logical to me. I love that they will understand the references in their readings in later years. Thank you for listing the books that your family read and liked. I also like throwing some in during the jr/sr years, especially if they were something we wanted to cover in 9th and didn't get to. The whole "great books" thing is new to me. I didn't have this type of education. I wish I had. I plan to read as many as I can with my daughter. But, I still have two younger dds to teach, too. So, I'll do what I can. I am really looking forward to reading some of these great works. I just wish I had the prior experience with the books to know how to connect them to works she will read later. I will just learn along with her.

Thanks again Lori!

Katie

Lastly, I like to start at the beginning and go chronologically. It makes sense to be ordered in my brain, and to some extent the later events are better understood in light of the earlier events, such as studying WWII after WWI and even more so if you are studying history from a Christian viewpoint.

Julie

I agree that chronological makes sense. AO goes chronologically but at a slower pace. But, they wait to do the ancients during the senior year. I kept going back and forth on which to do. My daughter is looking forward to the ancients, so that helps with the idea of doing it in 9th.

I think my plan is for her to do year 4 (plus some things from yr 3 that she didn't finish this year) for 8th grade this fall. Then head into the ancients for 9th.

Thank you Julie for your input!

Katie

DD just did Ancients in 9th and had no difficulties. DD read Iliad, Odyssey (we liked the Fitzgerald translation), Aeneid , Herodotus Histories, Sophocles Oedipus trilogy, and Ovid's Metamorphoses. Plus secondary literature (Day in old Rome, Day in old Athens, and others). We listened to 72 lectures from the Teaching Company for background and in-depth understanding.

I like going chronological, so later references can be understood - to me, it makes more sense to have read Virgil before studying Dante's Divine Comedy where he features prominently.

I do not think modern literature is generally easier to read - it depends on what you choose. I find Faulkner and James Joyce much harder to read than Homeric epics.

This gives me confidence to go ahead and do them in 9th. Did you feel that the TC lectures really helped?

Thanks so much for your help!

I prefer to do modern history with an older child because I think it's more relevant to them as adults. I want dd to be able to have a firm understanding of US history and government as a young adult about to embark on taking on the privilege and responsibility of voting and having a say in our government. So, we're doing ancients in 9th, modern history and government in 11th and 12th grades.

Did you feel that the TC lectures really helped?

The lectures by Elizabeth Vandiver are absolutely fantastic!

We had The Iliad (12 lectures), The Odyssey( 12 lectures), The Aeneid (12), Greek Mythology (24) and Greek Tragedy (we listened to a subset of the 24 total lectures).

Dr. Vanidver's lectures are a pleasure to listen to (we did audio) and even my 11y/o begged for more. We learned a great deal. For example, the lectures explained the cultural background for the Iliad and the value system of that time - information without which it is impossible to understand Achilles' behavior in the Iliad. They explained the origin and context of Greek tragedies.

I have no classical background, so these were very valuable resource for us.

Of the Tc lectures I am familiar with, these are my favorites.

Hmmm... I think some of the ancients are a hard read. But I think modern history is more scary than reading about something long ago. The ancients take on a mythic feeling, so it isn't as scary as, say, reading about the Cuban Missile Crisis.

I also think it's good to do government and economics when kids are old enough to apply them to their ideas about voting and living in their own country.

Julie

:iagree:

There are some topics that come in modern history that are better to deal with when a student is older. My ds is already so cynical about the world he sees around him. Seeing how the same problems have been dealt with throughout history helps see our modern world through a different lenses.

I prefer to do modern history with an older child because I think it's more relevant to them as adults. I want dd to be able to have a firm understanding of US history and government as a young adult about to embark on taking on the privilege and responsibility of voting and having a say in our government. So, we're doing ancients in 9th, modern history and government in 11th and 12th grades.

:iagree:This too.

We're doing Ancients this year in 9th. It also seems that to study the Renaissance/Reformation around Jr year coincides with the turning point in most teens getting their license when a whole new world opens up to them.

We had The Iliad (12 lectures), The Odyssey( 12 lectures), The Aeneid (12), Greek Mythology (24) and Greek Tragedy (we listened to a subset of the 24 total lectures).

Dr. Vanidver's lectures are a pleasure to listen to (we did audio) and even my 11y/o begged for more. We learned a great deal. For example, the lectures explained the cultural background for the Iliad and the value system of that time - information without which it is impossible to understand Achilles' behavior in the Iliad. They explained the origin and context of Greek tragedies.

:iagree:

Although we can't compete with your 72 lectures ( !! ) we did get a lot out of using TTC this year. I wasn't sure how my ds would respond, but he responded well. I think they also sort-of "legitimized" these ancient classics for him, showing how well-known they are and the detail to which some folks are looking at them. They helped me get him to look deeper. He often used her examples within his essays.

We watched all of the Iliad, a few Odyssey, and two from Greek Tragedy. I, myself, watched the whole sets and got even more as a "teacher" (we won't do Rome/Aeneid til next year). We used library versions for some, although when I was using a whole set, I really found it helpful to have my own set, that didn't have different due dates, didn't arrive in pieces at different times, and was sure to have the outline booklet.

Julie

Thanks regentrude! Are these individual classes like you have them listed? It is not a complete set right?

I saw that it said they run every title on sale at least once a year. Maybe I should be buying & watching the sales throughout the year to prepare for 9th. $19.95 is pretty doable for us, 2 or 3 that you listed are on sale now. There is no way I could swing the $90 reg price.

Did you find what you listed above just right to cover in a year of study?

One more question, you listed Greek Mythology, I only see Classical Mythology, I don't mean to sound like I am picking, just want to make sure I am looking at the right thing?

Thanks,

Katie

Thanks regentrude! Are these individual classes like you have them listed? It is not a complete set right?

These are individual sets. - some of 12, some of 24 lectures.

I saw that it said they run every title on sale at least once a year. Maybe I should be buying & watching the sales throughout the year to prepare for 9th. $19.95 is pretty doable for us, 2 or 3 that you listed are on sale now. There is no way I could swing the $90 reg price.

I never buy any TC lectures at regular price (does anybody?). Wait for the sale. You can also check Amazon, I bought several of them used. Some libraries carry them as well.

Did you find what you listed above just right to cover in a year of study?

It was an intense year of study for a strong reader. We spent 290 hours on history/English combined.

One more question, you listed Greek Mythology, I only see Classical Mythology, I don't mean to sound like I am picking, just want to make sure I am looking at the right thing?

Sorry for the mistake - yes, the lectures are called Classical mythology.

ETA: Dr. Vandiver also has a lecture series on Herodotus. I did not find out about it until we were through Herodotus and DD was not enthusiastic about dwelling more on the Histories.

I use a modified AO from 6th through 12th grade. We do Ancient History in 6th (the most heavily modified AO year for us--I omit all the 20th century materials and fill in with Egypt, etc.)

Then we follow AO (mostly--I add a few books for non-European history, and substitute occasionally) with :

7th: Middle Ages

8th: Renaissance/Reformation

9th: 1600-1800

10th: 1800-1900

11th: 1900-present

12th: Ancient World (much more in depth than in 6th grade)

This allow both modern history and ancient history to be saved for the later years of high school--one for disturbing ideas, and the other for difficult reading, while still giving the background of ancient thought for the medieval studies and beyond. AO studies government/economics from 7th through 12th, with increasingly complex materials.

We spread Ancients over two years in the final History rotation, so we coordinate our literature studies with that:

1st year: Greece

2nd year: Rome

3rd year: Medieval World to Humanism

4th year: Renaissance to Neoclassicism

5th year: Romanticism to 20th/21st century

Their English readings will not strictly follow that pattern - in fact, I intend to allow a completely different grouping of works; but I find it very important that the chronology is firmly covered in one language, because then you can follow the line. Additionally, in 3rd through 5th year Dante is covered in-depth (one canticle per year), and Ancient literature is still in the curriculum, only transferred to classical languages and literatures lessons, rather than grouped with Italian or English.

As to what I do for general education (i.e. NOT in Greek or in Latin lessons, but as a part of Literature-History, and also not Biblical, as I cover that separately):

Greece (done this year with DD14, next year with DD13)

Homeric epics (one or both)

Hesiod: Theogony

Aeschylus: Prometheus Bound

Sophocles: Oedipus Rex; Antigone; Oedipus at Colonus

Euripides: Medea, one Iphigenia

(+ one Electra if there is time and interest)

Aristophanes: one comedy

Apollonius Rhodius: Argonautica (not in its entirety)

Samples of poetry throughout the epochs (though I prefer doing this in Greek lessons)

I prefer to tie historiography and philosophy with Greek lessons, and then to expand on many things and include other readings all through the last year.

Rome (doing it next year with DD14)

Plautus - Aulularia, Menaechmi and/or Miles Gloriosus

Virgil - Aeneid (done already by now, but will go through it again)

Terence - one work

Ovid - Metamorphoses, Tristia

Seneca - one work

Apuleus - Asinus Aureus

History, rhetoric and philosophy is grouped with Latin; an overview of poetry is done; much of this will at least partially be read (or was already) as a part of Latin lessons anyway. I am still having second thoughts about some of these, but this is a general plan.

As to why is it important to go chronological...

Dante is ILLEGIBLE without, among other things, the context of Roman antiquity, the transmission of culture in Medieval times, overall Medievan context and a firm understanding where from his knowledge of Greek sources comes (otherwise you cannot even pretend to understand, for example, Dante's Ulysses in XXVI canto of Inferno if you have a Homeric model in your mind without the understanding of these things, etc.). And if you skip Dante, you have "only" skipped the most representative and the most compact Medieval "encyclopaedia" out there.

Moliere? Difficult to get some nuances without a background in ancient comedy.

French classicist tragedy, Alfieri in Italy, etc.? Forget it without ancients and mythology background.

Basically, all up to Romanticism things are very interdependent. Romanticism and further, not so much, one is a lot more free to pick and choose and skip without losing the big context.

And all of that is only literature... What about much of the canon of Western art history, philosophy, opera, etc., that you will wish to study / see / attend in high school? If you do not cover Ancients at the beginning, you are severing yourself from MANY subtleties of all of that, many repetitive motives, lacking a firm understanding where things stem from. Sure, one can always make up for things later, but it just not the same as studying things in diachrony, establishing connections, etc.

As for the reading level: it is overstated. Many of those works are NOT hard to read due to language, but due to unfamiliarity with the cultural context (which, if you make sure to use additional readings for the sake of context and explanation, will not be a problem), the fact that they are written in a different epoch and there are two to three millenia of distance between a modern reader and them. I actually find many newer works to be more demanding, whether syntactically or by overcrowded motives they carry or maturity-wise. Ancients are a good match for 8th-9th grade, and then if you homeschool classically and do classical languages, you can of course continue to read as a part of those classes.

I would definately do ancients in 9th and not in 12th. I found that my children connected with the struggles of the heros in ancients well when they were younger. Something like the struggles of the hero in The Great Gatsby and other moderns would have been totally lost on them when they were young. Now that my older one is 20, he is suddenly ready for moderns, but he wasn't until now. I realized this at the time and instead of moderns, I decided to do scifi, which I also considered important, especially as all of mine are going into stem fields. We spent about two years on ancients, a year on medieval/renaissance, and a year on the foundation documents and scifi. When we got to reading Emerson, I could tell that I was losing them. They did much better with Plato a few years earlier. I also wouldn't want to put ancients off until 12th because we found that so much built on them. And my children couldn't have handled 20th century history until they were older, either, and I think they are more likely to read modern lit on their own as adults than ancients, especially if they haven't read the ancients before. They had no trouble reading the ancients.

Your milage might vary, though. I have all boys and mine are rather slow blooming.

-Nan

:iagree: (except we did different secondary works :001_smile:)

I see later works as layering on top of the earlier works. I think going in order makes the most sense, because those authors knew the eariler works.

I guess I will be the lone dissenter. We just finished up Year 4 TOG with BOTH of my boys (8th and 10th) doing rhetoric level last year. I guess I just don't get the 20th century being so depressing and not wanting them to read the literature. It is life. My boys LOVED it. We are taking a break for them to do AP Government for this year ( 9th and 11th). Then we will return to TOG for the ancients for their 10th and 12th grade years. To me, the Illiad, Beowulf, etc just seemed SO much harder than Gatsby or To Kill a Mockinbird.

Chrisitne

I guess I will be the lone dissenter. We just finished up Year 4 TOG with BOTH of my boys (8th and 10th) doing rhetoric level last year. I guess I just don't get the 20th century being so depressing and not wanting them to read the literature. It is life. My boys LOVED it. We are taking a break for them to do AP Government for this year ( 9th and 11th). Then we will return to TOG for the ancients for their 10th and 12th grade years. To me, the Illiad, Beowulf, etc just seemed SO much harder than Gatsby or To Kill a Mockinbird.

Chrisitne

Yikes! You didn't find "All Quiet on the Western Front" absolutely brutal?!!

We did it with our (then) age 16yo and 17yo DSs who are not "wimps" (they do see the violence in video games and movies) -- and they were both *stunned* at how brutally despairing AQotWF was... In contrast, while "The Great Gatsby" shows you the sad despair of "the lost generation" of those who had their innocence stripped away in WW1, they were also very consciously making choices -- whereas the characters in AQotWF had no choice once they entered the military; it was all about how they "survive" emotionally by horribly emotionally abusing one another (well, okay, the characters DID have a choice there); the attempts at physical survival; and the absolute horror of inhuman mechanized warfare -- bombs blowing bodies to bits, hiding under coffins of the newly dead, the horses horribly wounded and screaming...

Also in TOG4's rhetoric list is "Metamorphosis", which I find to be VERY sad and hopeless in its existential worldview and the ending of: "oh well, and then he died and they swept away the carcass as though his life didn't matter". And while we all really enjoyed "Animal Farm" and parts of it are quite funny, if you start thinking about the real people and political system it is representing, it's pretty awful -- think of ALL the millions of people brutalized under the repressive communist regime AND all the people crushed under the unregulated capitalist system of the US in the 1870s-1920s... And "The Glass Menagerie" -- fragile abused girl = hopeless! "The Pearl" -- tragic and sad! "Waiting for Godot" -- funny, but ultimately represents a complete lack of God means no meaning in life or for the future! Whew! That's a pretty heavy list!

Gee, this sounds like I am attacking you Christine, and I am NOT at all meaning that! I have tremendous respect for you in being able to handle that list of works in TOG4! :)

Ultimately, your response is making me realize that what this thread REALLY comes down to is "know your own DC and yourself" -- what can each individual mom and her DC handle? Only each individual mom can answer that! (Obviously for us, the existential and hopeless worldviews of many of the modern works were better tackled later than earlier... ;)) But as one lady posts frequently: "your mileage may vary". Guess we all need to dig a little into the works we plan on to make sure they will be the right fit at the right time for our DC. :)

Thank you, Christine. And BEST of luck, everyone, whatever order you decide to do The Great Books in! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Yikes! You didn't find "All Quiet on the Western Front" absolutely brutal?!!

Thinking about it some more, I believe one of the issues with the 20th century literature is not that it is more horrible (really, the rather graphic descriptions of bodily harm inflicted upon people by swords and spears in the Iliad is not for the faint of heart either), but the fact that one can not relegate this to some far away, long ago realm of almost mythological past - but has to accept that this is the own parents' and grandparents' reality!

So while I can distance myself from the violence of the Iliad or Beowulf by the comforting thought that this was many centuries ago, anything about WWI will make me think of my Great-grandfather who was killed then. Anything about WWII will be the reality of my Grandfather who was killed in that war, of my mother who went hungry as a small child in post-war Germany, of my FIL who was sent to fight in the last months of the war as a young teenager - of people who, or at least whose descendents are still alive.

The crusades were a thousand years ago and that makes their horror pale; the Holocaust was just last century, my parents were alive then.

I myself lived under a communist regime; my children hear our stories - for them, 1984 or Animal Farm take on a whole different meaning.

I think it is because of this that 20th century lit hits closer to home, and some of the conflict becomes more tangible and personal. It is not ins some mythological dark past - it is the time that shaped my family member's experiences.

Totally agree with you Regentude. (And may I extend my personal sympathy for all your extended family has experienced in these brutal 20th century events!)

However, I do think a few additional elements come into play, making 20th century lit. even "harder". A big factor to me is the shift in the 19th and 20th centuries in Literature toward emphasizing "the interior" -- the psychological state and feelings/emotions/reactions; for all of "All Quiet", we are stuck inside the character's head, feeling what he feels, reacting as he reacts. In contrast, the battle scenes in The Iliad, while also graphic, do not also include the thoughts and feelings of the characters in that same intimate way; mostly a soldier gets a spear through the temple "and the dark comes swirling down". Homer often gives a paragraph or so of "backstory" on that soldier's parentage and place of origin to help us remember he was a person -- but we don't have a page of description of what the soldier is seeing/experiencing AND all of his accompanying emotions.

Another factor for me is the advent of photography and film. We've all seen real photos and footage of battles and death from the Civil War on, and so it is MUCH easier for us to visualize in gory detail the horrors of war and death from bullets and bombs, than it is to visualize death at the point of a spear or arrow.

And finally, the shift in worldview in the 19th and 20th centuries makes the Modern Literature harder for ME. Loss of faith, loss of a moral absolute, loss of hope or any reason for existence on top of the brutal events in All Quiet make it a much harder work to read for me than Beowulf, which, while there are gruesome murders by Grendal, the story is told from the perspective that there IS moral good and evil, the acts by Grendal are evil and the culture recognizes the men Grendal kills as human beings whose lives had meaning and whose untimely deaths are worth avenging (or, in more recent cultures, bringing to justice). In Beowulf, even at the risk of your own life, there is a an ultimate moral reality worth living for, fighting for, dying for which brings meaning to the entire culture. In All Quiet, mechanized war is shown for the insanity that it is, stripping humans of all humanity, turning them into animals, and destroying them physically, emotionally, spiritually, so that even if they "survive" the war, there is no longer any meaning or hope for living. And THAT is a very hard concept to wrestle through, and so that is why we saved it for later in high school. Just my opinion!

Thank you so much for contributing more food for thought, Regentude! Warmest regards, Lori D.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dss0530

Can you please tell me what the abbreviations stand for. I am not as familiar with curricula and sometimes get lost with all the abbreviations. I would surely appreciate it.

Denise

Can you please tell me what the abbreviations stand for. I am not as familiar with curricula and sometimes get lost with all the abbreviations. I would surely appreciate it.

Denise

The sticky at the top of the forum has some good lists. Ellie gives general abbreviations, and Violet links to homeschool-specific abbreviations:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1506

Denise

Julie linked you to a GREAT resource! To help you with the abbreviations in this specific thread below is a "translation". Warmest regards, Lori D.

SWB = Susan Wise Bauer (author of The Well Trained Mind and The Well Educated Mind)

WTM = Well Trained Mind

WEM = Well Educated Mind

AO = Ambleside Online

TC (or TTC) = The Teaching Company

TOG = Tapestry of Grace

AP = Advanced Placement (high school test showing honors or extra high level of learning, valuable for college admissions)

WWI = World War 1

WWII = World War 2

DS = dear son

DD = dear daughter