Menu

Remedial math for a rising 6th grader?

What resources would you recommend for an 11yo girl who doesn't understand math well?

I'm not even sure where she is in her math abilities, but she doesn't really have a firm grasp on addition and subtraction. She's motivated and excited to learn, so I think she'll do well once she has math explained in a way she can understand. I only have this summer with her, so I don't think I have time to take her through something like Singapore or MM (which are the programs I use with my kids). Any ideas?

Any tips on how to evaluate her math placement would be appreciated, too. I printed out the 4th grade MM end-of-year test for her and she told me she didn't recognize anything on it. I need to approach this from a different angle.

Edited by bonniebeth4

A standard textbook like a BJU4 will start at the beginning, assuming nothing. I'd just pick a textbook like that (BJU5 would work) and take it slowly as needed, using lots of manipulatives. There's no need to backtrack to simpler problems. The skills are all the same, and it's usually the length of the problems that changes each year. For the manips, RS is *amazing*. Their base 10 picture cards, place value cards, and abacus (side 2) will get her digit 4 digit subtraction in no time flat. Addition is of course easier. And their games kit is great for the games. But I'd just take a standard 5th gr text and start plowing forward at her pace.

What you can also do is mix topics. In the BJU5 (which I keep mentioning because I've used it and like it) each chapter is a discreet topic. However they tend to alternate hard and easy chapters. So you could do a lesson from the addition chapter and a lesson from measurement (always a fav with dd) or geometry or time, kwim? And while you're doing that, start to introduce some concepts that lie ahead (skip counting, fractions) just with manipulatives and exploring concepts, not doing the written work. That way when she gets to those chapters she'll recognize things.

Any reason why this dc is at this point? LD's? Vision problems? Has she been tested for issues? I'd just start throwing that out, because there's only so much teaching can do. At some point problems are inherent to the student and have to be dealt with. The other thing is to notice her learning style and get to using that for the facts really quickly. If she's auditory, that's easy (chant). But if she's visual, I would have her fill out fact tables and let her USE them. Let her use the manipulatives for her math too. Rather than hindering her, it will help cement them if she happens to be a visual learner. So don't be afraid of giving her jumps like that.

When I was hs my step daughter who was behind we used BJU5. It was very slow going and I added in some of the Topic workbooks from MM but it did help her to get more up to speed. I'm not sure at what level your kiddo is but dont rush it. With dsd11 we only made it through 1/2 of the BJU5 book in one year but what she learned she really learned, if that makes sense.

Lials Basic College Math? It is a remedial math program covering all elementary level math.

Is there a place where you can get Lials BCM inexpensively? I was looking at it on Amazon, and was surprised at the price. I suppose I shouldn't be, though--college textbooks are always expensive.

A couple of helps.

xtramath.org (free) to help solidify math facts

Key to Math along with Key to Math online

Thank you. Do you know if either of the websites track student progress and assign problems accordingly? I haven't spent much time looking at them yet, but it occurred to me that it would be really nice if they did.

A standard textbook like a BJU4 will start at the beginning, assuming nothing. I'd just pick a textbook like that (BJU5 would work) and take it slowly as needed, using lots of manipulatives. There's no need to backtrack to simpler problems. The skills are all the same, and it's usually the length of the problems that changes each year. For the manips, RS is *amazing*. Their base 10 picture cards, place value cards, and abacus (side 2) will get her digit 4 digit subtraction in no time flat. Addition is of course easier. And their games kit is great for the games. But I'd just take a standard 5th gr text and start plowing forward at her pace.

What you can also do is mix topics. In the BJU5 (which I keep mentioning because I've used it and like it) each chapter is a discreet topic. However they tend to alternate hard and easy chapters. So you could do a lesson from the addition chapter and a lesson from measurement (always a fav with dd) or geometry or time, kwim? And while you're doing that, start to introduce some concepts that lie ahead (skip counting, fractions) just with manipulatives and exploring concepts, not doing the written work. That way when she gets to those chapters she'll recognize things.

Any reason why this dc is at this point? LD's? Vision problems? Has she been tested for issues? I'd just start throwing that out, because there's only so much teaching can do. At some point problems are inherent to the student and have to be dealt with. The other thing is to notice her learning style and get to using that for the facts really quickly. If she's auditory, that's easy (chant). But if she's visual, I would have her fill out fact tables and let her USE them. Let her use the manipulatives for her math too. Rather than hindering her, it will help cement them if she happens to be a visual learner. So don't be afraid of giving her jumps like that.

I'll look into BJU5. That would have an advantage of not making her feel like she's way to far behind. She does have some sort of workbook that her teacher sent home for the summer. I'm not sure I trust it, though. If the schools materials were working fee her she wouldn't be so far behind. IDK, maybe she just needs some one-on-one time with someone who can take the time to teach her, and it won't matter what materials we use.

I have the RS games, and I think we'll have to spend some time playing those. Yesterday, as she was adding a column of single digit numbers (and using her fingers to do it), I kept thinking how she needed to visualize numbers the way RS teaches.

Eta: I don't think she's been tested for ant LDs. I suspect that she's gotten behind just because she has a single mom who doesn't have the time (or the knowledge) to help her with her homework. After we completed a couple of worksheets yesterday, she called her mom and said, "You know that problem you were trying to help me with? I did it wrong, but we worked through it and now I understand it!" She was so excited, it made my day.

Eta2: Oops, I was just talking to her mom and she has been diagnosed with ADHD. I haven't noticed it, but she is on medication. She is rather impulsive, but she's a kid, so I didn't think anything about it.

Edited by bonniebeth4

You might want to look at the special needs board too. I think, if possible, an evaluation for LDs would be great. My son started out with an ADHD - Inattentive diagnosis in 3rd grade. (Diagnosing for this varies lots. Some doctors send a kid to psychologist for a full work up as our did. Some pediatricians will do their own diagnosis in 10 minutes and miss stuff.)

My son was re-evaluated in 5th grade to formalize his new Aspergers diagnosis. That round of testing turned up a gifted IQ and multiple LDs. His worst LDs are in math. Our summer project is to start on Semple Math and add in MUS gamma.

But Semple would probably be overkill if she's "just" behind and doesn't have any LDs.

Finnella, have you received your Semple Math materials yet? I hadn't heard of that before. Looks sort of similar to RS. Is it trying to cover all the topics to meet state standards and be a full curriculum, or is it more focused on just the computation? It would be interesting to see how she extends the visualization (the term she doesn't use in the sample lessons but could have) into multiplication.

Finnella, have you received your Semple Math materials yet? I hadn't heard of that before. Looks sort of similar to RS. Is it trying to cover all the topics to meet state standards and be a full curriculum, or is it more focused on just the computation?

Semple has four sets of curriculum and recommends everyone start with set one (addition) and work through set four (division). The site says it can be used as a full curriculum for kindergarten or first grade. It can also be used as a supplement at any grade level, including for adults. That's how I'm going to be using it when family vacation is over this month.

The concept is to teach children new ways of remembering math facts, and it starts out with very basic flashcards to help with number recognition and tips to help kids who sometimes write their numbers backward. So it's going to be overkill for many children. But with my 12 yo DS still counting on his fingers to calculate 2 + 5, I'm going to give it a try.

It's mentioned some on the special needs section of the forum, but I couldn't find a lot of information. Therefore, I'll try to post more information after I've used it.

i

Is there a place where you can get Lials BCM inexpensively? I was looking at it on Amazon, and was surprised at the price. I suppose I shouldn't be, though--college textbooks are always expensive.[/

The used ones are very inexpensive. I got a good one for under $9.

Obviously this was answered already! I should have kept reading! :)

Edited by awstgs
more info.

Basic, basic, and basic . . . but highly effective for my dd plagued with strong math LDs: MCP math. ("Modern Curriculum Press') They have a K-6 program no longer published, I think, but readily available.

If your dd is struggling really hard, you could have her tested for any LD issues, verbal and/or math-related. It was one of the best investments we made.

Too bad you only have her for a summer!

I recommend (and have personally done, even at age 11) backing up -- way up, almost starting over, but not quite from the very beginning.

She would go through the material a lot faster, but with understanding.

But it sounds like you don't even have that much time with her.

Use a lot of manipulatives to illustrate the concepts before you start in with the paper and pencil.

If you can find a younger child at a lower level than she is and have her teach this other child, that could be a great help to her and hopefully cement that learning right in there.

(We are assuming she isn't being hindered by learning challenges...)

I love this article by Steve Demme: http://www.mathusee.com/2011/04/beware-of-being-behind-math-u-see-newsletter-vol-25/

Blessings,