Menu

Want to share my thrift store find and a ? (American Girl dolls)

Dh and I took the kids to one of the Goodwills in our area and we found a set of Bitty Baby Twins along with a ton of outfits for half what it costs for just the dolls. Yay!! We've been wanting to get dd (she'll be 3 in Aug.) an American Girl doll but it's far outside our budget. To get all the clothes was awesome. :001_smile: DD is in love with her new babies. The dolls are in excellent shape, just a small pen mark on one leg, I'm sure I can get it off. I felt a little sad cause someone obviously spent a LOT of money on these dolls and clothes (the clothes sets are complete with no stains or rips or anything) just to end up at Goodwill. With the cost of outfits and the dolls there was easily $500 + worth. If I could have bought all 5 bags of extra clothes along with the dolls it would've been $90 + tax. We bought just the dolls (which came with 5 outfits each) and one extra bag of clothes. We're going to check back next paycheck and see if the other bags of clothes are still there. :D

The question I have is simply is there anything I need to know about proper care for American Girl dolls? Anything special about caring for the hair? The hair on the dolls is in good shape, not matted but not smooth, what can I do to smooth it down and not ruin the hair?

GREAT FIND!!

American Girl Dolls are a favorite in our house. They have an excellent return/repair policy, so these should last your daughter forever.

As far as hair is concerned you have to use a "wig" brush on their hair. You don't necessarily have to buy the one from them, but you do need a wire bristled brush. Their hair needs to be wet when you brush it. We just use a little spray bottle. Also, make sure you don't get water in the doll eyes, it will discolor the eyes.

Hope your daughter enjoys her baby!

Yup -- wig brush, like the other poster said. Spritz their hair with water (make sure you don't get any in the eyes as they can rust!) and brush starting at the tips of the hair and work your way up to the roots. If the hair is dirty/unmanageable, you can wash with a mild shampoo or a wig shampoo.

You can clean the vinyl w/a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It WILL remove face paint though, so I would use a damp cloth and mild soap on the faces. If the pen mark won't come out w/the Magic Eraser, get some zit cream w/10% benzoyl peroxide (like Oxy10). Dab it on the area and put a small piece of plastic wrap over it so it doesn't smudge and get all over everything (like the cloth body -- it will bleach it). Leave on for about 24 hours, rinse, repeat. It may take several weeks. Adding heat to the zit cream (a warm blow-dryer or setting the doll out in the sun for a little bit) can help it work a bit faster. It works, but it can take a long time -- especially getting out the last little bit of it.

What a great bargain! Have fun!

Yup -- wig brush, like the other poster said. Spritz their hair with water (make sure you don't get any in the eyes as they can rust!) and brush starting at the tips of the hair and work your way up to the roots. If the hair is dirty/unmanageable, you can wash with a mild shampoo or a wig shampoo.

You can clean the vinyl w/a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It WILL remove face paint though, so I would use a damp cloth and mild soap on the faces. If the pen mark won't come out w/the Magic Eraser, get some zit cream w/10% benzoyl peroxide (like Oxy10). Dab it on the area and put a small piece of plastic wrap over it so it doesn't smudge and get all over everything (like the cloth body -- it will bleach it). Leave on for about 24 hours, rinse, repeat. It may take several weeks. Adding heat to the zit cream (a warm blow-dryer or setting the doll out in the sun for a little bit) can help it work a bit faster. It works, but it can take a long time -- especially getting out the last little bit of it.

What a great bargain! Have fun!

Wow, thanks so much for the detailed info!!! :001_smile:

Why can't I find deals like that??? That's awesome!!!

LOL! I believe the only reason I found it was because dh was with me, he has this amazing knack at finding incredible deals for pennies on the dollar. He's the only person I know who could turn a $1 lottery scratcher into a $50 guitar bought at a garage sale and then trade it in and get a $700 guitar. :tongue_smilie:

I *love love love* thrifting/junking/etc.

Great find!! Good for you.

Last week my 5yo Cuisinart coffee maker just DIED. At my favorite junking place I found the updated version of my exact coffeemaker for $9 AND found an almost-new Lilly P (I'm a *huge* Lilly Pulitzer fan) in MY SIZE for 9.98. The next morning I woke, tried the dress on, and refused to take it off, I was so tickled with my find! I wore it with my (thrifted) hot pink kitten heels and (thrifted) staw bag and received a bunch of compliments. But with each compliment I had to stifle the need to tell them my outfit was an entire thriftshop score! ;)

I'm really thinking about running back to that store and getting the other bags of clothes, dd is having such a blast with her new babies, lol!!!!

Please go back and get them!!!! :D I checked this thread hoping to find that you had them already. What a deal! It sounds like a great start to summer play.

I *love love love* thrifting/junking/etc.

Great find!! Good for you.

Last week my 5yo Cuisinart coffee maker just DIED. At my favorite junking place I found the updated version of my exact coffeemaker for $9 AND found an almost-new Lilly P (I'm a *huge* Lilly Pulitzer fan) in MY SIZE for 9.98. The next morning I woke, tried the dress on, and refused to take it off, I was so tickled with my find! I wore it with my (thrifted) hot pink kitten heels and (thrifted) staw bag and received a bunch of compliments. But with each compliment I had to stifle the need to tell them my outfit was an entire thriftshop score! ;)

Good for you! Lots of my clothes are from rummage sales or thrift stores, and I get SO DANG MANY compliments on them!

Please go back and get them!!!! :D I checked this thread hoping to find that you had them already. What a deal! It sounds like a great start to summer play.

I went back and they were gone already. :crying::banghead: I knew I should have gotten them last night but didn't realize until after we got home that I could have afforded to get all of them.

The most frustrating part is that there are about 10 outfits that aren't complete and are missing pieces and a whole bunch of shoes with no clothes. I'm certain the other pieces were in the other bags, the sorters at Goodwill probably just stuffed handfulls of outfits into bags no realizing they were mixing things up. Dh even said maybe post a listing on Craigslist explaining the situation and maybe find the other people who bought the clothes and get everything matched, lol! :tongue_smilie:

Oh well, dd could care less, she's mixing and matching everything anyway. Yep, dd is going to have a very fun summer. She is really getting into playing with dolls, they had to go to bed with her last night and I had to tuck them in with her. :lol:

I'll just be keeping my eyes open for more clothes. In the meantime, I found a few Build A Bear outfits mixed in and 2 pairs of American Girl pants and an American Girl shirt. If anyone wants them, pm me and they are yours for the cost of shipping. :001_smile: