Menu

s/o Yves Gender Poll...how would you spell 'Yeh-vuh'?

:)

This board is great! I just learned that I was pronouncing the name Yves wrong all these years.

Any suggestions on how to spell a name pronounced "Yeh-vuh"? Only one syllable. So it'd sound kind of like the first syllable of Seven or Kevin,.

Maybe Yev? Is that even a name?

Edited by jadedone80

When you say "Yeh-vuh" that looks/sounds like two syllables. So you mean, Yev, right? Rhymes with Kev, short for Kevin? I'm trying to understand what you're getting at. If that's what you're after, I'd just spell it Yev. But it sounds like a boy's name to me. If you're after a sort of finishing sound of "uh" (not really a syllable), Yeva would be an option, although I think that might be read "Yee-va." That definitely sounds more girly.

Edited by milovaný

Thanks. Actually, now I'm not sure if I like the way it sounds with one or two syllables better. Now I have to think on it some and consider which is the more ideal name.

Yeva does sound a lot more feminine, but I want a real name, not a made up name. I've know girl Yev's before, so I don't think it's a made up name. Gosh, I hope that makes sense and doesn't offend any one.

I think someone on the other thread posted that they know a lady named Yeva, so you're not making it up (I can't vouch for her though :D). You could say you're naming your daughter after that lady. :001_smile:

I've know girl Yev's before, so I don't think it's a made up name.

*To me* that sounds like a nickname for Yvonne.

For Yeh-va, maybe Yevva, Yevvah, or Yevah? (although I think the last one would tend to get pronounced with a long e)

I voted Yves as a boys name, because of Yves St. Laurent. I looked up the pronunciation and it is "eev". Now, if I heard "eev", I would think Eve and girl. I think of ye-vah as similar to Eva and a girl. Yev, as similar to the first syllable of Kevin sounds boyish. In the end, you are thinking of a non-traditional (at least non-traditional American) name. I think it's a nice name, but most people will have to ask.... as evidenced by the confusion on this board. That's ok. But, you need to be ok with that.

Thanks. Actually, now I'm not sure if I like the way it sounds with one or two syllables better. Now I have to think on it some and consider which is the more ideal name.

Yeva does sound a lot more feminine, but I want a real name, not a made up name. I've know girl Yev's before, so I don't think it's a made up name. Gosh, I hope that makes sense and doesn't offend any one.

Yeah, I was a bit confused by what you said about the syllables.

As you discovered, Yves is a boy name. I knew a French man named Yves (pronounced eve). But of course, if I just heard "Eve", I think of it as a girl name.

I thought of Yeva, which I always thought was the Russian form of Eva. I would say it more like "Yeh-vah", but I don't know how a Russian would say it. I'm not sure it's what you are looking for. Do you just like the "yev" sound or are you going for a certain meaning, too?

Here is a link about Yeva.