Menu

Remudamom, Ottakee and other horse people....help me!

My dd started horseback riding lessons Jan 2010. She's progressed from trotting or cantering.

I have always liked horses/loved horses since I was a girl her age. I remember my parents used to take us horseback riding on trails every now and then. We didn't own horses, but I wish I would've grown up with them.

So now, I've been riding about 1 year....started last Sept.

We both love horseback riding and can't get enough of it.

However, last week and today I've grown shy and a little nervous being around a horse. I have an unfounded fear of not having my feet out of the stirrups if I fall. I have to use a step stool to mount and to dismount. It's just so hard to lift the leg up and hoist up to mount and I'm a little anxious of leaning forward and sliding to get down. My belly always gets bruised.

Do you have any ideas to help me? I'll gladly answer more questions.

Thanks to all!

You can get some peacock stirrups. They have rubber band like things on them so that if you fall off your foot will come right out of them. It is my opinion that mounting a horse from the ground is not a good idea...again, it is my opinion....so a mounting block will help you with your mounting and will be better on the horse's back. As for dismounting, there really is no other right way to do it besides sliding on your stomach. I do understand how you feel about not feeling as comfortable in the saddle anymore. I don't ride with my girls anymore for fear of falling and hurting myself so I just watch and try to give pointers from the sidelines!

Forgot to mention that I'm still trotting....have not graduated. We have a WONDERFUL 50+ year old teacher and she has been riding/around horses for most of her life. She doesn't feel I'm ready and I'm OK with that. I've been anxious to move up to cantering, but with my behavior last week and today, I'm wondering what's going on.:confused:

As you build upper arm and core strength you should be able to brace your forearms against the side of the saddle and push yourself away as you slide down. It takes time to build up that strength though. ;) I second the safety stirrups and you may want to ask your instructor about emergency dismount lessons. I don't usually have my adult students do this (unless I have reason to believe it is needful) but with the young people we will practice emergency dismounts starting at a halt and progressing to the canter.

Yes, all of that. I will mount from the ground, but we do a lot of work with the horses to make them as safe as possible to mount. We really work on standing still and not moving as soon as they feel a butt hit the saddle.

I never dismount without removing my foot from the stirrup. Used to when I was young and tough, but no more.

All (intelligent) riders go through fear stages, especially as they age!

Yes, all of that. I will mount from the ground, but we do a lot of work with the horses to make them as safe as possible to mount. We really work on standing still and not moving as soon as they feel a butt hit the saddle.

I never dismount without removing my foot from the stirrup. Used to when I was young and tough, but no more.

Why do I "feel" more control with wanting to keep my left foot in the stirrup as I'm bringing my right leg over to dismount? My dd told me today this is how Australians dismount...true?

As you build upper arm and core strength you should be able to brace your forearms against the side of the saddle and push yourself away as you slide down. It takes time to build up that strength though. ;) I second the safety stirrups and you may want to ask your instructor about emergency dismount lessons. I don't usually have my adult students do this (unless I have reason to believe it is needful) but with the young people we will practice emergency dismounts starting at a halt and progressing to the canter.

I agree with building my "core" and upper arm and of course leg muscles....post and squeeze and...

This is it....I get the mechanics, I think, but it seems like such a long drop. Can you teach me more. Is there always a jolt? That sounds so ridiculous to ask b/c you're coming from a horse's back, but my dd does it with flair. Why can't I?

Oh yes, the emergency dismount lesson. Here is what I spoke to my dd just a couple of hours ago. I don't understand how, within 1-2 seconds, you have time to "realize" you're falling and all the while be of mind :lol: to remove your feet, slide your leg over as you are bending forward on the horse, to dismount......HOW?!?!??!

:iagree: all our saddles have these and they are literally a life-saver. I call them 'breakaway' stirrups.

Thanks Barry....appreciate it!

You can get some peacock stirrups. They have rubber band like things on them so that if you fall off your foot will come right out of them. It is my opinion that mounting a horse from the ground is not a good idea...again, it is my opinion....so a mounting block will help you with your mounting and will be better on the horse's back. As for dismounting, there really is no other right way to do it besides sliding on your stomach. I do understand how you feel about not feeling as comfortable in the saddle anymore. I don't ride with my girls anymore for fear of falling and hurting myself so I just watch and try to give pointers from the sidelines!

You have the same concerns then? I just thought I'd become more comfortable....in time. Do you think you will ride again?

Just wanted to chime in. I always take both feet out of the stirrups and slide down or if the horse is small, sort of jump down the last foot (I had a small Paso :001_smile:). My horse is now retired due to health issues and I am retired with him. Some days, I would love to canter down the road again but I realize I had a wonderful 25+ years in the saddle and now I walk. All this to say, we become more aware of potential danger and we possibly become more afraid at the same time. This is nothing out of the ordinary!

Liz CA,

Will it be a stumbling block for me then? Here I am over 50 and REALLY enjoying this....me riding a horse AND sharing horseback riding time/lessons together with my dd. Will my apprehension set me up for problems?

You might look at these. I have never used them, but someday I might ;). http://www.ezupstirrup.com/index.html

As to fear: deep breathe, redirect your thoughts, don't give this power over you. There is a reason I throw my kids right back on after a fall. I don't talk or ask, I just put them back on. (these are my bio kids) I don't want them to over think things.

Liz CA,

Will it be a stumbling block for me then? Here I am over 50 and REALLY enjoying this....me riding a horse AND sharing horseback riding time/lessons together with my dd. Will my apprehension set me up for problems?

No, I think knowing what the potential dangers are makes you more aware and more safety conscious. When I was young, it never occurred to me that something bad could happen. I am certainly more aware of it now. There is a fine line between paralyzing fear and cautiousness.

It's wonderful you are enjoying it so much. One of the people I admire is Sally Swift (author of "Centered Riding). She rode into her nineties!

Why do I "feel" more control with wanting to keep my left foot in the stirrup as I'm bringing my right leg over to dismount? My dd told me today this is how Australians dismount...true?

I'm Australian, and never seen anyone dismount that way - but I haven't seen them all, I guess!! My girls certainly don't.

I don't know if it is only on english saddles, but the stirrup leather should break away from the saddle if yanked really hard by a fall. The clip that the leather goes through on the saddle opens. At least that is how my dd's and her friends saddles are made.

Look, the deal is that horses are dangerous. There is no such thing as a bomb proof horse. I've probably owned 50 horses, ridden all my life, trained, started, taught. Western, english and australian style. Arabians, Quarter horses, Appies, Shetlands, Welsh, H/J. Trailed, jumped, rodeoed, cattle, driving. I've been blessed to have only spent two weeks in the hospital and a couple of ER trips that were horse related. Ribs seem to break easily.

You can have a horse that will not deliberately hurt you, but you can't say that you've got one that will never spook or shy if something startles it. They can move out from under you when you're mounting or dismounting, panic if they feel mud sucking at their hooves or explode when a turkey surprises them in deep grass. How about a pain issue the horse might develop and lets you know by bucking. What about a little burr in the saddle pad you don't notice?

I think every rider goes through periods of fear. Look at the things. They are huge. They are powerful. They are fast. I'm just now getting my confidence back after a couple of falls from spooks and one downright b!tch3y mare that would chunk me when she decided she was finished. I can not stay in the saddle like I could when I was younger. (I'm 53 now) I'm terrified that one will fall on me (again) and this time my foot will not come out of the stirrup. I'll barely slip my booted toe in the dang things.

You have to decide. I have a friend a little younger than I that had a horrible accident when her young Arab tossed her straight over his head. Broken back, can you imagine? She still has the horse, still rides and had to spend a year re-learning how to get control of him. She tells her husband and children if anything happens to her they are to remember it was always her choice to keep riding. She's got cojones. But she also has what we both believe is a God given passion for horses.

Get some special stirrups. Use a mounting block. Check your equipment. Watch your horse. Pray. And then relax and have fun. Today I might just be an idiot and get on that four yr old we're just starting. Can't seem to resist.

ETA- your apprehensions could possibly get you into trouble. Horses sense what you are feeling, and if you aren't confident they won't be either. Horses want leaders who can keep them safe. True, there are many lesson horses made for folks who aren't confident in their riding, but you need to relax.

Edited by Remudamom

I don't know if it is only on english saddles, but the stirrup leather should break away from the saddle if yanked really hard by a fall. The clip that the leather goes through on the saddle opens. At least that is how my dd's and her friends saddles are made.

I always left that clip down, just in case. Every instructor I ever had advised it. I never had a problem with the leather coming off accidentally, even when jumping, and I did a lot of jumping. Even when I fell, that leather stayed on.

Look, the deal is that horses are dangerous. There is no such thing as a bomb proof horse. I've probably owned 50 horses, ridden all my life, trained, started, taught. Western, english and australian style. Arabians, Quarter horses, Appies, Shetlands, Welsh, H/J. Trailed, jumped, rodeoed, cattle, driving. I've been blessed to have only spent two weeks in the hospital and a couple of ER trips that were horse related. Ribs seem to break easily.

You can have a horse that will not deliberately hurt you, but you can't say that you've got one that will never spook or shy if something startles it. They can move out from under you when you're mounting or dismounting, panic if they feel mud sucking at their hooves or explode when a turkey surprises them in deep grass. How about a pain issue the horse might develop and lets you know by bucking. What about a little burr in the saddle pad you don't notice?

I think every rider goes through periods of fear. Look at the things. They are huge. They are powerful. They are fast. I'm just now getting my confidence back after a couple of falls from spooks and one downright b!tch3y mare that would chunk me when she decided she was finished. I can not stay in the saddle like I could when I was younger. (I'm 53 now) I'm terrified that one will fall on me (again) and this time my foot will not come out of the stirrup. I'll barely slip my booted toe in the dang things.

You have to decide. I have a friend a little younger than I that had a horrible accident when her young Arab tossed her straight over his head. Broken back, can you imagine? She still has the horse, still rides and had to spend a year re-learning how to get control of him. She tells her husband and children if anything happens to her they are to remember it was always her choice to keep riding. She's got cojones. But she also has what we both believe is a God given passion for horses.

Get some special stirrups. Use a mounting block. Check your equipment. Watch your horse. Pray. And then relax and have fun. Today I might just be an idiot and get on that four yr old we're just starting. Can't seem to resist.

ETA- your apprehensions could possibly get you into trouble. Horses sense what you are feeling, and if you aren't confident they won't be either. Horses want leaders who can keep them safe. True, there are many lesson horses made for folks who aren't confident in their riding, but you need to relax.

Thanks to everyone. There are common threads in your replies. R, this is for you. I agree that horses can "sense" anxiety in their rider. I guess what I'm saying is this.....I don't want every second I'm on the horse to be stressful. However, I don't plan to be cocky and think I've mastered riding either. I'm a beginner who's always liked horses. I don't want to be so careful and throw caution to the wind, that in that wind I'm thrown into it.....:lol: On the other hand, I need to have confidence too.

What I'm getting at is "if" I were to fall, how can I best protect myself from the impact. I can't imagine falling even while the horse is standing let alone in trot or canter. BUT, HOW can you mind dictate to your body "what" and "how" to fall/land safely in 1-2 seconds at the most? Otherwise, you're already on the ground. The mechanics of falling. When one falls, is it falling on the "side" of your body/arm, hip, leg, etc? Or your "behind"? What normally happens? Broken bones?

My dd was in a lesson one rainy day so the teacher kept them in the barn. She was riding bareback with a blanket and she actually did fall. She was not injured and I'M HAPPY AS CAN BE, but I don't understand "why" she wasn't hurt falling off a horse.

Yesterday I was mounting from a block and I had a hard time at it. So much so that I couldn't hoist my leg over, the saddle moved and I "half" fell onto the block. BUT, I was NOT up on the horse.....one leg was on platform of block and the other in air.

Please give me more insight on this so I can stop obsessing on it. :tongue_smilie:

If you ride you're going to fall. I hit the ground so fast I can't do anything about it. Fortunately it's been a while. Wear a helmet. Deal or quit. That's all you can do.

Fine then, BUT, I'd like to know on what body part/s do you fall? Does one typically break a bone? You know, I would just feel better knowing what the norm is. I know not every fall will result in a broken bone. I know some will not fall. But, if you fall.....what is the body position.

I'll ask my instructor, but I wanted to hear from y'all here.

Thanks.