Menu

Can you please explain this to me?

Ok, I have the book Raising Up Boys by Dobson, I have not read it yet. That is next on my list, but can you please explain to me WHY boys beat the tar out of each other for fun?? :001_huh: My boys were wrestling in the front yard and it look REALLY rough and I was afraid they were going to hurt each other. So I told them to settle down from the front window and they both in unison said "Ahhh, why?" :blink: Why?? The real question is Why do you beat the tar out of each other for fun?

Please, help me understand. I know there are men on here. They used to be little boys. Dh just laughs at me and says "Why do we breath? Because we have to, same reason they beat the tar out of each other" :001_huh: :confused:

Great question.

I spent my day at the pool today with my little ones.

When we arrived, there were a group of boys ages 5-11(?) shooting water guns at each other, hitting each other with noodles, and being just overall obnoxious (in my mind.)

My 5 and 6 y.o.'s studied them for about 15 minutes, and I mean they studied those boys, then grabbed their water guns and went charging into the thick of it.

We did not know any of them (we do now :D.)

My girls, meanwhile, played on the other side of the pool :lol:.

I have 3 of them and it's getting more out of hand now that daddy is deployed and not here to have "wrestle time with daddy" when he gets home from work everyday. I just started reading "Wild Things-The Art of Nurturing Boys" and it brings a lot of these issues to light. I have to keep reminding myself that it's normal, but I'm one of 3 girls and have never experienced anything like this in my life! DH is one of 4 boys, so he doesn't understand why I'm constantly telling them to settle down. I can't tell you how many times a day I say "Get away from each other! Why do you always have to be touching?!?!"

I read somewhere that "guy wrestling" is the way boys show affection for each other whilst still appearing "manly" :lol: It's a legitmate way of "touching" other males in a society that says "men don't touch each other in affectionate ways without being called girly or gay".

My 2 boys have just started the wrestling thing. My 3yo is very gentle so the wrestling usually consists of 22 month old sitting on top of him whilst he just lays in a ball getting stomped on :confused: Normally I try to deter the baby from beating up his (older) brother but when I pull him off - 3yo sits up and says "Oh mum, we were having fun". :001_huh:

My DD is not above a spot of wrestling - especially if Dad is joining in.

I call it "male bonding time" :D

So my husband tells me this is why tackle football is good. Boys have aggression and they can use it in a good/controlled way when they play football. He tells me it's in the nature to be this way.

Dh and ds used to wrestle, it was bonding. Ds and I punch around at each other, in fun(!chill!). We have great light saber fights. Yesterday we were using two bamboo rods as "stout cudgels" (thank you, Robin Hood). Ds just grins when we play like that. Of course, I get hugs afterward too.

I do also think there is a boundary set when wrestling is done properly. My boys would wrestle until I would hear OW! from one of them. I think it helped ds see when the play ceased and it became too aggressive.