Menu

Were you happy with the FPEA convention?

Well, I wasn't. It felt that almost half of the workshops were not academics related. Worldview, political view, parenting advice, couponing advice, inspirational talks, ... The majority of the workshops related to actual teaching were vendor workshops to explain - or should I say advertise - their curriculum. Very few, vendor or non-vendor, gave teaching tips not related to their own product. The Great Homeschool Convention in Greenville, SC in March was so much better. The schedule for the NC convention this past weekend looked so much better. Just not ours.

I understand the need for workshops that explain a curriculum in depth. I certainly take advantage of some of those at conventions. I also understand that some inspirational talks, thought provoking lectures about worldview, creation/evolution, etc. are part of thinking through how and what we want to teach to our children. However, the main focus should be on homeschooling at a so called homeschool convention.

I also did not like that there were so few time slots for workshops, but so many workshops all at the same time. And the vendor hall - is it me or is it slowly being taken over by local fun parks?

FPEA is not just an organization organizing homeschool conventions. FPEA is us, the members. Thus my thinking is that the ones planning the conventions should know that there is at least one member (actually I talked to others who shared my opinion) who is absolutely not happy with the direction FPEA conventions are going. I don't want to remain silent any longer. This is our convention. So I send them an email stating my points in a friendly way, but I'm thinking it would help if others who are dissatisfied do the same.

My suggestion - if you were unhappy, let them know - in a friendly way of course, but let them know. Maybe we can change a thing or two.

I was there this weekend (just got home actually). Overall, I was happy with it. But then again, I do not usually attend classes/workshops. The only thing I really didn't like was that the Gravitas Publications vendor (the ones who have REAL Science 4 Kids) said they were doing a class that afternoon. I was very excited to find out about that since I'm really interested in the books. But when I read up on it, I found out that it was just someone talking about homeschooling and not the curriculum. So I didn't attend. I wanted to learn more about how to use the actual curriculum.

As for the theme parks, they are the same ones that's been there for the past 3 years I've attended. I figure that it's Orlando, theme park capital, so they are going to have a few there.

I miss Tobin's Lab....they went out of business. I used to buy a lot of stuff there.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that they moved it from the Rosen Shingle over to the Gaylord. LOVE it. Love how everything was so centrally located. At the Rosen Shingle, I feel like all I did was walk, walk, walk to get to anything. Also I love how the Gaylord upgraded us to a room with an atrium view. It was relaxing to sit on our balcony and overlook the gardens.

And I love how they included so many family activities this year....the pool party, the movies, the game nights, the scavenger hunts...my kids didn't want to leave to come home this morning.

I'm not really a person who likes to sit through classes, so I can't comment much on that.

The food leaves MUCH to be desired though. We got a get-n-go meal one evening and it was icky. No flavor.

I did not attend this year, but I have been several times. They usually have surveys at the FPEA booth where you can offer feedback. A couple of years ago I checked a box that I would like to have more workshops about unschooling. I think they had a couple of unschooling workshops this year, so maybe they do listen. ( I am not an unschooler, I just think it is interesting to hear about lots of different methods)

Normally I don't go to a lot of workshops because I always want to wander the vendor hall.

I enjoy some of the worldview and faith based talks, but I have thought that I want to hear more about actual homeschooling.

I was disappointed also. I went to the leader's forum on Thursday and was more disappointed with it than anything. There were almost no sessions that related to leadership or leading a homeschool group. The workshops there were all either about patriotism or parenting, both topics that were better suited for slots on Friday and Saturday. I did fill out the survey to let them know what I thought.

When I got the convention catalog, I initially did not see many workshops that looked interesting. I did go to a few and some were very good. There was one in particular that I enjoyed on how the brain learns best, but it was not in the catalog. I found out later that the person who gave the talk had given another talk the day before and I missed it.

I did go to the Gravitas workshop and it was about the curriculum. There was a speaker change at the last minute. It wasn't terribly interesting, but I'm glad I went because I found out about some new products that they have to go along with the books.

There have been a lot of changes in the FPEA this past year and the board of directors put on the convention because they no longer have an executive director. Some directors and staff stepped down this past year, so that was a difficulty as well.

The best part of the convention was the hotel. The Gaylord is much more family friendly than the other hotel. The hotel made changes and accommodations with homeschool families in mind.

Well, I wasn't. It felt that almost half of the workshops were not academics related. Worldview, political view, parenting advice, couponing advice, inspirational talks, ... The majority of the workshops related to actual teaching were vendor workshops to explain - or should I say advertise - their curriculum. Very few, vendor or non-vendor, gave teaching tips not related to their own product. The Great Homeschool Convention in Greenville, SC in March was so much better. The schedule for the NC convention this past weekend looked so much better. Just not ours.

I understand the need for workshops that explain a curriculum in depth. I certainly take advantage of some of those at conventions. I also understand that some inspirational talks, thought provoking lectures about worldview, creation/evolution, etc. are part of thinking through how and what we want to teach to our children. However, the main focus should be on homeschooling at a so called homeschool convention.

I also did not like that there were so few time slots for workshops, but so many workshops all at the same time. And the vendor hall - is it me or is it slowly being taken over by local fun parks?

FPEA is not just an organization organizing homeschool conventions. FPEA is us, the members. Thus my thinking is that the ones planning the conventions should know that there is at least one member (actually I talked to others who shared my opinion) who is absolutely not happy with the direction FPEA conventions are going. I don't want to remain silent any longer. This is our convention. So I send them an email stating my points in a friendly way, but I'm thinking it would help if others who are dissatisfied do the same.

My suggestion - if you were unhappy, let them know - in a friendly way of course, but let them know. Maybe we can change a thing or two.

:iagree:

Well, I wasn't. It felt that almost half of the workshops were not academics related. Worldview, political view, parenting advice, couponing advice, inspirational talks, ... The majority of the workshops related to actual teaching were vendor workshops to explain - or should I say advertise - their curriculum. Very few, vendor or non-vendor, gave teaching tips not related to their own product.

This is why I don't attend. Good luck getting them to change. They made a conscious decision to hold the type of convention you described in the quote.

I'm sorry to hear this. It used to be one of the few state conventions that was still academic in nature (while still having the other topics as well.) I remember a few years ago before we moved from Florida, a kerfuffle over the directors changing the mission statement or bylaws to emphasize the Christian purpose of the organization. Many reps were put-off and even questioned the legality of the changes. When all that came up - I wondered what would happen to the (educational/academic) quality of the convention.