Menu

What to do in Denver next Sunday?

My husband and I will be visiting Denver next weekend by ourselves (no kids!!). Our free time is limited, so I need the help of the Hive!

Where should we eat lunch and dinner on Sunday? Is there anything particularly fun we should do after dinner on Sunday night? We've never been there before and know very little about the area. We'll be staying in Centennial, if that helps.

Thanks in advance, oh great Hive. :D

there is a restaurant called The Fort. It is in Morrison (in the foothills of Denver) and they serve food like in the old west.

http://www.thefort.com/

I've been there several times and the food is unique and the amosphere is great. the experience is uniquely Colorado. It would be a 40 minute drive from where you are staying, but worth it I think.

Lara

The People's Fair is next weekend, if you like live music and don't object to loads of people?

Racine's or Argyll's for lunch, neither are very far, or Highland's Garden Café if you feel like driving a little bit further (and spending more $$ on an amazing meal).

And I'm tapped for adult ideas! (sad, I know:tongue_smilie:)

Oh! And the Denver Art Museum has a collection of Renaissance pieces right now that are very nice! But they do close early on Sunday :(

And I have heard wonderful things about Billy Elliot, the Musical. June 5th is its last day here!

Edited by Ailaena

I personally love going to the Denver museum child free at times and they have a great pirate exhibit right now http://www.dmns.org/featured-exhibition.

And, the aquarium is great at night, almost eerie because it is so empty http://www.aquariumrestaurants.com/downtownaquariumdenver/default.asp

Love the art museum http://www.denverartmuseum.org/home

So many good places for food too, here is a list from the Denver mag http://www.5280.com/magazine/2010/03/dining-denver

I also heard great things about Billy Elliot and, there are other shows too http://www.denvercenter.org/home.aspx

I love the Cherry Cricket for lunch. It's in Cherry Creek and was featured on Man Vs. Food. You could go to Tattered Cover bookstore before you eat. It's a wonderful local book shop.

The museums are definitely fun without kids...the one time I've been able to go by myself! The neighborhood across the street is old and full of beautiful houses, so a stroll through would be nice afterwards.

Have fun!!

If you have some time to make a little drive, head up into the mountains to Kittridge and eat at Dick's HIckory Dock. The BEST bbq and baked potatoes the size of a man's shoe and if it's nice, there is outdoor seating by a heavy-flowing creek and with the mountains and mountain air and oh.....how I miss it.

Check them out at dickshickorydock.com

Edited by Debbie in OR
added link

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Since we'll be coming from the land of mosquitos and 95 degree heat, we're hoping to spend a little time outside Sunday afternoon...can anyone recommend a local park for a pleasant stroll near Centennial?

Off the top of my head...

Westlands park - 6060 South Quebec Street, Greenwood Village, CO

It has a nice, paved trail that circles a couple of lakes, some fields and the BEST playground ever (you can brag to your kids :P)

I don't know where in Centennial you are staying, but you could jump on the Highline Canal for a bit! It is a flat, dirt path and usually wanders through some neighborhoods.

Off the top of my head...

Westlands park - 6060 South Quebec Street, Greenwood Village, CO

It has a nice, paved trail that circles a couple of lakes, some fields and the BEST playground ever (you can brag to your kids :P)

I don't know where in Centennial you are staying, but you could jump on the Highline Canal for a bit! It is a flat, dirt path and usually wanders through some neighborhoods.

Neighborhood wandering is good, as we'll be scoping out the housing market next weekend.

Nicoleandco, your suggestion is right up my husband's alley: musty bookstores and gorgeous old houses!

Debbie in OR, I can't tell you how lovely that sounds (except the bbq part...I've had about all the bbq I could ever eat living in this town!!). Only trouble is, if my husband lets me up into the mountains I'm not sure he'll ever get me back down South again. :D

I don't know, Lara in CO...if I tell my girls we're moving to a place called "Castle" anything, I think their expectations might be a little too high! :lol:

Honestly, though, we're going to Denver because my husband is a finalist for a job and this is the final stage of the interview process. I'm looking forward to seeing what is reputedly a beautiful part of the country. We're not looking at specific houses at this point, but hoping to get an idea of which neighborhoods we'd want to live in for cost of living/salary negotiation purposes and because the turnaround time won't be much if he does accept the position. I think Castle Rock would be too far from his job site, though, which is actually in Foxfield, if that means anything to you. We want to be within 10 minutes' drive regardless of what time of day it is (in our current town rush hour STINKS).

10 minutes from Foxfield? In that case, I can pretty much recommend any neighborhood along Arapahoe Rd west of Parker,as well as the neighborhood just S/E of the intersection (if it's in your price range). I can't even think of any questionable areas (ymmv).