Menu

Apologia Zoology

My kids LOVE animals and I am considering supplementing our life science study next year with Apologia's Zoology series. However, as a general rule, I use strictly secular materials. How religious is this series? Is it a study of the animals themselves, or is it more about "God created the animals?"

It's pretty religious IMO. It's also very young earth, if that perspective matters to you. If you are a Christian who just prefers secular materials it might be worth checking it out. I think it would be difficult to use for a non-Christian family. Just my two cents after having used Apologia for anatomy and botany.

I think you could edit out the creation bits. Honestly, I sometimes do edit bits of it. The notebook, OTOH, has scripture copywork. I use it because it is a really good science curriculum and dd has learned so much. We are using Zoology Flying Creatures, it's the only one we used so far.

• 3 weeks later...
I think you could edit out the creation bits. Honestly, I sometimes do edit bits of it. The notebook, OTOH, has scripture copywork. I use it because it is a really good science curriculum and dd has learned so much. We are using Zoology Flying Creatures, it's the only one we used so far.

If you don't mind me asking, what grade is your dd in? I'm considering it now.

thanks!

We are using Flying Creatures this summer and my kids are loving it. They have been doing a lot of birdwatching and tracking what birds they see in our yard. We're not doing all the experiments, but still learning quite a bit. It does attribute lots of things to God, but it is definitely science. I don't think it would be easy to convert to a secular program though since there are so many references throughout the book that you would need to cut out.

Maybe you should take a look at WP's Animal Worlds. Even if you don't want to do the whole program, you might find some resources you like.

Lisa

Maybe you should take a look at WP's Animal Worlds. Even if you don't want to do the whole program, you might find some resources you like.

Lisa

:iagree: We loved this! It was our favorite year of homeschooling, I think. :) WP is much easier to secularize. I tried Apologia 3 different times and dropped it every year. Lesson learned.

Well, we are in the UK so our school years are different, but dd is 9 so I think that makes her finishing 3rd grade?

thanks for letting me know. I'm trying to make the decision on this book for my dd9. Did you read it to your dd, or did she read it herself?

thanks again!

It's pretty religious IMO. It's also very young earth, if that perspective matters to you. If you are a Christian who just prefers secular materials it might be worth checking it out. I think it would be difficult to use for a non-Christian family. Just my two cents after having used Apologia for anatomy and botany.

That sort of depends. :) I'm a Christian and much more strict about keeping creationist and many Christian materials out of our homeschooling then many atheist/agnostic homeschoolers I've known. I've got a horse in the race after all and don't want a specific view from one portion of the Christian community presented as a general Christian view.

We are using Flying Creatures this summer and my kids are loving it. They have been doing a lot of birdwatching and tracking what birds they see in our yard. We're not doing all the experiments, but still learning quite a bit. It does attribute lots of things to God, but it is definitely science. I don't think it would be easy to convert to a secular program though since there are so many references throughout the book that you would need to cut out.

Lisa

WP?