Menu

OLD THREAD, IGNORE

Thanks for all the support everyone, it REALLY helped me realize I'm not ruining his life. He was awful at the homeschool conference yesterday (slouching, grumbling, pouting, poor eye contact, etc) part of which was attitude and part was natural tendency in a big group due to Aspergers. But...he and dh found a computer science course that he really wants to do!!!! He was actually excited by something! He will be building a computer from scratch while learning about computer science. We need a new computer for the living room anyway, so it works out that he is building something we actually will need and use. He also picked out a book on knights and Eagle of the Ninth to read, so that is something. And because he was better today we stopped on the way home and picked up a 22 rifle that DH has been meaning to buy for ds to use. So they got that and went to the range. Once again I'm totally amazed by the transformation that comes over my son when he is around guns. He becomes polite and respectful and witty and fun. Amazing. I'm thinking some kind of gun safety course or history of weapons or something needs to be on the agenda for our school year.

Oh, and he was kind of interested in the Civil Air Patrol, so I'm going to research that too. And we are having the kids from the middle school group that I formed over for swimming on Thursday.

Thanks again everyone!

Thanks for all the support everyone, it REALLY helped me realize I'm not ruining his life. He was awful at the homeschool conference yesterday (slouching, grumbling, pouting, poor eye contact, etc) part of which was attitude and part was natural tendency in a big group due to Aspergers. But...he and dh found a computer science course that he really wants to do!!!! He was actually excited by something! He will be building a computer from scratch while learning about computer science. We need a new computer for the living room anyway, so it works out that he is building something we actually will need and use. He also picked out a book on knights and Eagle of the Ninth to read, so that is something. And because he was better today we stopped on the way home and picked up a 22 rifle that DH has been meaning to buy for ds to use. So they got that and went to the range. Once again I'm totally amazed by the transformation that comes over my son when he is around guns. He becomes polite and respectful and witty and fun. Amazing. I'm thinking some kind of gun safety course or history of weapons or something needs to be on the agenda for our school year.

Oh, and he was kind of interested in the Civil Air Patrol, so I'm going to research that too. And we are having the kids from the middle school group that I formed over for swimming on Thursday.

Thanks again everyone!

Check 4H in your area to see if they have an active gun program, which name escapes me at the moment. Shooting sports, that's it. I know some people involved in great groups. Unfortunately the group we belonged to one year was badly managed and was a not so positive experience. I would assume that varies by area, however.

• 1 year later...

He and dh found a computer science course that he really wants to do!!!! He was actually excited by something! He will be building a computer from scratch while learning about computer science. We need a new computer for the living room anyway, so it works out that he is building something we actually will need and use.

We have been talking about building a computer, but I was at a complete loss as to where to begin. Would you mind sharing the name of the course? How have you and your son like it? Any idea how much it ended up costing you (the computer)?

Thanks so much. I'm looking forward to hearing about this.