Menu

Fish oil supplement? Help ?

You want to make sure they are mercury free. I like Carlson, dh likes NOW Krill, dd likes Barlean's Flaxseed oil. Everyone is different, and the fish oil effects each of us a different way. You are supposed to take 400 IU of Vitamin E with the fish oil as well. I like Carlson's E-Gems Elite.

I get the Members Mark ones from Sam's Club. No fishy taste (I have GERD and would definitely notice!!) and they're cheap there too.
I didn't even think to look at Sam's.

I Take mine at bedtime. I've also heard that keeping capsules in the freezer than help avoid fishy burps, but I've never tried that one.
Interesting, I might try the freezer.

I've never heard of taking Vitamin E with the fish oil. What is the added vitamin E for?

You want to make sure they are mercury free. I like Carlson, dh likes NOW Krill, dd likes Barlean's Flaxseed oil. Everyone is different, and the fish oil effects each of us a different way. You are supposed to take 400 IU of Vitamin E with the fish oil as well. I like Carlson's E-Gems Elite.

Nordic Naturals never gave me those yucky burps, and theirs is also supposed to be mercury-free. I used the capsules, not the liquid.

I get my Nordic Naturals from Amazon. I do the ones with coQ10 and I have never burped fish. But that would be unpleasant in the extreme! :glare:

Be careful with the extra vitamin E if you have a condition or take another medication where thinning blood would be a bad thing. I had no idea I had a blood disorder and had been taking vitamin E and it caused a complication after one of my surgeries. When they realized my blood disorder, I was told no more vitamin E supplements.

:iagree:

I try to avoid pretty much all supplements, but particularly fish oil, from places like Costco, Sam's Club, etc. Carlson's is great.

We like Costco's and have never worried about quality. They (as well as others) also make "enteric coated" versions -- significantly pricier, but don't dissolve until lower in the gut, so no fishy burp. I get most other things from Puritan's Pride (fish oil and daily multi are cheaper at Costco).

My solution is to take cinnamon pills at the same time as regular fish oil pills (cinnamon is good for stabilizing blood sugar) -- if you burp you'd never taste the fish past the cinnamon. :lol: I'd take cinnamon for the fish oil taming alone!

If you take them with or right before a meal, that will cull most fishiness as well. At a minimum, always drink plenty of water with any pills.

I'll have to look for Carlson's. Do you agree with the need for Vitamin E with Fish Oil? I ususally try not to take supplements vs. eating a good diet, but this is something I pretty much have to do.

I try to avoid pretty much all supplements, but particularly fish oil, from places like Costco, Sam's Club, etc. Carlson's is great.

I Take mine at bedtime. I've also heard that keeping capsules in the freezer than help avoid fishy burps, but I've never tried that one.

This is what my doctor told me. It works! I keep my fish oil on the little shelf in my freezer door. I take them right before going to bed. Both are the key. Freeze them. Swallow them and lay down within at least 10 minutes. I notice that if I get busy after taking them and don't go to sleep within probably 10 minutes I will get a little burpy and it's not pleasant. If I swallow the frozen capsules and lay down fairly soon, I never ever have a problem. Try it!

I take flax seed oil instead. It tastes fine and I just drink it straight down.

We don't use anything else from Garden of Life, but we're very happy with the fish oil. It has astaxanthin which has been highly recommended lately. No fish taste or after-taste at all.

This site had some good info

http://www.healthfoodemporium.com/garden-of-life/oceans3.php

but Amazon had the best price.

This is the info that I have on fish oil.

Make sure to get a good, high-quality fish oil – such as Carlsons’s. You want to avoid fish oil that may come from polluted sources or that may be high in mercury. Other good brands are Nordic Naturals, Enzymatic Therapy, and Metagenics.

Fish Oil is good for your heart partially because it decreases blood clotting and reduces blood pressure. If you have high blood pressure, high triglycerides, or other signs of heart disease, 3-5 grams may be helpful. Talk with your doctor or pharmacist if you’re taking medications to make sure there are no negative interactions. Fish oils thin the blood just like aspirin, gingko biloba, and garlic. You don’t want to thin your blood so much that it causes bleeding.

For all others, 1 gram (1,000 mg) is fine.

Stop taking fish oil and any EPA supplements 2 weeks before surgery – as well as possibly avoiding a fish dinner the night before any surgery.

Do not take fish oils if you are on any blood thinner.

Do you agree with the need for Vitamin E with Fish Oil? I ususally try not to take supplements vs. eating a good diet, but this is something I pretty much have to do.

Tammy, personally, I like to take both ... when I remember and am good, that is ;). Vitamin E has many benefits - I'm not going to list them all here - but if anyone is interested, I can. It's hard to get it all from one's diet. Not impossible, just hard. Vitamins are easier to get from diet. It's minerals that most of us are lacking in and need to be watchful for - things like magnesium especially. Most of us are magnesium deficient.

If any multi or Vitamin E supplement has dl-alpha, rather than d-alpha, I stay away from it. D-alpha is the good and natural kind. Dl-alpha is synthetic and not processed by the body.

We like Costco's and have never worried about quality. They (as well as others) also make "enteric coated" versions -- significantly pricier, but don't dissolve until lower in the gut, so no fishy burp. I get most other things from Puritan's Pride (fish oil and daily multi are cheaper at Costco).

I do want to clarify ... Although I now avoid most brands at Walmart, Costco, etc. This doesn’t always apply. Some brands at these larger stores are fine. I choose to do my own research. Their magnesium, for example, is rubbish, as are some others that my parents got. Yet just because the supplement is sold at Walmart or Costco does not that it’s necessarily bad. I like to look to look at the ingredients. When it comes to supplements, I prefer short ingredient lists, as well as some other things that I have learned to watch out for.

Anita, I was about to start taking this, until, when I went for a br@st thermogram, they told me that flax raises bre@st estrogen levels. Just thought I'd let you or anyone else know. They showed me all this research on it ...

I get my Nordic Naturals from Amazon. I do the ones with coQ10 and I have never burped fish. But that would be unpleasant in the extreme! :glare:
Thank you. Our GNCs have them, but I'm not crazy about their stores.

Be careful with the extra vitamin E if you have a condition or take another medication where thinning blood would be a bad thing. I had no idea I had a blood disorder and had been taking vitamin E and it caused a complication after one of my surgeries. When they realized my blood disorder, I was told no more vitamin E supplements.
Thank you.

My solution is to take cinnamon pills at the same time as regular fish oil pills (cinnamon is good for stabilizing blood sugar) -- if you burp you'd never taste the fish past the cinnamon. :lol: I'd take cinnamon for the fish oil taming alone!

If you take them with or right before a meal, that will cull most fishiness as well. At a minimum, always drink plenty of water with any pills.

Thank you, sadly we don't have a Costco anywhere near us. (I miss them!)

This is what my doctor told me. It works! I keep my fish oil on the little shelf in my freezer door. I take them right before going to bed. Both are the key. Freeze them. Swallow them and lay down within at least 10 minutes. I notice that if I get busy after taking them and don't go to sleep within probably 10 minutes I will get a little burpy and it's not pleasant. If I swallow the frozen capsules and lay down fairly soon, I never ever have a problem. Try it!

I think I'll try freezing them, but just before bedtime is when I can have acid reflux if I've eaten anything.

Looking at the Members Mark label, it specifically says NO MERCURY, NO LEAD. I did a google search and didn't find anything to the contrary.
I'm going to look at and compare their bottle to the Nordic Naturals. Thanks again.

Thank you.

We don't use anything else from Garden of Life, but we're very happy with the fish oil. It has astaxanthin which has been highly recommended lately. No fish taste or after-taste at all.

This site had some good info

http://www.healthfoodemporium.com/garden-of-life/oceans3.php

but Amazon had the best price.

I don't think I've heard of their brand, but check em out...Thanks.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2003/08/20/fish-oil-part-fifteen.aspx

I hope the article link above works....

Fish oil is perishable, and can become rancid in your body. Vitamin E prevents this.

Thank you...I didn't even think to check there.

This is the info that I have on fish oil.

Make sure to get a good, high-quality fish oil – such as Carlsons’s. You want to avoid fish oil that may come from polluted sources or that may be high in mercury. Other good brands are Nordic Naturals, Enzymatic Therapy, and Metagenics.

Fish Oil is good for your heart partially because it decreases blood clotting and reduces blood pressure. If you have high blood pressure, high triglycerides, or other signs of heart disease, 3-5 grams may be helpful. Talk with your doctor or pharmacist if you’re taking medications to make sure there are no negative interactions. Fish oils thin the blood just like aspirin, gingko biloba, and garlic. You don’t want to thin your blood so much that it causes bleeding.

For all others, 1 gram (1,000 mg) is fine.

Stop taking fish oil and any EPA supplements 2 weeks before surgery – as well as possibly avoiding a fish dinner the night before any surgery.

Do not take fish oils if you are on any blood thinner.

Tammy, personally, I like to take both ... when I remember and am good, that is ;). Vitamin E has many benefits - I'm not going to list them all here - but if anyone is interested, I can. It's hard to get it all from one's diet. Not impossible, just hard. Vitamins are easier to get from diet. It's minerals that most of us are lacking in and need to be watchful for - things like magnesium especially. Most of us are magnesium deficient.

If any multi or Vitamin E supplement has dl-alpha, rather than d-alpha, I stay away from it. D-alpha is the good and natural kind. Dl-alpha is synthetic and not processed by the body.

I do want to clarify ... Although I now avoid most brands at Walmart, Costco, etc. This doesn’t always apply. Some brands at these larger stores are fine. I choose to do my own research. Their magnesium, for example, is rubbish, as are some others that my parents got. Yet just because the supplement is sold at Walmart or Costco does not that it’s necessarily bad. I like to look to look at the ingredients. When it comes to supplements, I prefer short ingredient lists, as well as some other things that I have learned to watch out for.

Anita, I was about to start taking this, until, when I went for a br@st thermogram, they told me that flax raises bre@st estrogen levels. Just thought I'd let you or anyone else know. They showed me all this research on it ...

Wow, I think I'm going to print your post....thank you.I'm going to try to begin taking the Nordic Naturals this week, but man am I a chicken.:blink:

I'm going to try to begin taking the Nordic Naturals this week, but man am I a chicken.:blink:

I myself have never had problems with reflux and Carlson's. Never tried Nordic Naturals. My dh who has reflux at night, never has fishy burps or problems with Carlson's. He takes Carlson's at breakfast and at dinner - right BEFORE eating. You could take it only at breakfast, or at breakfast and lunch, etc. I guess you need to keep trying different things until you see what works.

ChandlerMom's suggestions are very good ones. I've never tried freezing fish oil, but then again, we've never had problems. I have heard, that lower-quality fish oils are more likely to cause fish burps. I do believe that with supplements, you generally get what you pay for ... generally. ;)

ETA: We get ours from vitacost or amazon - much cheaper than health food stores.

I myself have never had problems with reflux and Carlson's. Never tried Nordic Naturals. My dh who has reflux at night, never has fishy burps or problems with Carlson's. He takes Carlson's at breakfast and at dinner - right BEFORE eating. You could take it only at breakfast, or at breakfast and lunch, etc. I guess you need to keep trying different things until you see what works.

ChandlerMom's suggestions are very good ones. I've never tried freezing fish oil, but then again, we've never had problems. I have heard, that lower-quality fish oils are more likely to cause fish burps. I do believe that with supplements, you generally get what you pay for ... generally. ;)

ETA: We get ours from vitacost or amazon - much cheaper than health food stores.

Thank you...again;); I really appreciate your help.

Carlson's lemon-flavored fish oil is great. We take it straight off the teaspoon - no juice.
Thank you.

Small update...I did take/try the Nordic Naturals yesterday, with a meal and while I didn't have fishy berps; I did get a little lemony after taste. I think they are fine, but I'm going to keep looking before committing to them.

Edited by Tammyla