Menu

Logic Stage History TWTM Way

HSMom2One

I didn't think I'd ever be saying this, but we may not be using TOG for 8th grade. I love TOG and have considered it to be a wonderful way to educate, but I'm realizing more and more that it has been a great luxury for us. If I cut back on the cost of anything in our hs budget, it would have to be this. We are about to go through some big changes in our finances and all items in the budget have to be reduced. While I'm disappointed at the possibility of dropping TOG, I'm not troubled at all with the idea of following TWTM plan. In fact, I think that since we've done TOG for two years I'm much better prepared to do what I'm considering here.

At this point I have 7th grade all planned out and will be continuing with TOG YR-2, but the following year I will need to be ready to teach the next era. I would follow the exact time frame and suggestions as they are laid out in TWTM (1800's - Modern Era). I really like the idea of doing this according to the book, but am thinking that I would have to develop my own lesson plans and a schedule well in advance. I would use living books and classical literature to correspond with the history, etc. But as I ponder this idea I'm wondering what others have done. Below are my questions for anyone that has done Logic stage history planning, and 8th grade in particular:

• Did you follow another person's lesson plans and schedule or did you create your own?
  • Are there lesson plans out there somewhere? (i.e. Core Foundations style, but more closely lined up with TWTM.)
  • How did you choose your primary resources? What did you choose?
  • How did you narrow down and select which sections of each book and corresponding books when you developed your daily/weekly schedules and plans?
  • How long do you spend on little side roads of interest?

Thanks for any input you may have to offer. I've never done this myself, as I've always followed a plan that was already made.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I create my own lesson plans. Many people have lesson plans available online. I'm sure others will provide you with multiple links. I don't happen to have any saved. Primary resources? If by that you mean my "spines" for the year, then I tend to use encyclopedic works for that purpose, because they can be used each week as a jumping off point. I use multiples of these, which is overkill, but I have found them at sales very cheaply, in general, and like the variety. It's not necessary to use multiple sources, but you get more variety in the voice of the authors if you do and that makes for better discussions of differences in opinion....

I don't necessarily narrow down what we will read from a book each week until we start reading it. If it seems very well done, my son is enjoying it, it is sparking good discussion, and I think it's important, then I'll read all of it if I can (have time). Very often, however, I'm reading excerpts, or a chapter here and there, and using those to facilitate conversation about the subject.

I spend as long as I feel we can on areas of interest. I will often move on in our reading for the following week, but if we finish that will come back to more reading in our area of interest. I've been reading from a variety of early 19th century topics pertaining mostly to America for the past few weeks, for instance, as time allows.

This is what I did for fourth grade, using SOTW as my spine. Read alouds could easily be used as read alones, etc. to beef up the reading:

http://greenapplesblush.blogspot.com/2010/11/fourth-grade-history-and-literature.html

And here's what I'm doing for eighth grade, next year. The first time around, I did this program of study with my older son before SOTW came out. I have added in SOTW as a read alone for my younger son (because he likes it), but haven't made the weekly topics of study fit SOTW. Reading of it will be done in bursts (particularly near the beginning of the year, when several 19th century topics are completed in addition to those we're finishing up right now). My emphasis these last two years before high school has been on American history.

http://greenapplesblush.blogspot.com/2011/04/civil-war-4-weeks-read-alouds-week-1.html

My oldest is just entering the Logic stage, but have you looked at History Odyssey? It follows the WTM guidelines. My 5th grader will be doing Ancients next year.

Another vote for History Odyssey! We are 1/2 way through Level 2 Modern. It is excellent. We supplemented with more literature and primary sources when we wanted more depth.

I love to plan on my own and have done so in the past, but with 2 other children to teach and a toddler to manage, my new philosophy is if I find something that I'm 70% happy with, I'll buy it to save the hours and hours of planning time.

History Odyssey fit the bill and was relatively cheap. $35 from Rainbow Resources.

Another option for you may be Biblioplan. To me it is like TOG "lite" (very light-no discussion questions, activities, etc.) At least the books and so on are planned out for you and they use very good books that you see on most popular book lists from curriculum companies (TOG, SL, etc). It is very economical (I think it is around $29 or so for the download.) Has maps that go with it, and timeline figures. It is modeled after WTM recs. (does not have outlining, like HO does. BUT it is from a Christian perspective)

I am actually using it again next yr, and that's saying a lot, since I am a huge tweaker. (I do add in some extras)

My oldest is just entering the Logic stage, but have you looked at History Odyssey? It follows the WTM guidelines. My 5th grader will be doing Ancients next year.

Another vote for History Odyssey! We are 1/2 way through Level 2 Modern. It is excellent. We supplemented with more literature and primary sources when we wanted more depth.

I love to plan on my own and have done so in the past, but with 2 other children to teach and a toddler to manage, my new philosophy is if I find something that I'm 70% happy with, I'll buy it to save the hours and hours of planning time.

History Odyssey fit the bill and was relatively cheap. $35 from Rainbow Resources.

Thank you ladies! I've never taken a look at History Odyssey before. Wow! I will have to dig in deep and check it out. I am curious to know how this compares to TruthQuest, another similar history guide that I read about on another thread. Maybe there's a thread on that already...hmmm.

In both HO and TQ, is the guide the text, or is there a booklist of resources to purchase to use along side the guide?

Another option for you may be Biblioplan. To me it is like TOG "lite" (very light-no discussion questions, activities, etc.) At least the books and so on are planned out for you and they use very good books that you see on most popular book lists from curriculum companies (TOG, SL, etc). It is very economical (I think it is around $29 or so for the download.) Has maps that go with it, and timeline figures. It is modeled after WTM recs. (does not have outlining, like HO does. BUT it is from a Christian perspective)

I am actually using it again next yr, and that's saying a lot, since I am a huge tweaker. (I do add in some extras)

I've read about Biblioplan here on the boards, but like the other two mentioned above, I've never looked into until today. I've been so sold on TOG that I just haven't looked at anything else in a long time. And like I asked about TQ and HO, is the guide the text, or is there a booklist of resources to purchase to use along side the guide?

Thank you all. I can see I have some research to do in the coming months, but this really helps a lot.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I create my own lesson plans. Many people have lesson plans available online. I'm sure others will provide you with multiple links. I don't happen to have any saved. Primary resources? If by that you mean my "spines" for the year, then I tend to use encyclopedic works for that purpose, because they can be used each week as a jumping off point. I use multiples of these, which is overkill, but I have found them at sales very cheaply, in general, and like the variety. It's not necessary to use multiple sources, but you get more variety in the voice of the authors if you do and that makes for better discussions of differences in opinion....

I don't necessarily narrow down what we will read from a book each week until we start reading it. If it seems very well done, my son is enjoying it, it is sparking good discussion, and I think it's important, then I'll read all of it if I can (have time). Very often, however, I'm reading excerpts, or a chapter here and there, and using those to facilitate conversation about the subject.

I spend as long as I feel we can on areas of interest. I will often move on in our reading for the following week, but if we finish that will come back to more reading in our area of interest. I've been reading from a variety of early 19th century topics pertaining mostly to America for the past few weeks, for instance, as time allows.

This is what I did for fourth grade, using SOTW as my spine. Read alouds could easily be used as read alones, etc. to beef up the reading:

http://greenapplesblush.blogspot.com/2010/11/fourth-grade-history-and-literature.html

And here's what I'm doing for eighth grade, next year. The first time around, I did this program of study with my older son before SOTW came out. I have added in SOTW as a read alone for my younger son (because he likes it), but haven't made the weekly topics of study fit SOTW. Reading of it will be done in bursts (particularly near the beginning of the year, when several 19th century topics are completed in addition to those we're finishing up right now). My emphasis these last two years before high school has been on American history.

http://greenapplesblush.blogspot.com/2011/04/civil-war-4-weeks-read-alouds-week-1.html

Regina, you are an absolutely amazing hs teacher! When I was new here you shared some detailed info with me that helped me get started and I was completely impressed then as I am now. Your knack to pull things together is phenomenal! I will definitely check these suggestions out and will consider creating my own schedule and plan TWTM way too.

Thanks so much!

Blessings,

Lucinda

I've been reading about these two possible history plans and like what I see so far. Would someone please chime in and tell me what the main differences are between them? Do they both require about the same amount of planning for the teacher? Do they both include weekly written work for the student?

I really wish curriculum websites would give more nuts and bolts info as to how their programs work. :lol: Even looking at TOC's and samples it seems hard to get a good picture of how it all works.

Blessings,

Lucinda

:lurk5: We've been considering ditching TOG and going back to a WTM approach as well.

Is it also due to financial reasons? I know TOG is well worth the money - especially if you have a larger family and will use the books with more than one child, but if you only have one child like I do and your income is reduced ....it makes it really hard. No matter how much I love a curriculum, I can't justify the cost if there are other programs that will also do a good job for less money. KWIM? Even though I've found ways to save a lot and recoup some to reinvest in more books, unless we have an unexpected surprise coming soon that will no longer be enough.

On another note, I'm thinking that I might order one set of each Biblioplan and TruthQuest and personally check them out side by side. Someone posted another thread awhile back asking if they can be used together, but no one answered. I have the same question.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I own all 4 Biblioplan volumes, have bought (and sold) Truthquest Guides (for Ancients and Middle Ages) and have used Modern Level 2 History Odyssey and own Level 2 Ancients, as well as used Ancients and Middle Ages for Level 1.

In terms of depth... Biblioplan is more of a booklist and 3-day/week schedule. It is very helpful for the mom who wants to have the book choices narrowed down to 1-2 for each age group (K-2, 3-5, and 5th grade and up). There are not any questions or suggested discussions topics. No added links. But we found the book lists valuable, although many were out of print and hard to find.

Truthquest and History Odyssey are very different programs. Truthquest's booklist is almost overwhelming... giving you nearly 10-20 choices on each topic. The author provides a commentary for each section. She evaluates history and events from a Christian world view, but it might not be *your* world view. I felt the commentary was interesting, but did not mesh with my goals for history. I wanted my children to think on their own, not be told what to think. I also didn't see things as a great dichotomy, between "us" and "them."

What I really appreciate about History Odyssey is that although it is secular, it contains a more balanced approach to studying history. It is not pre-digested commentary, but a catalyst to think critically, allowing the student to draw her own conclusions.

I think HO keeps very close to the methods and books recommended for Logic Stage history in the WTM and specifically, the Modern Level 2 is well worth the cost. It is much more in depth than the Ancients Level 2. You will need to buy a spine (KHE and van Loon recommended), as well as 7-10 supplementary historical fiction/ literature books. I like having the books chosen and assignments explained very clearly, rather than having an exhaustive list of books to choose from and no clear direction on what to do after the book is read.

HO (Modern) also contains step-by-step daily lesson plans for over 120 lessons.

Edited by Jean in CA

Well TOG year 2 is actually Early modern in the last 2 units. If you have all of year 2 then you only need to add a bit more to get the 3rd year. I am at the 1/2 way point of it and SOTW year 2 is done. Perhaps only buying unit 1 of year 3? I am NOT sure what I am doing for the rest of modern. I have SOTW 3, Hakim books, TGPOE.....yikes! I will most likely end up buying either HO early modern 2 or another TOG unit. Either way I would have no issue loaning something out:)

Thank you ladies! I've never taken a look at History Odyssey before. Wow! I will have to dig in deep and check it out. I am curious to know how this compares to TruthQuest, another similar history guide that I read about on another thread. Maybe there's a thread on that already...hmmm.

In both HO and TQ, is the guide the text, or is there a booklist of resources to purchase to use along side the guide?

With HO, the Guide is just the Guide, and you can purchase one of their Timelines as well (nicely done timelines). There is a booklist for you to purchase (if you download the 'try before you buy' option, you'll see the frontmatter, including the book list, and the first several lessons to try out, as well as the outline of the entire course, which is a nice preview!

I am supplementing with a few additional library books and a few additional activities (a pyramid to excavate, a mummy to wrap, a coloseum to build, etc) and field trips when I can. But we're loving the program so far, just a few weeks in (level I ancients for DS7 and level II ancients for DS10-- I'm a glutton for punishment and didn't just combine them into one program).

Good luck finding what works for you!

Jen

http://hillandalefarmschool.blogspot.com/