Menu

Paris Itinerary Suggestions?

We'll be arriving to Paris on a Friday afternoon.

Kids ages 13 and 11.

We are not into museum overkill - just the main ones.

Dd loves fashion and flea market type places - vintage clothing, etc. I'm happy with pretty much anything.

Ds likes parks, etc.

Dh is is flexible and easy-to-please.

Would GREATLY appreciate any feedback. :)

We know that this is a very ambitious plan and we realize that we cannot do it all, nor are we necessarily sure that we want to do it all :tongue_smilie:. This is a rough outline. We're flexible and are open to suggestions. Dh and I have not been to Paris since either of us were kids, and this will be a first time for the kids.

SATURDAY

* Rick Steves Rue Cler Walk

* Trocadero and Eiffel Tower - early evening

----

SUNDAY

* ONE of the 3 Parisian Flea Markets that daughter would love to visit - we would visit them all, but feel that there won't be enough time. Thinking of Le Marche aux Puces de Cligancourt

Marche-aux-puces-saint-ouen.jpg

* Rick Steves Historic Paris Walk - not all of it, just the parts that interest us

* Sunset Cruise on Seine

----

MONDAY

* Montmartre - Wondering if it's nicer to be here for early morning before tourists arrive OR at sunset for the view

* Jardin des Plantes

* Champs Elysee and Arc de Triomphe – is it best to be here at sunset, or does it not really matter?

I am assuming that most kids enjoy going up the Arc. Is entry for children free? Is it worth going up?

----

TUESDAY - this day seems a bit overly ambitious - guess we'll do what we can

* Montparnasse Tower - RS says to go early in the day for clearest skies, or to go at sunset, but not after dark

* Left Bank Walk

* Jardins de Luxembourg

* Marais

* Avenue Montaigne/Fashion Area

* La Maison du Chocolat

----

WEDNESDAY

* Get a 2-Day Museum Pass for dh and I today???

* Rooftop Views at Galeries Lafayette and/or Printmeps department stores

* Fragonard Perfume Museum

* Orsay, Orangerie, Rodin (Garden only)

* Louvre in evening

----

THURSDAY - this is our last full day - very undecided

* The area of Belleville near Parc de Belleville

Parc-de-Belleville-inside.jpg

OR

* The Parc des Buttes-Chaumont

parc_des_buttes_chaumont_lake_w_island_and_footbridge_pto_david_lefranc_138-37.jpg

OR

* VERSAILLES

OR

GIVERNY and MONET'S GARDENS - although we would love, love, love to go here, train fares would be too costly, as would renting a car, so I guess this won't happen :confused:

Thank you so much. :)

I was reading along happily 'til I got to Wednesday. And then my eyes bugged out. ;) Really... You could spend all day at the Musée d'Orsay, or all week at the Louvre... Half a day at the Rodin gardens... And you'll already be tired from all the sight-seeing on previous days!

I'm *not* trying to be discouraging. Really. But pick one or *maybe* two of those (knowing you'll barely scratch the surface at any of them)... So many wonderful things to see... I'm having a tough time saying *which* to see. I love the Musée d'Orsay. The building itself is so fantastic, and the range of art to see, and there's a wonderful little café under the clock where you can have a pastry and rest your feet... The Louvre is just so completely overwhelming. Maybe pick one or two small sections that interest you and plan to skip everything else. The Rodin gardens and the orangerie are beautiful and if you have good weather, doing one or the other would be great... But all on the same day? Hard for me to imagine *how*.

As for your last day... Versailles is amazing and totally worth seeing -- especially if the weather is good, 'cause the gardens and the Chateau de la Reine are so very cool... But it is a long train trip and a lot of walking at the end of an otherwise incredibly full week. Parc des Buttes Chaumont is beautiful. I can definitely see just spending the day people-watching and picnicking there...

Your week in Paris sounds amazing. I'm not overly familiar with the various sites you chose, but I would try to do the most important ones (to you) first. And weather may end up being a factor.

My 19yo dd and I visited for 2 days, exactly a year ago. We were both glad we spent a half day at Versailles, but mainly I enjoyed the outdoor gardens (on the weekend when we paid to see the fountains and music). The kids can rent bikes or boats there, but there were about 20,000 people on the grounds when we went . . . OFF-season. Museum Pass saved us 90 minutes in huge long line.

We only walked past the Arc d'Triomphe, (and down the Champs Elysses, after the Museums--they're in a long row). The Arc is in the center of a busy round-about, so you must walk underground to get to the center area. We just stood across the street and took pictures.

Sadly, Eiffel and the Arc were both being renovated and were partially covered with scaffolding. There were 500 people in line to go up in the Eiffel, so we were thankful we'd only planned to stay on the ground. (Do a Google Image Search: "Eiffel Tower Queue") They are lit at night!

I love the pictures in your post, and want to re-assure you that you'll have a wonderful time . . . no matter what you do. We "raced" through the Orange and D'Orsay Museums with our Paris Museum Pass (which has Line Jumping Privilege=worth the $$), spending an hour in each . . . but felt like we saw enough! Half day was spent at the Louvre.

Also try to become familiar with the Metro lines, as they are an inexpensive, convenient, local way of getting from place to place.

And Rick Steves is such a great resource! (I believe he has forums on his website.) Have a wonderful trip.

Instead of going up in the Eiffel Tower, we climbed the million stairs to the top of the Notre Dame Cathedral. Price is included in the Museum Pass.

Great for exercising kids' legs, with a breath-taking view at the top.

Hunchback of Notre Dame's bell-tower is at the half-way point.

We also went to their Sunday AM church service, and self-tour.

Versailles was a favorite--get your tickets ahead of time to save time waiting in line. Marie Antoinette's estate was our favorite part. We spent the whole day there and had such a memorable time. When we returned to Paris, we watched Marie Antoinette with Kirsten Dunst and sort of relived the day and relaxed.

One thing we do when we travel is to have one main objective for the day. Say we're going to the Louvre. We head to the Louvre and when we're done, we're aware of what is nearby and walk past or visit if we have the time and energy. The Louvre is amazing--you'll not have enough time there no matter what, so choose one or two areas to explore if you can and go from there.

When we went to Montmarte, we also went to Sacre-Coeur and enjoyed picnicking on the steps. We also went in and joined a mass for a little while. The music was beautiful. We just sat near the edge and stayed for 15 minutes or so as none of us spoke French. It felt okay to leave because tourists kept coming in and out all of that time, so we just did so quietly. I recommend the experience.

Enjoy! So much to enjoy in Paris. We also ate pan au chocolate for breakfast nearly every morning. They were about 3 or 4 for 1 euro, depending on the bakery. That and a cup of coffee--great way to start the day. Don't forget to take in some Parisian culture by taking some breaks to rejuvinate yourself--sit down for a cup of coffee and just people watch or sit in a garden and take a little catnap. You'll not see it all in a week, so really enjoy the things that you do at a pace that feels nice to your family!

Thank you all so much. :grouphug:

I was reading along happily 'til I got to Wednesday. And then my eyes bugged out.

:lol: Yes, it does get rather overwhelming. Dh and I, mostly me actually, are re-thinking parts of the itinerary. Since we're really not into museums - we may just do the Louvre (and yes - just 1 or 2 parts - really only going there to see Mona Lisa, otherwise, I'd much prefer Orsay), Versailles, and possibly Orsay, as well as the Rodin Gardens. We would all prefer to see sights than museums, and shopping/cafes than museums.

And no, you were not discouraging at all. :)

Versailles might still be fine on the Thursday. We won't be flying out of Paris. Taking the Eurostar out. Thursday seems to be a better day for Versailles ... based on what I have read.

Thanks so much.

want to re-assure you that you'll have a wonderful time . . . no matter what you do.

Beth, I cannot begin to tell you how much I have appreciated your helpful and encouraging posts throughout our trip planning. :grouphug: Plus, seeing your avatar every time brings a smile to my face - one of our favorite movies.

Thanks so much for all the very helpful suggestions.

Instead of going up in the Eiffel Tower, we climbed the million stairs to the top of the Notre Dame Cathedral. Price is included in the Museum Pass.

Am thinking of this. We will go up ET as well, not me (vertigo), but dh and dc ... because they may not forgive us if we don't go there ;). It's either this or the London Eye, and they prefer this.

Versailles was a favorite--get your tickets ahead of time to save time waiting in line.

Thanks so much. Yes, will get them in advance.

Will only focus on one or two areas in the Louvre.

Looking forward to Montmartre and Sacre Coeur.

Enjoy! So much to enjoy in Paris.

Don't forget to take in some Parisian culture by taking some breaks to rejuvinate yourself--sit down for a cup of coffee and just people watch or sit in a garden and take a little catnap. You'll not see it all in a week, so really enjoy the things that you do at a pace that feels nice to your family!

Thanks, I keep telling myself this. :D

May I suggest a Poilane bakery for picking up lunch fixings? Don't know where they are located, but definitely a destination for the bread-oriented. :001_smile:

Thank you. :D

I think your itinerary looks awesome! Can I come, please? Oh can I? :DActually, I have been to Paris and do plan to go again in my lifetime if at all possible. You are in for a treat of a lifetime!

One of my most memorable sites in all of Paris was a small cathedral called St. Chapelle. It would be quite easy to fit in on Monday or Tuesday of your schedule and would be well worth the extra hour of time. This is an exquisite place right in the heart of the city near where you will be already. You will find there colors in stained glass and ornately painted walls that are a feast for the eyes like no other cathedral in all of France. There is a great deal of history connected to St. Chapelle that you'll want to read up on ahead of time.

Whenever I am asked to recommend a site for visitors to Paris I always recommend St. Chapelle, and those that have gone have thanked me because they too loved it.

Have a wonderful vacation! You will love the food and all of the amazing sites that you experience.

Blessings,

Lucinda

The Louvre used to have a fabulous English language tour. Took about two hours and hit some of the main points of the museum. I highly recommend seeing if they still do it. It used to happen about 11am each morning. I'm sure there were afternoon tours, as well.

It's a great 'intro' to the Louvre...you'll see the Mona Lisa, the Venus, and the Winged Victory as high points with other wonderful things, too.

A perfect sample.

Personally, I could live in the Orsay. Oh my. Fabulous. My sons were teens when we lived in Europe and they loved the Orsay, too.

We recommend the Seine River boat tour...very cool, especially at night with all the lights.

Eat plenty of freshly made crepes, have a crossiant from a bakery, drink coffee, hot chocolate, or wine at a table outside a restaurant. Savor every moment.

Bon voyage!

Personally, I could live in the Orsay. Oh my. Fabulous. My sons were teens when we lived in Europe and they loved the Orsay, too.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Of course, I'm an art major and an art teacher by profession -- but to be surrounded by so many beautiful paintings every single day would be the delight of many. It sounds like a piece of Heaven!!

Eat plenty of freshly made crepes, have a crossiant from a bakery, drink coffee, hot chocolate, or wine at a table outside a restaurant. Savor every moment.

:iagree:

Oh yes, yes, yes! The French do know how to cook and to bake. I highly doubt that you'll have a single bad eating experience while there.

In the U.S., our flour and our ovens are far different than in France and it's very evident in their bread. It just can't be matched here on our continent, so savor the taste while you are in France. A picnic lunch one day with fresh baguettes, cheese and wine would be another winning suggestion to add to your list.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Sounds like you've got a lot of great things planned. You may decide to cut a few of those things once you are actually there and see how long it takes to visit one place and how long it takes to get from one spot to another. If you're not too into museums, I would just pick one art museum- either Orsay or the Louvre. The Cluny Museum is interesting with the baths and tapestries.

I also prefer the view from the top of Notre Dame. I still remember my legs shaking on the way back down, though! Lots of stairs. So worth it, though. You get to see some of the gargoyles up close.

Have fun and enjoy!

Wow. Honestly, there is no way you'll get to all of that. Seriously. You need to factor in lines (though if you get the museum pass, you can skip a lot of lines), getting from place to place and really, exhaustion (I'm assuming you'll also be battling jet lag, which is awful). The flea market you're planning is HUGE. Really, you could get lost there it's so huge, so make sure you keep everyone together (ask me how I know this!). Also, the are around it is a little sketchy, so be be cautious.

Go to Versailles!!!!! You will not be sorry. You could spend all day there. There is a place out in the grounds where you can rent bikes, which will make it easier to see more of the grounds. When my mom came over to visit us several years ago, we went to Versailles and rented bikes and it was so much fun!

Are you getting the museum passes? You REALLY need to. They can be purchased at any tourist office (we always buy them in the train station) and are worth every penny. They have an option where you can combine it with metro passes. This is an excellent thing! In the fold out that comes with the museum pass, it lists the entrances you can use with the pass at several places instead of going in the entrance where you have to buy your tickets. This saves loads of time. At the Louvre, we've seen people waiting in lines that were easily 2 hours long just to buy tickets, but with our passes, we went in a separate entrance and literally walked right in. It was the same way at Versailles!

Have a great time!

Thanks again everyone. :)

I think your itinerary looks awesome! Can I come, please? Oh can I? Actually, I have been to Paris and do plan to go again in my lifetime if at all possible. You are in for a treat of a lifetime!

Oh Lucinda, I wish you could join us. :grouphug:

One of my most memorable sites in all of Paris was a small cathedral called St. Chapelle. It would be quite easy to fit in on Monday or Tuesday of your schedule and would be well worth the extra hour of time. This is an exquisite place right in the heart of the city near where you will be already.

Thank you. I had read about it and now I've added it to our list. Sounds beautiful. :)

The Louvre used to have a fabulous English language tour. Took about two hours and hit some of the main points of the museum. I highly recommend seeing if they still do it. It used to happen about 11am each morning. I'm sure there were afternoon tours, as well.

A perfect sample.

We recommend the Seine River boat tour...very cool, especially at night with all the lights.

Bon voyage!

Thank you. Your suggestions are great. If it was me personally, I would only pick the Orsay. I love impressionistic art.

In the U.S., our flour and our ovens are far different than in France and it's very evident in their bread. It just can't be matched here on our continent, so savor the taste while you are in France. A picnic lunch one day with fresh baguettes, cheese and wine would be another winning suggestion to add to your list.

Sounds yummy and so nice. Definitely planning on some picnic lunches in at least one park.

Sounds like you've got a lot of great things planned. You may decide to cut a few of those things once you are actually there and see how long it takes to visit one place and how long it takes to get from one spot to another. If you're not too into museums, I would just pick one art museum- either Orsay or the Louvre. The Cluny Museum is interesting with the baths and tapestries.

I also prefer the view from the top of Notre Dame. I still remember my legs shaking on the way back down, though! Lots of stairs. So worth it, though. You get to see some of the gargoyles up close.

Have fun and enjoy!

Lynne, yes, we realize that some things will most definitely be cut out. I wish I could convince the family that we should only do Orsay. But they're set on the Louvre. So ... we may only do that ... we'll see and play it by ear. I think they're not too far from each other.

Is the top of the Notre Dame problematic for those who are claustrophobic or afraid of heights? I have the latter, for sure. A very bad case of vertigo, may I add ... I'm not even planning on going up the Eiffel Tower. Only dh and the dc. I assume that your legs were shaking from the rigorous workout and not from fear, correct? ;)

Wow. Honestly, there is no way you'll get to all of that. Seriously. You need to factor in lines (though if you get the museum pass, you can skip a lot of lines), getting from place to place and really, exhaustion (I'm assuming you'll also be battling jet lag, which is awful). The flea market you're planning is HUGE. Really, you could get lost there it's so huge, so make sure you keep everyone together (ask me how I know this!). Also, the are around it is a little sketchy, so be be cautious.

Yes, I fully realize that we won't get to do it all. I googled the line for the Eiffel Tower as Beth had suggested. Wow!

And yes, we'll have some jet lag for sure.

We're now planning on the Vanves flea market instead of the Cligancourt or whatever it's called. Said to be less crowded, sleazy, and just better overall. Less overwhelming. Do you know anything about that? Am I on the right track :tongue_smilie:? Really do appreciate your helpful feedback.

Go to Versailles!!!!! You will not be sorry. You could spend all day there.

Yes, we are most probably going to Versailles and if we do, it will be a full day event. :D

Are you getting the museum passes? You REALLY need to. They can be purchased at any tourist office (we always buy them in the train station) and are worth every penny. They have an option where you can combine it with metro passes. This is an excellent thing! In the fold out that comes with the museum pass, it lists the entrances you can use with the pass at several places instead of going in the entrance where you have to buy your tickets. This saves loads of time. At the Louvre, we've seen people waiting in lines that were easily 2 hours long just to buy tickets, but with our passes, we went in a separate entrance and literally walked right in. It was the same way at Versailles!

Have a great time!

If we get museum passes for dh and I, and we probably will, we will do the Louvre, Orsay, and Versailles on the Wednesday and Thursday.

Orsay - Wednesday morning

Louvre - Wednesday evening - 2 hours before closing or so

Versailles - Thursday

Seems like a 2-day pass for our non-museum family would make the most sense for us. Kids are free, I think, at these places ...

Combining them with metro passes sounds great. Never knew about that. Where would we get those? At a metro station or at the places where they sell museum passes? I had imagined that for the metro, we would just stock up on the carnet of 10 tickets, and buy more as needed. But now that you've told me about this ... hmmm ...

Thanks again everyone. :grouphug:

Lynne, yes, we realize that some things will most definitely be cut out. I wish I could convince the family that we should only do Orsay. But they're set on the Louvre. So ... we may only do that ... we'll see and play it by ear. I think they're not too far from each other.

Is the top of the Notre Dame problematic for those who are claustrophobic or afraid of heights? I have the latter, for sure. A very bad case of vertigo, may I add ... I'm not even planning on going up the Eiffel Tower. Only dh and the dc. I assume that your legs were shaking from the rigorous workout and not from fear, correct? ;)

Yes, the leg shaking was from me not be habituated to climbing a gazillion stairs! :D Climbing Notre Dame might be bad for a claustrophobic, the winding stairwell does seem to go on for quite a while. I think both locations would be bad for someone afraid of heights, with Notre Dame slightly less so. If you decide to stay below, I think the area around Notre Dame is nicer to hang out in while you wait for your family, but that's just my opinion. Orsay and the Louvre are not far apart. I've walked from Orsay to the Louvre, but the lines can be long and you will just do a whirlwind of the major pieces if you do both in the same day. Not necessarily bad if that's what the kids will like. I'm excited for you! Paris is so fun.

I wish I could convince the family that we should only do Orsay. But they're set on the Louvre. So ... we may only do that ... we'll see and play it by ear. I think they're not too far from each other.

Oh, but....but....but --- you can't go to Paris and not see both!!! (Sorry, I'm an art teacher and I'm starting to hyperventilate as I think about it.) In both museums lie the most famous artworks in the entire world. You just can't appreciate them only from the reproductions in books, and you will be right there where they are. If you go to both, you and your children would remember it all for a lifetime.

Okay, I'm stepping off my soapbox now. :D

Blessings,

Lucinda

Yes, I fully realize that we won't get to do it all. I googled the line for the Eiffel Tower as Beth had suggested. Wow!

And yes, we'll have some jet lag for sure.

We're now planning on the Vanves flea market instead of the Cligancourt or whatever it's called. Said to be less crowded, sleazy, and just better overall. Less overwhelming. Do you know anything about that? Am I on the right track :tongue_smilie:? Really do appreciate your helpful feedback.

Yes, we are most probably going to Versailles and if we do, it will be a full day event. :D

If we get museum passes for dh and I, and we probably will, we will do the Louvre, Orsay, and Versailles on the Wednesday and Thursday.

Orsay - Wednesday morning

Louvre - Wednesday evening - 2 hours before closing or so

Versailles - Thursday

Seems like a 2-day pass for our non-museum family would make the most sense for us. Kids are free, I think, at these places ...

Combining them with metro passes sounds great. Never knew about that. Where would we get those? At a metro station or at the places where they sell museum passes? I had imagined that for the metro, we would just stock up on the carnet of 10 tickets, and buy more as needed. But now that you've told me about this ... hmmm ...

The kids are free at most places. The passes can be bought at the train stations and a few metro stations and even at the museums. Oh, you can buy them at the airport tourist offices too! The metro passes can be purchased at the same places. The tourist offices at the train stations and airports are the best places to buy them because the people who work there are multi-lingual so they will definitely speak English. Since you'll only need the museum pass for 2 days, but the metro cards for 5, you can buy the museum pass 2 day and then get the Paris Visitee pass for 5 days. It's really a better deal than buying the 10 tickets at a time (with the kids they would get eaten up pretty quickly). Also, if you don't know, kids are required to pay for the metro passes. Children are ages 4-11 and teens are 12-17, so you'll have one of each. You can go here to see the prices for the visitee pass. Oh, and the passes have unlimited travel, so you can use the metro as much as you like. I love the metro!

The other flea market it slightly better than the Cligancourt, but not much. It's a lot smaller too, so you're less likely to get separated or lost (and people DO get lost at Cligancourt).

Gosh, now I want to go to Paris this weekend! It's only a 5 hour train ride for me. :D

Have loads of fun!!!!

Lynne, thanks again. :)

Oh, but....but....but --- you can't go to Paris and not see both!!! (Sorry, I'm an art teacher and I'm starting to hyperventilate as I think about it.) In both museums lie the most famous artworks in the entire world. You just can't appreciate them only from the reproductions in books, and you will be right there where they are. If you go to both, you and your children would remember it all for a lifetime.

Okay, I'm stepping off my soapbox now. :D

Blessings,

Lucinda

Lucinda, looks like we will be doing both. :D

We have a book Degas and the Little Dancer. I realized that Degas's Little Dancer is in the Louvre, so yes, that and other reasons, are good enough to go to the Louvre. :)

I appreciate your soapbox. Keep the great ideas coming! :D

And yes, we'll head to Orsay also.

The tourist offices at the train stations and airports are the best places to buy them because the people who work there are multi-lingual so they will definitely speak English. Since you'll only need the museum pass for 2 days, but the metro cards for 5, you can buy the museum pass 2 day and then get the Paris Visitee pass for 5 days. It's really a better deal than buying the 10 tickets at a time (with the kids they would get eaten up pretty quickly). Also, if you don't know, kids are required to pay for the metro passes. Children are ages 4-11 and teens are 12-17, so you'll have one of each. You can go here to see the prices for the visitee pass. Oh, and the passes have unlimited travel, so you can use the metro as much as you like. I love the metro!

The other flea market it slightly better than the Cligancourt, but not much. It's a lot smaller too, so you're less likely to get separated or lost (and people DO get lost at Cligancourt).

Gosh, now I want to go to Paris this weekend! It's only a 5 hour train ride for me. :D

Have loads of fun!!!!

Your tips are incredibly helpful. I never even knew about the Visitee Pass. Thank you!

Thanks also about Vanves.

You're lucky that Paris is so close to you. :)

get the Paris Visitee pass for 5 days.

Having re-looked at my notes just now, I realize that I must have had amnesia and forgotten all about the Visitee Pass. Really do appreciate you reminding me! :grouphug:

I read this and it looks like it will work out great as far as going to Versailles also, since it's my understanding that the RER train goes to Versailles ...

"The Paris Visit Pass provides unlimited rides on the transport system of the Ile-de-France region including the safe and efficient Metro, RER (regional express trains), bus (to see Paris from the window of a Parisian bus), tramway, suburban Transilien SNCF trains, Montmartre funicular, Montmartrobus, Noctambus, Optile bus system."

Of course, I'll ask them when we're there.

We're considering - just considering - Parc Asterix. Our dc are huge Asterix fans, as is dh.

4552341_l.jpeg

Has anyone been?

If so, should we go by shuttle, rent a car, or RER (less expensive than the shuttle or renting a car, but looks a bit more complicated/tedious) ... Of course, Parc Asterix is certainly not cheap. Also, to me, it seems a bit weird to go to Paris and to do the whole theme park thing. Theme parks I associate with Orlando and So. Cal - but not Paris. :lol:

Thank you again.

We went to Parc Asterix last summer. It was lots of fun, and we're not even huge Asterix fans. It might be a nice break from more traditional sightseeing things. I remember there seemed to be quite a lot of water rides and all the kids got very very wet, so you might want to be prepared.

We went to Parc Asterix last summer. It was lots of fun, and we're not even huge Asterix fans. It might be a nice break from more traditional sightseeing things. I remember there seemed to be quite a lot of water rides and all the kids got very very wet, so you might want to be prepared.

Thanks so much.

Dh and I decided to not go. Too little time and too much hassle. We'll save the theme parks for when we're in the U.S.

Since you live in France, it makes sense to go. That's how I've always felt about Disneyland Paris also. I can't imagine going to Disney Paris unless if we lived in Europe or something.

For us, who don't visit Europe all that often, and when we do, time is short, we'd prefer to spend the time that we have on the European things. :)

... really only going there to see Mona Lisa, otherwise, I'd much prefer Orsay...

For heaven's sake DON'T go to the Louvre for the Mona Lisa! You can't get within 20 feet of the painting. It's behind glass and there's a glare, so you can barely see it anyway. And there are always a *ton* of people crowding up to the ropes to try to catch a glimpse.

It might well be the single most disappointing thing *at* the Louvre.

Really.

If *that's* why you're going, then just *don't*.

My favorite painting at the Louvre is Wedding at Cana. it is *massive*, the figures are life sized! There is no appreciating that from a book. There are loads of wonderful paintings at both the Louvre and the Orsay. I would be hard pressed to choose just one. Eta: The Rodin doesn't take that long, it is pretty easy to fit in. I will add that the Lou re has more religious art. The Orsay has quite a lot of art that dh's elderly relatives found p*rnographic. Those things may or may not be relevant to you, but I know a lot of people here would find them to be so. :)

The RER goes to Versailles, but (if memory serves) you may need to pay for an extra zone. A car in Paris is way more complicated than the train. The train is *easy*.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

You can't get within 20 feet of the painting.

You have a very good point.

I have printed out one of the Louvre's many "Thematic Tours" from their site. They tell you where to go and how long it takes depending on what you want to see - Venus de Milo, etc. So we will try to see more. I just happen to know that we'll love the Orsay much more.

My plan is for us to go to the Louvre about 2 hours before closing on a Wednesday. Apparently, less crowded then and open late.

If there are few people there, or, should I say, fewer than normal, is the closest still 20 feet from the painting?

We have a refrigerator magnet of Mona Lisa. Sounds like the magnet will give us a better view. :lol:

My favorite painting at the Louvre is Wedding at Cana. it is *massive*, the figures are life sized! There is no appreciating that from a book.

Yes, I saw this on the Rick Steves show. Looked really nice. I think it's one that we'll be seeing on the Thematic Trail or whatever it's called.

The Rodin doesn't take that long, it is pretty easy to fit in.

Sounds good. May do that also. Thank you. :)

The Orsay has quite a lot of art that dh's elderly relatives found p*rnographic. Those things may or may not be relevant to you, but I know a lot of people here would find them to be so. :)

Yes, we saw that on the Rick Steves show. Ds is the only one (he's at that age) protesting. His funny comments are cracking us up already. :lol: Nope, we don't have a problem with it. But thank you, anyway.

The RER goes to Versailles, but (if memory serves) you may need to pay for an extra zone. A car in Paris is way more complicated than the train. The train is *easy*.

Thank you so much for that. Helps a lot and is good to know.

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone has time, would really appreciate you glancing at our new rough and revised itinerary. Thoughts, comments, feedback are more than welcome.

DAY ONE

Vanves Flea Market

Not really sure what to do after Vanves :confused: ... we would like to be at the Eiffel Tower for the evening - this is the day I feel we need most help with

Pedestrian Area Around Saint Eustache and/or Rue Cler?

Jardins de Luxembourg

The Trocadero and Eiffel Tower for sunset and after dark

DAY TWO

If we can get there early enough, Montmarte BEFORE 9:30 AM – if not any other weekday morning OR for sunset

Rick Steves Historic Paris Walk Day - Notre Dame, Sainte-Chappelle

Night Seine River Cruise

DAY THREE

Montmartre - either in the morning OR for sunset?

Galeries Lafayette

Printemps

Champs Elysees and Arc de Triomphe

Montmartre - if we haven't yet had a chance to go, to be there for sunset and to stay for dinner

DAY FOUR

Rick Steves Left Bank Walk

Jardins de Luxembourg

Rick Steves Marais Walk

DAY FIVE

Orsay and the Rodin Gardens

The Louvre in the evening - only doing certain parts, no museum overkill for us!

DAY SIX

Versailles

Thank you so much. :grouphug:

The new itinerary looks much more doable, but keep in mind that the walks are usually long and you will be tired from traveling and just the sheer amount of walking you'll be doing.

You may spend a lot of time at the flea markets, so there might not be time for anything else after this. Montmartre is beautiful at sunset. I'd save it for the evening. BTW, the Seine river cruise is one of my favorite things to do. It's so beautiful.

Indy and I leave for Paris tomorrow! We're going to take the train tomorrow morning and come back Monday night. We're both very excited.

When do you guys actually leave?

One of my most memorable sites in all of Paris was a small cathedral called St. Chapelle. It would be quite easy to fit in on Monday or Tuesday of your schedule and would be well worth the extra hour of time. This is an exquisite place right in the heart of the city near where you will be already. You will find there colors in stained glass and ornately painted walls that are a feast for the eyes like no other cathedral in all of France. There is a great deal of history connected to St. Chapelle that you'll want to read up on ahead of time.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Thank you all so much. :)

Indy and I leave for Paris tomorrow! We're going to take the train tomorrow morning and come back Monday night. We're both very excited. When do you guys actually leave?

Have fun!

I'll PM you about when we leave.

It's probably doable, but you will be exhausted at the end of each day. Bring good shoes! Have fun!

Yes, I realize that the plan is still a bit ambitious and may be very exhausting. We'll play it by ear and spend lots of time in parks and cafeterias, I'm sure. Yes, good shoes are ready! :D

Thank you. :)

If anyone has more suggestions/feedback, please do share.

Thank you.

Slight change in plan - probably not going to the Vanves Flea Market after all on Day 1.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what to do on the morning of Day 1 - please do share.

Should we just take it easy and head to:

Rue Cler/Saint Eustache area

Jardins de Luxembourg

then we have MANY hours free before the evening at Tour d'Eiffel, etc.

I don't know why, but I'm feeling so indecisive about day one. On the one hand, I like to take it easy and relax and hang out in cafes. OTOH, I feel that the family may want to do more. We like to have a plan, but then be flexible with it and to go from there.

Maybe we should do one of Rick Steves Walks in the morning ...

Thanks.