Menu

? for knitters/crocheters - yarn stash storage

For those of you that knit or crochet, how do you store your yarn?

I currently have mine in Rubbermaid totes in a closet, but it is not practical having to dig through them when I need to find a specific skein.

How else could I store my yarn so that it is out of the way, yet easily accessible?

Gallon Ziplock bags. I store fabric that way also. We used to live in farming areas and it was attractive to mice. Plastic was the only way around that. Same with other things...we avoided any kind of paper, cardstock, or fabric boxing...everything had to be in plastic containers.

I have an embarrassing amount of yarn. I accumulated a ton in my first couple of years of knitting, and am still working through it.

I keep two clear Rubbermaid containers in the basement, full of yarn. It's not super-accessible, but at least I can see what's in there.

Then I got one of these from Ikea, and have it hanging in our bedroom closet (we've got plenty of space in there). I keep yarn I'm planning on using in the foreseeable future in there, so it's easily accessible.

I have a bit of a yarn problem...so here are my organizational moves, although I don't claim to have licked the over purchase issue.

Some yarn is in file boxes in the basement on gorilla racks. In that case, I put a large garbage bag in each box, and kept like yarns together, and closed the bag around the whole box worth of yarns. I put the lids on the boxes, but the bags are what really keeps the yarn dust- and bug-free. I snip a 4 inch piece of each yarn and tape it to front label area of the box, so I know what is in there visually.

I also bought a ton of yarn storage plastic zipper bags from a yarn store that was closing, and put sets of skeins in those. Easy to see, piled up on shelves, no bugs or dust.

I'd recommend Ravelry. If you enter your stash there, you can make a note on each entry about where it's stored. It's a bit of bear to get all your yarn entered on there, but once it is, you can browse your stash without actually physically pulling all of it out of its tubs or bags or whatever. You can see at a glance if you have enough of a certain yarn for whatever pattern you're considering. It's so cool!

I have my not-so-nice acrylic in crates and my nicer yarn in plastic tubs. But honestly, for me, Ravelry is what makes it all easy to use.

But be warned: Ravelry might be even more of a time-suck than these forums! :lol:

Jumping in here entirely OT. I'm not a yarn keeper so I can't be of help to the original topic, lol. So instead I'll derail... If you have any GOOD quality wool in girly colors, I'd love to trade. I have two skeins here from Laines Magnifique I had planned longies for but found out this is a girl. ;) So, should any yarnies want to trade....

And this is my actual yarn storage solution. Don't keep anything that doesn't have a plan. Don't buy anything that doesn't have a plan. All birthday party inviters shall receive some kind of knitted something from stashed yarn. Goal in life: Wipe out the stash. Fabric included. (Gasp!)

I'd recommend Ravelry. If you enter your stash there, you can make a note on each entry about where it's stored. It's a bit of bear to get all your yarn entered on there, but once it is, you can browse your stash without actually physically pulling all of it out of its tubs or bags or whatever. You can see at a glance if you have enough of a certain yarn for whatever pattern you're considering. It's so cool!

I have my not-so-nice acrylic in crates and my nicer yarn in plastic tubs. But honestly, for me, Ravelry is what makes it all easy to use.

But be warned: Ravelry might be even more of a time-suck than these forums! :lol:

Oh, Ravelry is a HUGE time-sucker! But I LOVE IT!

I was just going to recommend a group on Ravelry called "An Organized Knitting Club." LOTS of great suggestions there about storage of all sorts of things, as well as keeping multiple projects going (my problem) and other great time-saving ideas.

astrid ("astridrobi" on ravelry!)

I've browsed Ravelry for hours looking for patterns, but I didn't know about the stash aspect of it. Thanks!

And sorry....I only have a bit of blue and grey wool at this time. (I've been in more of a cotton or homespun mood lately.) ;)