Menu

Summer Reading List suggestions for a soon-to-be 2nd grader?

I want to put a list together for dd for independent reading for this summer. I'm thinking she can choose one book at a time from this list along with whatever other free reading she wants to do. She's reading at a 5th/6th grade level, but for independent reading I'm thinking maybe a 4th/5th grade level is best. This would be in addition to our nightly literature read-aloud. Also, she does a lot of history reading during the year so I'm thinking some good, fun kid lit would probably give her a nice break.

Some of the books she has read independently and enjoyed this year are:

All of a Kind Family

Betsy-Tacy

The Hundred Dresses

Mr. Popper's Penguins

Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle

I have the Little House Books so those will be going on the list (although we may read these together since I love them so much). I also have Fantastic Mr. Fox, James and the Giant Peach, The Penderwicks, and several American Girl books. I'm looking for other great books that will be fun for her to read on her own, but not so amazing that we will have missed out by not using it as a read aloud. I'm also thinking of getting a few of the Ramona books.

Any other suggestions? :D

I am looking at the bookshelf in front of me. Some of the titles I recall my youngest enjoying at around that age:

Matilda

Ginger Pie

Because of Winn Dixie (I think she rereads this once or twice a year still lol Although this might have questionable content for some)

The Mysterious Benedict Society series

Island of the Blue Dolphins

Charlotte's Web

Babe the Gallant Pig

The Water Horse

Harriet the Spy

From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs Basil E Frankweiler

Anne of Green Gables

Five Children and It

Which Witch

Edited by LibraryLover

I am looking at the bookshelf in front of me. Some of the titles I recall my youngest enjoying at around that age:

Matilda

Ginger Pie

Because of Winn Dixie (I think she rereads this once or twice a year still lol Although this might have questionable content for some)

The Mysterious Benedict Society series

Island of the Blue Dolphins

Charlotte's Web

Babe the Gallant Pig

The Water Horse

Harriet the Spy

From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs Basil E Frankweiler

Anne of Green Gables

Five Children and It

Which Witch

Thanks!! I see a lot of good ones on there. I forgot about the Benedict Society series, I got the first one for my nephew a couple years ago and he really enjoyed it.

Off to look into some of the others on Amazon.... :auto:

5th/6th grade reading level at the end of 1st grade is impressive. I tried to include books that were at that level but still with a child like bent.

Trumpet of the Swan

Stuart Little

Cricket in Times Square

Betsy-Tacy ---continue the series

More advanced in content but may be enjoyable based on reading level.

Louisa May Alcott books---including because of 5th/6th grade reading level, not sure if will be appropriate---try An Old-Fashioned Girl and 8 Cousins to start. Little Women is an epic, not sure I would start a 2nd grader on it.

Johnny Tremain---(historical) Themes may be a little heavy. You may wish to skim prior.

The old Nancy Drew series, Cherry Ames, Trixie Belden (check local library).

Dick King-Smith has many animal books which are content-appropriate for this age but at a mid-to-late elementary reading level.

Owls in the Family by Farley Mowatt is a lot of fun, and great natural history reading.

101 Dalmatians and its sequel, The Starlight Barking, by Dodie Smith. Don't dismiss the book on the basis of the Disney movie - the book is wonderful.

Does it show that my daughter likes to read about animals? ;)

Lets see -We loved Betsy Tacy as first chapter books also!

That age is tough - bc so much is too mature, but they can read it! Let me see my daughter's shelves:

*Baby Island and Caddie Woodlawn series, Carol Ryrie Brink

*Elizabeth Enright, Melendy series, Thimble Summer and Gone A Way Lake w/sequel

*Elizabeth Coatsworth - Happy Little Family series and Sally series

*Carolyn Haywood

*Beverly Cleary

*Little House series

*Milly-Molly-Mandy series

*The Moffats series

*E.B. White books

I don't think a soon to be second grader is quite ready for Alcott or L.M. Mongomery. They are rich! Wait a few years on those authors...