Menu

Another CW question, about Homer in particular

Penelope

Does CW teach traditional outlining the way I'm assuming WWS will, as described in TWTM?

If so, in what level?

I see from the samples that Aesop does a sort of key word sentence-by-sentence outline, listing out the sentences by number. But I'm not talking about that. I mean, I. paragraph 1 with A, B, C supporting points and so forth.

Edited by Penelope

:D

Board has moved so fast today. Just a friendly bump.

According to the scope and sequence, Homer uses hierarchical outlining. Does not say whether it is in level A or B, or what level (one, two, three level?) it goes to, or whether the children just outline something else, or outline and rewrite, or outline their own ideas and then write from the outline.

I know that CW does have the student retell the fable from their outline in Aesop, so I'm guessing that they have the student outline and rewrite in future levels.

I went ahead and posted some of the questions from this thread over at the CW forums, I'll let you know what I hear.

Writing Project 5 in Homer teaches outlining similar to the 5th grade recommendations in TWTM by writing sentence summaries of paragraphs. In TWTM this is done with just roman numerals with one sentence per paragraph. In CW, the Roman numerals are used for the headings introduction, body, and conclusion; so we wrote the summary sentences using capital letters. The summary sentences were for scenes not paragraphs, but it is basically the same concept. Homer does not teaching the multiple level outlines as laid out in TWTM for 6th grade and up. HTH

Here's what I posted over at the CW forum...

How does CW teach outlining and when does it teach those skills?

More specifically when does it teach outlining like this...I. paragraph 1 with A, B, C supporting points and so forth. I have Aesop, so I know that it addresses key word outlining, but I use the WTM and I'm wondering if the higher levels of CW will help me to teach traditional outlining. Also, can you tell me does CW ever have the student outline their own ideas and then write from that? Thanks for any answers you can give :)!

Here's their response...

The answers are yes, and yes, and yes.

1. We start with outlining simple stories 3-4th grade

2. We move on to outlining more complicated stories. 5-6th

3. By Diogenes, we use outlines to write about simple ideas 7-8th

4. By Herodotus and Plutarch students are outlining their own ideas for essays 9-10th

5. By the end (Demosthenes) the students outline and write whole research papers 11-12th.

Hope that helps!

I have been following this thread also :). We will be starting CW Aesop in the fall and CW is a program I am particularly interested in starting from the beginning and sticking with it. Thank you to those that posted replies and to the OP for starting the thread. Big thank you to Paige :D for getting the answers from the source :thumbup:.

No problem! I'm equally as curious as you guys. I thought I had it all figured out, but now I'm questioning my decision. The more information the better :). If only I could see the samples of Writing with Skill...

No problem! I'm equally as curious as you guys. I thought I had it all figured out, but now I'm questioning my decision. The more information the better :). If only I could see the samples of Writing with Skill...

We are still a long way away from WWS but Adrian has not been too happy with the short parts of stories in WWE 1. Some of the stories are cut just when you are about to find out what happened and then I am left with trying to hunt down the books that we don't have. He was very disappointed when I told him that Hillyer's, A Child's Geography of the World is out of print. So anyway, with WWE I have decided to just use it with our history and science. I will just use the Strong Fundamentals guide where need be if I feel we have not covered something through CW. This will work better for Adrian as he already likes the TOG book selections. I am not sure how we will use it with science yet though since for Apologia we will be using the notebooks. Anyway, I will then decide if I need to get the WWS guide.

Off topic but I was just looking at your signature and noticed that your 1 year old says uh-oh a lot :lol:. Malcolm says it a lot too, only he says "uh-oh... mess" Then he adds to that "clean" and guess who has to do the cleaning :lol:?

:lol: Yeah it's pretty cute right now, but I'm guessing the day will come when it's not so. My dd was so easy, never climbed, never got into things and had a very healthy fear of dangerous things, not so with my son :glare:.

Thanks, Paige! :) :)

That helps me a lot. I still don't know where I am headed with writing, but that is one more piece of the puzzle.

It just occurred to me that SWB says she does not teach outlining of fiction, and that makes sense to me. I don't remember learning to outline fiction in school, only history and then when preparing my own papers. I actually can't think how it would work to outline stories with I, II, III and A,B,C. I guess Homer does use some nonfiction or essays, though. I need to go look again.

I also can't wait to see WWS. And the creative writing book. I really love SWB's approach and think it is solid, and I have a feeling I'll end up using her materials if they continue to come out in time for us. But CW is very intriguing.

:lol: Yeah it's pretty cute right now, but I'm guessing the day will come when it's not so. My dd was so easy, never climbed, never got into things and had a very healthy fear of dangerous things, not so with my son :glare:.

Your daughter sounds just like Adrian and your son like Malcolm. I tell ya, not a moments rest! He is climbing everywhere and getting into everything. Wait till he starts to hide on you. Cute still works for him though :lol: (most times ;)), even at 28 months.