Menu

Anbody's child going into Chiropractic care??Lots more ??

Hello

Son is seriously considering going into Chirpractic care after wanting to be in communications for a long time. He is concerned that the market for communications degree will not be good by the time he finishes college. He will be a Junior this fall. I told son that he probably will have to do AP courses in order to go into Chiropractic care. His biggest concern though (as well as ours) is that many insurance carriers do not cover Chiropractic care) so will he get many patients?? Or will the market suffer for lack of Chirpractors by the time ds graduates from college?? His other concern is the length of schooling....he really wants to start a family before age 25. He is friends with a girl he is considering. (both her family and ours are keeping an eye on things) Yes I know he is young....He just do not want to start a family at a later age. Both of them want lots of kids and want to stay here in our area. I know very strange....LOL....

We told son that a communication degree can get him anywhere but not maybe directly in communications. Just having it is a big plus!! Also it is 4 years instead of 8 years. LOL

Any thoughts??

Holly

If he plans to stay in your area, the big question I have is how many chiropractors are there already? Can the area support another chiropractor? Where I live, in a city with an abundance of chiropractors, they only seem to do well financially if they are affiliated with a large HMO or if they get a contract to service assisted living facilities. My chiropractor is independent, so no HMO patients, and his office is usually pretty quiet. However, he services assisted living facilities twice a week, and he earns a good living from that. A friend from high school is a chiropractor in a very small town, and he does well, but he didn't when he first started out. He had to get out there in the community, coaching high school sports to supplement his income, and that had the side benefit of helping everyone know him.

I think he should go into a field that is interesting to him and find a way to make that work.

I have needed chiropractors for many years, and have always had it covered by insurance. Lately that would have been covered by Blue Cross Blue Shield and by MetLife. I do not remember what carrier we had prior to that. I think it's become much more common for chiropractic care to be covered.

We have a chiropractic school near our house. Some of the parents of our kids' friends were employees over there. It seems to be keeping its head up over time, and maybe trending towards expanding into more "wellness" services besides just chiro. Anyways, I might call a chiro school and see if they can give you stats on their graduates.

Most of the chiros I have known have had to do a lot of sales. We have a niece who attends fairs and conventions with a chiropractor, and I even met one providing "free massage" at a Girl Scout camp. They always seem to be searching for ways to meet customers. I mean, payment is one thing, but you have to have the customer in your office, first. And your office might not be in a prominent locale.

You might ask your child whether they can handle proactive sales. We've had many extended family members start their own businesses, and salesmanship is key. And I've seen very few chiro. practices that can support multiple full-time docs, so starting his own business might be a serious consideration, at least at some point -- another thing to ask the chiro school about.

Julie

That's weird. Around here we have quite a few chiros who are doing well. But the ones who do well are the ones who went to a good school (Palmer) and have incredibly good people skills. I'm telling you, I think half the chiropractic thing is the talking you do with the people afterward. If he doesn't want to talk with them and have that bedside manner, I'd find another thing that uses his hands (mechanic, whatever).

Deciding your career is hard. What is he good at? Has he thought of doing career testing? I've talked with people who found it helpful. Maybe your community college has a career testing service? Might open up ideas he hasn't thought of.

Hello

Son is seriously considering going into Chirpractic care after wanting to be in communications for a long time. He is concerned that the market for communications degree will not be good by the time he finishes college. He will be a Junior this fall. I told son that he probably will have to do AP courses in order to go into Chiropractic care. His biggest concern though (as well as ours) is that many insurance carriers do not cover Chiropractic care) so will he get many patients?? Or will the market suffer for lack of Chirpractors by the time ds graduates from college?? His other concern is the length of schooling....he really wants to start a family before age 25. He is friends with a girl he is considering. (both her family and ours are keeping an eye on things) Yes I know he is young....He just do not want to start a family at a later age. Both of them want lots of kids and want to stay here in our area. I know very strange....LOL....

We told son that a communication degree can get him anywhere but not maybe directly in communications. Just having it is a big plus!! Also it is 4 years instead of 8 years. LOL

Any thoughts??

Holly

It is my understanding that there is little or no way to get financial aid for this type of schooling. Most students come out with huge loans. I would definitely look into this aspect, especially since he is interested in marrying.

Blessings,

There are too many chiropractors around here. Only a certain number of them are accepted for the HMO. We have a friend who is a chiro. and he is struggling to make ends meet cuz he can't seem to get his foot in the door. Yet, they built a house and would lose out big time if they tried to sell it and move. He hasn't been chosen to any HMO.

My chiro. is a HUGE people person. He also includes massage, acupuncture and nutritional supplements. He doesn't do all that, but it's part of what's in his office area, which helps draw people in. I only do the chiro. part. He chats with the people, remembers their names and "stories" and asks them about things they talked about before. He also has little clinics in the local mall, where they have assistants that have massage chairs and who give massages for free, and offer people an initial visit, x-rays, exam, and consultation for $25!

Another thing he does is accept people even if they can barely pay. He works out financial things with each patient. He is not affiliated with our HMO, but he takes me for our co-pay amount, as if he WAS affiliated! It's cheaper than the regular fee, and keeps me coming back! :)

I do think there are a lot of chiropractors, in certain areas anyway, so he'll have to do a lot of research on what's available where, and what might help his business grow and succeed!

• 4 months later...
Revisiting this post...

He is still consideriing Chiropractic care. We really can't find much information about schooling except it is about 8 years. We can't get information on the best undergraduate degree to get prior to Chiropractic school.

Anybody know?

Holly

Here's the website of the chiropractic school near where I live. I've never been there, but several of my each of my son's friends have parents who work there (not surprising since it's nearby).

http://www.nwhealth.edu/chiropractic-college/

Maybe they have info on admission requirements, etc., or would even answer emails? Or you could search for a similar website for a school near you.

Julie

My chiropractor told me recently that most good chiropractic schools now require a completed BS before admission. Is that part of the 8 years you mentioned? He said a major in the sciences would be most beneficial, as there is a lot of science to be taken in chiropractic school.