Menu

What's the goal of grammar (K-4)

I thought it would be helpful to figure out what the GOAL of grammar is for this stage.

I quote our mistress about how the purpose of the grammar stage is to get a child ready to start Logic Stage via Logic Stage level of 3Rs, plus light a fire of interest in history, science, the arts and music. :)

That said, there are fans of waiting until the Logic stage and teaching it then. For us, it has been an eye opener about language, and not painful at all (I use GWG and some games, e.g. doing adverbs around the house: "I'm prancing DAINTILY" "I'm splashing NOISILY". )

I quote our mistress about how the purpose of the grammar stage is to get a child ready to start Logic Stage

I guess my real question is: what does my DD need to know and be able to do in order to have a smooth transition into logic stage work?

I wish there was some kind of checklist somewhere. Maybe there is somewhere? I've only skimmed the logic stage section of TWTM, so maybe there's something in there.

I'm sure the responses to your question will vary, but for me and my rising 3rd grade the GOAL for learning grammar is to not just know the parts of speech but to recognize these parts of speech in a sentence. For example, when writing a sentence I expect DD~8 to recognize a missing noun or verb. Basic punctuation, etc.

Is there a check list? I don't think so, but you might be able to get an idea of expectation by reviewing major grammar programs to get an idea of what is covered by grade level.

Look at:

A Beka

Rod and Staff

Shurley English

MCT

Hake

For me, the point of studying grammar is not to be able to identify the various elements, but to become a better writer. That is why I alternate my kids between a more traditional "learn the names" type program (FLL 1/2, MCT) and a more applied grammar/writing type program (Killgallon).

I guess my real question is: what does my DD need to know and be able to do in order to have a smooth transition into logic stage work?

I wish there was some kind of checklist somewhere. Maybe there is somewhere? I've only skimmed the logic stage section of TWTM, so maybe there's something in there.

Here is the scope of 4th grade GWG, which I think quite do-able (obviously, or I wouldn't be using it.)

http://www.growingwithgrammar.com/1gwg_Level_4.html

You can look at some level 4 sample pages to see how difficult it is.

I use grammar to teach my son how to craft good sentences. If he can identify the parts of speech in a sentence, then he won't have fragments, he can learn where to place punctuation, and his sentences will make sense. These are all things he'll need to master before hitting the logic stage.

For me, the point of studying grammar is not to be able to identify the various elements, but to become a better writer.

:iagree:

Simply knowing the parts of speech by themselves isn't very useful. However, the parts of speech are a stepping stone to discussions about how to improve writing. It's easier to ask a child to use stronger verbs if the child knows what a verb is. It's easier to discuss subject/verb agreement if a child knows what a singluar noun is. It's easier to explain how to punctuate a sentence correctly if the child understands the grammar behind the punctuation.

An understanding of grammar can also help in reading comprehension of long, complicated (yet well written) sentences.

Edited by Kuovonne

Simply knowing the parts of speech by themselves isn't very useful. However, the parts of speech are a stepping stone to discussions about how to improve writing. It's easier to ask a child to use stronger verbs if the child knows what a verb is. It's easier to discuss subject/verb agreement if a child knows what a singluar noun is. It's easier to explain how to punctuate a sentence correctly if the child understand the grammar behind the punctuation.

An understanding of grammar can also help in reading comprehension of long, complicated (yet well written) sentences.

:iagree:,:iagree:, and yet again :iagree:.

As far as a good checklist, I use the scope and sequence from the Core Knowledge Foundation. I have found it very useful to read through it when I am planning the next year to help me choose curricula, and also about a month before the end of the year to make sure we have covered everything important and that we don't have any major gaps. You can download it for free at:

The Core Knowledge Sequence download

That said, I use Rod and Staff English along with WWE, and that covers my grammar well. We are extremely pleased with those programs.

For me, the point of studying grammar is not to be able to identify the various elements, but to become a better writer. That is why I alternate my kids between a more traditional "learn the names" type program (FLL 1/2, MCT) and a more applied grammar/writing type program (Killgallon).

:iagree:

Simply knowing the parts of speech by themselves isn't very useful. However, the parts of speech are a stepping stone to discussions about how to improve writing. It's easier to ask a child to use stronger verbs if the child knows what a verb is. It's easier to discuss subject/verb agreement if a child knows what a singluar noun is. It's easier to explain how to punctuate a sentence correctly if the child understands the grammar behind the punctuation.

What they said. :)

I can't imagine teaching writing without using correct grammatical terms.