Menu

Father's Day Plans?

Father's Day always seems so under-celebrated that I'm wondering what every one else does.

Does any one do anything special? Traditions? Special plans for the day?

I'm going to bake a chocolate cake and we'll go out to eat brunch since dh is sleeping in.

ETA: lol! We're still in May...my mom is the one that told me it was Father's Day, but still would like to hear other's plans :)

Edited by jadedone80

My boys go to the old car show. It is packed with men, most of them hubby's age (nearly 60) or older, and kiddo has fun "informing" them about rumble seats, etc. Hubby says they all seem "grandchild hungry" and are very nice to him.

My husband isn't a car guy but DS is. I have tried to get them to go but alas have been met with much resistance.

Our Cub Scout Pack traditionally plans our end-of-the-year campout and picnic for Fathers' Day weekend. It is very well attended as it seems to give the families something to do for Fathers' Day without having to put much thought into it!

Guest jab300

My side of the family always has the annual reunion on Father's Day weekend. That way people can keep their calendars clear in advance. The men don't have to cook and get to be first in line for the dinner buffet. :001_smile:

My side of the family always has the annual reunion on Father's Day weekend. That way people can keep their calendars clear in advance. The men don't have to cook and get to be first in line for the dinner buffet. :001_smile:

That's so nice! What a lovely tradition.

I suppose I'd better start giving Father's Day some thought, as the kid is going to be at summer camp on the day. I must remind him to get things taken care of before he leaves for camp, even if it's just a card.

We don't do much for Father's Day, or Mother's Day either. DH will probably take the older two strawberry picking on Father's Day, the tiny one and I will decide if we want to go or not depending on how he slept the night before. Then we'll probably order dinner after going to my in-laws. We'll let DH and his Dad decide what we order, though if it is anything like Mother's Day in the end the small ones will decide and everyone else won't really care.

dh loves to stay home and have a bbq on that day but this year will be different. The Friday before Father's Day is his 50th birthday and I *wanted* to take him to Prince Edward Island but he is saying NO because we're getting our kitchen remodeled, and that, on top of the cost for caring for the barn/house pets, one in college, is what's driving his decision.

I think men are largely under celebrated but it's because that's the way THEY want it! I love to be pampered and spoiled on Mother's Day or my birthday, dh is not that way At All. He would be fine going to work on his 50th and doing nothing else. *I* am not going to allow that!

I still need to do my research but we have a few things we're tossing around right now. A day in VT. Dh LOVES to cook and bake and has wanted to go to the King Arthur shop for awhile now, so we may do that, along with either Ben and Jerry's or another VT attraction. I'd LOVE to go for a hike in VT and pack a picnic and nice bottle of wine. Maybe we'll do a weekend, I don't know yet! The other thing we want to do is try a Zip Line!!! I can NOT believe dh agreed to do this!!! So if we don't do it for his birthday, we may do it for Father's Day. I saw some in the white mountains in NH but I watched a special on tv that had one in MA that went ABOVE the forest line! THAT is the one I want us to do.

So we'll either be at a flour shop in VT or on a zip line above a forest in MA. :lol::lol::lol:

I'd love to have a cookout for him on Father's Day, but our grill is in Wyoming, with no hope of getting it anytime soon. :glare: Maybe I'll get him a cheapie charcoal grill from Walmart and give him his cookout.

I'm planning on DD making a cake for him, and... don't know what else. I'd like to get him a nice gift, just not sure what.