Menu

Rethinking writing for 3rd grade... What am I missing?

jenL

I'm researching curriculum for 3rd grade writing for ds. I thought I had it figured out, but I've been doing some pondering prompted by questions from some moms in the Logic/Middle School forum, and now I'm not so sure. We've been using WWE2, but ds hates it, so I'd prefer to avoid WWE3 even though I do like SWB's methodology and reasons behind that method.

Anyway, in thinking of grammar level writing curriculum, I've come up with the following... what am I missing so I can research all my options? Here's what I have...

Writing Strands

Classical Writing

CLE LA

Write Source

Write Shop (they now have a primary level)

I know there are more, but I can't remember! Please enlighten me, Hive.

Thanks!

I'm researching curriculum for 3rd grade writing for ds. I thought I had it figured out, but I've been doing some pondering prompted by questions from some moms in the Logic/Middle School forum, and now I'm not so sure. We've been using WWE2, but ds hates it, so I'd prefer to avoid WWE3 even though I do like SWB's methodology and reasons behind that method.

Anyway, in thinking of grammar level writing curriculum, I've come up with the following... what am I missing so I can research all my options? Here's what I have...

Writing Strands

Classical Writing

CLE LA

Write Source

Write Shop (they now have a primary level)

I know there are more, but I can't remember! Please enlighten me, Hive.

Thanks!

Writing Tales

We didn't like WWE2 but like WWE3. In level 3 she reads the passages. It takes 15 minutes maximum a day.

Don't forget to have your student write narrations and summaries and friendly letters. The second half of this year I started making an outline for her to use to guide her while writing from STOW. It made a nice improvement.

I also have liked the writing lessons in R&S.

I posted reviews of our language arts materials here on my blog. We adored Michael Clay Thompson books this year (with a 3rd and 1st grader), but I didn't care for the writing assignments. They were too much (too imaginative, open-ended) for us. I often use SWB's methods (we do copy work in our handwriting notebooks, dictation with spelling, and narration for history), but I want just a little more for writing and IEW is perfect for us. There are very concrete, incremental steps for writing, but it gives the kids a little more room to use their own creativity.

I am another former English teacher. I read your other thread with interest. Boy, I could identify with many of the difficulties that you encountered in your classes!

Thank you!

I'm very intrigued with Bravewriter. Much of The Writer's Jungle feels very familiar to this English teacher, but it also incorporates copywork, narration and dictation. I never encountered those techniques as writing exercises in any of my credential courses and have struggled to implement since learning about them in TWTM. WWE1 was a total disaster with my ds. Talk about killing any love of writing! Bravewriter seems like it incorporates some of the best practices of a mainstream writing course (creative prompts, freewrites, writing process, etc.) and some of the techniques associated with classical writing (literary models, copywork/narration/dictation, Socratic discussion, etc.). I don't have firsthand experience with their online classes, but I think that we are going to sign up for one in the fall. There's also much about the Bravewriter lifestyle that I absolutely love. Even if you don't go with the program, there's a lot of inspiration to be found on the website.

Thank you for suggesting this, especially; it sounds as if it may encompass all I'm trying to find. I will be looking into it further.

I listed our LA materials on my blog. I take a hybrid approach. We come at it with different methods and materials. Curriculum link in siggy. :)

Beth,

You have such an interesting list of resources for your 3rd grade daughter! You noted that you "loop" through them. Could you explain how that looks within your homeschool? Do you combine resources to make one lesson a day? Or, do you work with one resource extensively for say 2 wks, move on to another for 2, and so on?

Also, what made you decide to pull from so many sources? When I was in the classroom, I used to do this because I was only focusing on one subject, but with all the subjects to teach and now folding my 4yo into the routine of the day more, I was hoping to avoid all that work. However, I'm starting to wonder if that would be the best road for me to take? I'm finding I'm pretty picky in regard to this subject. :tongue_smilie:

I'm eager to hear more...

Beth,

You have such an interesting list of resources for your 3rd grade daughter! You noted that you "loop" through them. Could you explain how that looks within your homeschool? Do you combine resources to make one lesson a day? Or, do you work with one resource extensively for say 2 wks, move on to another for 2, and so on?

Also, what made you decide to pull from so many sources? When I was in the classroom, I used to do this because I was only focusing on one subject, but with all the subjects to teach and now folding my 4yo into the routine of the day more, I was hoping to avoid all that work. However, I'm starting to wonder if that would be the best road for me to take? I'm finding I'm pretty picky in regard to this subject. :tongue_smilie:

I'm eager to hear more...

Hi Jennifer,

I wish I had a profound reason for using different resources. I simply get bored with the same methods & materials. For instance, I could never teach Shurley grammar day after day after day... I love it -- but there are so many fantastic options to supplement. I appreciate MCT GI but would never do it alone. I find some methods too one-dimensional. We do a mix of Shurley parsing w/ diagramming from the Mark Twain book along w/ 4-level analysis from MCT SI. We do tons of grammar in the context of writing also, of course. They learn grammar memory-work at CC.

In reading, we do WTM methods along w/ CLE Reading for standardized test prep. Dds read lit constantly and we discuss, analyze, repeat. Dd just-turned-8 is reading Anne Of Green Gables this month along w/ Black Beauty -- as well as re-reading the Laura Ingalls Wilder set. She comprehends well -- but a formal reading program is great for asking the questions that wouldn't occur to me to ask.

For writing, my girls adore Andrew Pudewa but I can't do IEW alone. No way. I love SWB's approach but would poke my eyes out if we had to do narrations/dictations days on end. The Kilgallon books are a fun add-on. I love mixing and matching.

Vocab would get monotonous if we didn't keep it fresh w/ a hodge-podge of methods. Same goes for spelling. We do our phonogram review and word lists from SWR along w/ spelling in the context of dd's writing assignments.

Crimson Wife, 8FillsTheHeart -- along with many other moms here -- have introduced me to many of these materials & ideas over the years. I'm so thankful to learn from the best here. I study grammar books and writing curriculum 'for fun' while I'm sitting outside watching my girls play in the backyard. I have so much to learn.

I don't find it more work to take this approach. My dds are never bored and always curious what we're doing for the day (as am I :)). I don't schedule anything, file or get locked into a time-frame. I keep tabs on what my dds need and go from there. I follow their lead and what they need. (I take this approach with math also.)

HTH.

ETA: When I say we 'loop' through our materials, I simply mean we rotate through them on a weekly basis. We read & write daily with elements from that list.

Edited by Beth in SW WA
clarify

The Paragraph Book series from EPS is designed for remedial use in middle school but IMHO makes an excellent writing course for students working at a late elementary level. In particular, I like how step-by-step-by-step it is and how it minimizes physical writing.

Brave Writer is on sale at HSBC until 5/31. I haven't gotten a chance to read very much of it yet, however, so I can't say how helpful it is.

We didn't like WWE2 but like WWE3. In level 3 she reads the passages. It takes 15 minutes maximum a day.

Don't forget to have your student write narrations and summaries and friendly letters. The second half of this year I started making an outline for her to use to guide her while writing from STOW. It made a nice improvement.

I also have liked the writing lessons in R&S.

We have done the above as our entire writing for 3rd.. It has gone well.