Menu

Omnibus & ToG... can I combine the two??

I just got this crazy thought-- IS it possible to combine Omnibus and ToG? Or at least use Omnibus in conjunction w/ ToG somehow??

As a quick note of background-- we've been part of a Tapestry co-op for 2 years now, and next fall we swing back around to Year 1. While I LOVE our co-op and all its benefits, I'm very attracted to Omnibus and think it would be an excellent course of study as well. Without having ever flipped through the text though, I wonder... can I merge the two... or is that simply educational suicide?!

Another thought-- perhaps I could buy the Omnibus text to further educate *myself* and then use what I learn from my personal study in discussions w/ my kids??? (Ages 10 & 13 in the fall).

Any ideas would be lovely-- I NEED to do more work on my own (to learn the material *well* before I encouner it with my kiddos), and I love the idea of having a single primary text to draw from (as opposed to a gazillion resources to gather together). Oh, the choices & the decisions... !

OK-- sorry for the rambling. But please-- DO share! I'd love to hear your thoughts :)

You could certainly use Omnibus for self-education, and it would likely be quite helpful in guiding you in regard to discussions with the children. ToG also has excellent teaching notes for the parent that would help you guide discussions. I personally think trying to coordinate ToG and Omnibus would be waaaay too much for you and for them.

I have Omnibus I. I didn't use it as a spine this year. However, I did use it for specific lessons. When we got to Hammurabi, we used the section on Hammurabi's Code and Moses. Just one example.

Amazon has a huge sample of the text. You should spend some time with it.

Karenciavo did this one year. If you do a search you can find what she has posted about it. Bottom line is I think she said it was too much, and no longer necessary since TOG redesign of the literature.

Karenciavo did this one year. If you do a search you can find what she has posted about it. Bottom line is I think she said it was too much, and no longer necessary since TOG redesign of the literature.

:iagree:

The teaching notes and literature portions of TOG redesign are outstanding. Using Omnibus for lit analysis of some of the books would be easy enough. (I have done that.) In my earlier post, I was referencing full implementation of both programs, which would likely be onerous to say the least.

I did it because omnibus history is light IMHO and at the time I wasn't happy with TOG's rhetoric literature (classic edition). My ds did not read any of the books scheduled in Omnibus I that did not deal with ancient history - no Sproul or Narnia (he read these the year before while we studied TOG year 4) - and he only did the history, church history, geography, and some of the government of TOG. We did use Redesign for history that year, the reason why I stuck with Omnibus is because I fell in love with it. We went back to TOG only the next year. My son did rhetoric level of TOG beginning in 8th grade.