Menu

Home finance software?

I have two resources I like.

Mishell's My Budget Calender is excellent is you don't get spreadsheets. It puts entries on a calender grid and I found it led me to understand budgets and spreadsheets in a way I didn't before. I also found it handy for knowing when bill payments were due and such. It's small, easy to use and only $20. It's availible for Win, Mac and Linux.

The other resource I've found to be invaluable is Gail Vaz-Oxlade's site.If you've never heard of her she's a Canadian who hosts a couple of shows on getting people out of debt. She's self taught and no-nonsense. Her blog has great tips and the resource section has an excellent worksheet where you can enter your expenses and income and come out with a weekly budget suitable for an envelope system or her jar method (which also uses a budget binder to record purchases).

I really love Gail's advice because there's nothing to buy, no workbooks or seminars, no branded accsories. It's just common sense and straighforward and you can do all of what she advises for free with a few Mason jars (I'n recycling Cheez Whiz and jam jars :)) and the free resources on her site. You can get a taste of her style from her shows 'Till Debt Do Us Part and Princess.

YNAB rocks. I have tried other things, but this is the first program I have been successful with. They have a free trial, totally worth it. Unlike Envelopes (Crown's online program), it is a one-time purchase and does not require an annual renewal fee. Updates are free with YNAB, so it is never outdated either. :001_smile: