Menu

Toddler books

My little guy turned one two weeks ago, and he's starting to get to the point where he is bringing me the books he wants me to read and has the patience to sit for books with more than three or four words per page. We haven't bought many books since we received a lot as gifts, but we ended up with a lot of Elmo and Arthur type books, and I'm very much over them at this point. I'm hoping to find books with richer language and better illustrations.

The catch is that he's still a one year old little boy, so they do have to be pretty short. He loves to turn pages, but he's not 100% at being careful about it. That makes board books a huge plus.

The Hive is the first thing to come to mind for everything book related, so I hope you can help me fill up my Amazon wishlist. :)

Related mini vent - In one of his Arthur books, Francine gives Arthur a spin the bottle game for his birthday. Really? Is that necessary in a toddler board book? End vent.

Thank you for any suggestions!

Some of our favorites have been:

Big Red Barn

Most Eric Carle

Most Sandra Boynton

Curious George

The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry, and The Big Hungry Bear

The Napping House

Paddington Bear

Beatrix Potter

Most of these can be found in board book format.

A couple of my favorite resources for children's books: The Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease and Honey for a Child's Heart by Gladys Hunt. I brought those with me every trip to the library.

Jez Alborough is one of my favorite new children's authors. Duck in a Truck, Fix it Duck and The Gobble Gobble Moo Tractor book are a hoot.

ETA:

Oh, and the Napping House above reminded me ... we just love Audrey and Don Wood. King Bidgood's in the Bathtub is fabulous - the illustrations are out of this world

Not all books for this age need to be "stories." They also do well with interactive type books - touchy-feely is good for sensory integration. Lift the flap books keep their fingers busy. Easy search books (things to spot) are good for visual discrimination.

ETA: Oh, I just noticed he just turned one - I read it that he was 2. Well, if he is sitting for books, these are still some great suggestions. PM me for more for that age.

Edited by dirty ethel rackham

My little boy just turned two, but these have been some of his favorite board books for a while:

- All of Byron Barton's vehicle books (Planes, Trains, Trucks, Machines at Work)

- Freight Train, Donald Crews

- Chugga Chugga Choo Choo, Kevin Lewis

A previous poster listed one of the Dorling Kindersley Peekaboo books (Baby Faces, I think), but I would recommend the whole series: Baby Loves Peekaboo, Bedtime Peekaboo, Rainbow Peekaboo, etc. My son loved them so much that I bought them all. He loves the pictures of the babies, opening the flaps, and feeling the different textures.

In general, I have liked a lot of the Dorling Kindersley board books, and I pick them up at used book sales if I see them. Rachael Hale's Baby Giggles and Baby Colors are also favorites, and we enjoy many of the Dr. Seuss board books. Like previous posters have mentioned, he also loves Curious George and Sandra Boynton.

Oh, where to begin?!?

Karma Wilson's books about Bear ... Bear Snores On, Bear Wants More, Bear's New Friend, etc.

Jeremy London's Froggy books ... Froggy Gets Dressed, Froggy's Day Out, etc.

Brush Mona Lisa's Hair (and other books in the series)

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

Silly Sally by Audrey Wood

Color Dance by Ann Jonas

Night in the Country by Cynthia Rylant

Piglet & Mama by Margaret Wild

If you give a mouse a cookie by L. Numeroff

And some books to grow into:

Caps for Sale

Toot & Puddle Series by Holly Hobbie

You can do it Sam! (and other books in the series) by Amy Hest (and also her Duck series)

Duck & Goose Series by Tad Hills

And as others have said ... Jessie Bear books, Sandra Boynton books, & Curious George books.

oh and I completely agree with the Spin the bottle reference in Arthur. What's up with that?!?!

Edited by domestic_engineer

Peek-A-Who has been a perennial favorite for over a year now. From shortly before DS first birthday to now. I may get a new copy to have on hand for the new baby.

The other big hit with him has been any book that is touch and feel. He loves those! The DK and Usborne ones are great.

Any illustrated book of short nursery rhymes, he loves Humpty Dumpty and Ring Around the Rosie. There's a cute book by Rosemary Wells that is just Twinkle Twinkle Little Star that he really liked.

One book that he absolutely adores that is not a board book is A Book of Sleep by Il Sung Na. He's kissed it, tried to take it to bed with him, and just is in love with the "owl book". I don't get it myself, the illustrations seem weird to me, but it's definitely the book he has the most emotional attachment to. I get it at the library for now, but I really should buy it...

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Book-Sleep-Sung-Na/dp/0375862234/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305576852&sr=8-1

• 13 years later...

I have a great book that my kids adores, Its helps managing emotions, it's  called "Emotions at the party" on amazon,  The book explores a wide range of emotions through simple, easy-to-understand phrases. Its helps toddlers identify and understand what they’re feeling. Plus, it offers practical tips for managing these emotions, like taking deep breaths to calm down when angry. Making it easier to discuss emotions in a fun and approachable way. Highly recommended!