Menu

Ds (11) likes to read textbooks and encyclopedias.

I like the Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia, if you have done that one.

We also have:

Kingfisher Animal Encyclopedia

smithsonian Earth

A few of these DK Definitive Guides. I own the History one and checked out a few more from the library. The pictures are stunning. The text is more dense, but they are simply beautiful.

My older son (13) does the same thing. It used to bother me that he preferred non-fiction to fiction until I heard MCT's talk at convention this spring. (MCT said that kiddos need to read lots and lots of non-fiction to help with "academic, formal writing"). Now I realize what such reading is doing for him.

My son's favorite set to read (and one that I highly recommend) is the National Audubon Society's field guide set. He has read most of these umpteen times. I tend to buy him a new one each year, but I think we now own most of them and have run out of choices. They are (of course) full of pictures at the front, but then they have very dense, informative text at the back.

Does your son have a hobby? My son loves baseball so he has read gargantuan baseball encyclopedias umpteen times. He just got a new one yesterday to celebrate the end of school! Plus he loves astronomy and meteorology so we have purchased many large, meaty books on these subjects.

These are just a couple of ideas beyond the textbooks, Eyewitness, Kingfisher, Usborne route (which ds has read, too).

HTH!

Jetta

My older son (13) does the same thing. It used to bother me that he preferred non-fiction to fiction until I heard MCT's talk at convention this spring. (MCT said that kiddos need to read lots and lots of non-fiction to help with "academic, formal writing"). Now I realize what such reading is doing for him.
That is so good to hear! My son has never picked up a fiction book to read, but he reads non-fiction with a passion. (He does read fiction aloud at bedtime to his dad.)

Right now he is reading a golf book and the dictionary. Last week he was into reading first aid books.

If he is interested in science, I picked up a set of "Encyclopedia of Technology and Applied Sciences" at a library's used book sale. I don't know how easy/hard they are to come by, but my son enjoys our set. (Bought for $1. Paid $15 to have them shipped home since I bought them on vacation.)