Menu

American Girl store in Atlanta - is it worth the trip?

My DD8 loves American Girl dolls. I was thinking of taking her to Atlanta, GA on Sunday which would be a 4 hour drive one-way for us. Her American Girl doll is Julie and the store is having. Few Julie events. Has anyone been? Is it worth it? Is there anything else to do while there foe a day?

We went to the Atlanta location last year. We didn't go too much out of our way in that we were already traveling to NC. My older dd was really passing out of the Am. Girl phase as she was getting older. She had always wanted to go and felt sure that her chance had passed. We surprised them both with the news. They had a great time! It was well worth it for us. They did not have any events going on, but we stayed for lunch in the cafe and visited the store. I was pleasantly surprised at the lunch at the cafe (so was dh) because we expected the food to be pricey and average in taste and selection. The food was excellent with generous portions and some great choices and the prices weren't too bad. Maybe it helped going in being prepared for the worst...:lol: Dh let each girl pick something (reasonable) from the store and we took pictures. They had a lot of fun. If you do decide to go and try the cafe, be sure to let your dd bring her doll. They have special chairs and really cute menus for the dolls to sit at the table with you. My girls kept their menus and used them at home.

I've been to the AG store in Chicago (we're about 3 hours from Chicago), but not Atlanta. I'd say that if you plan to spend a lot of money, it would be worth it! LOL The stores have a restaurant, beauty parlor, doll hospital, boutique, and the one in Chicago has two floors of dolls, clothes, and all that goes with them.

That said, I took dd there for her 13th birthday and she LOVED it. We only bought a few accessories for her doll and she is dying to go back.

LOL, I had the same question last month, only it's a 3 hour drive for us:)

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263078

My MIL actually enjoyed visiting while driving so that was fun. We took DD's friend with us and we all loved looking at the cute things! DD got Kaya for her birthday while we were there. She's already planning a trip for next year! lol! We ate at a Golden Corral nearby, but the AG restaurant looked like fun. It's not a large store by any means, but we enjoyed it. I'm not sure about a 4 hour drive! I thought our drive was a lot!

Not sure which direction you'll be driving from, but thought it might help to know that they are opening a new AG store at Tysons Corner Shopping Center in Northern Virginia this June.

Thanks for the info! I'll look into that and see if it's closer.

Just googled and it's 6 hours 45 minutes compared to the 4 hour and 30 minute trip to Atlanta. Thinking I should make a weekend trip out of this and find other things to do as well.

Edited by parias1126

We drove from Oklahoma City to Dallas, TX last week and took our dd8 and dd5. They LOVED it and to be honest, so did my husband and I. You just can't imagine what it is like until you walk in there. The little girl in me went wild! It is VERY expensive, but my girls had been saving money to buy their dolls for about 6 months so hubby and I threw in a couple of accessories. If you go, make sure you take your camera!