Menu

Which KitchenAid Stand Mixer?

A few months ago I have decided to start a little challenge for myself. Earn enough money from surveys, Swagbucks, yard sales etc. to purchase a stand mixer.

And I did! :D

Now, on Amazon I see lots of different choices - Classic, Artisan, Professional, Ultra Power. And there's significant difference in price.

So, tell me which one do you have and if you're happy with it or not.

Thanks, Hive! :001_smile:

My classic has been perfect for us for the 20+ years I've had it. It is great for things like mashed potatoes, cookies, cakes, etc.

I bought my professional a couple years ago when I started to make bread. It handles 3 loaves perfectly for us, and does a great double batch of pizza crust. It is too big for things like a single cake mix, single cookie batch, etc.

I like having both for both reasons. If I didn't bake bread or have need for all that heavy power, the classic would be enough for us. However, if you have a bunch of kids and frequently make huge amts., it may not be your best option.

We have the professional (I believe). DH wanted a heavy duty mixer since we use it to make break, grind meat, make pasta, etc...if we were just using it for basic cookies/cakes and nothing fancy, we would have a less expensive one. Lol...DH wanted the higher horsepower. :)

what will you mainly be using it for? If you want something for bread and/or cookies with heavier dough, I'd recommend a Bosch. MUCH more heavy duty. I only use my Kitchen Aid for lighter mixing like mashed potatoes, cake mixes, etc. I forget which KA model I have but I can tell you that many people who buy Bosch have already burnt out a KA and are looking for a more heavy duty machine.

Denise and Tamara, I'd love to get Bosch, but the price tag - :svengo:

That would be a lot of saving to do.

Is it really THAT great? Is it worth $500?

I cook and bake every day, but not in huge quantities. For bread I either use the ABi5 recipe or the dough cycle on my bread maker. It's not a big deal. I don't have a lot of counter space.

Decisions... Decisions... :willy_nilly:

Wow! I bought mine YEARS ago for $350, I believe. I would definitely say that the Bosch is more for your money, but it's a real heavy duty workhorse. Keep that in mind. I think it has a chainsaw motor but am not positive.

When I was researching the Bosch's I found that there was a large customer base that had burnt out their Kitchen Aids so they went with a heavier duty machine - the Bosch.

If you limit your dough size, don't mix heavy/thick items, etc. you should be fine. Like I said earlier, I use my KA for lighter mixing and use the Bosch for heavy duty mixing. How much are the KA's you're looking for?

I have the kitchen aid professional, I think. I'ts the one with a bigger bowl, and the lever for the bowl to go up and down. I LOVE it. I honestly cannot imagine what would burn it out? I use my bread machine for dough. I guess a BIG batch of stuff might, but we are a family of 4, and the kids are girls, so we're not big eaters. I bougth it cuz I had saved up enought money for the regular one, but with combined coupons and a sale, I could get the bigger one. I sorta figured, I could use it to make less, but can't use the little one to make more. And now, I'm glad I've got it, cuz I do a lot of OAMC type of things.

have fun!

You can get a Bosch for $429 and on this site there's free cookie paddles and shipping:

http://www.fykitchen.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=1396

I notice they just redesigned the Universal. I'll bet you can find the older model (that's what I have) for a STEAL as people are wanting to get rid of them to stock up on the new model.

I'll look a little more!

I agree with those that recommended a bosch. I had a bosch, then stopped making bread and sold it. I then bought a Kitchenaid Pro 5 plus, and within a year sold it to buy a new Bosch. I LOVE my Bosch even if I only use it for cookies/cakes and the occasional pizza crust dough or rolls. I got the one that came with the blender attachment and it's by far the BEST blender I've ever owned, I think only a Vitamix could top it. I plan to get the slicer/shredder attachment next christmas.

If you're willing to take a returned model check with http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com They won't list them on their clearance/ mark down page, but if you call or email they'll let you know if they have them. I got mine for about $400 with the blender because it was one somebody used twice and returned it. I've had no issues with it and PHG gives you the same warranty that would come with a new if it's like mine and was just a customer return because they changed their mind.

I've had an ultra power KA since 2000 (when I got married) and it's been fine for our level of use (mostly cookies/cakes, sometimes bread but only 2 loaves at a time.) We're not industrial strength bakers. I love my KA...my MIL has had a classic model for nearly 20 years and it is still going strong.

You can get a Bosch for $429 and on this site there's free cookie paddles and shipping:

http://www.fykitchen.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=1396

I notice they just redesigned the Universal. I'll bet you can find the older model (that's what I have) for a STEAL as people are wanting to get rid of them to stock up on the new model.

I'll look a little more!

Oh wow - I've never seen this before. Does this take up less countertop space than the KA? It definitely looks much shorter. :)

Oh wow - I've never seen this before. Does this take up less countertop space than the KA? It definitely looks much shorter. :)

The foot print on the counter is probably close, but the height is much shorter. No worries about sliding it back under and upper cabinet.

I had the classic and after 10 years it broke. I've had the artisian for a few years now and I love it. I debated getting the professional but I don't like how tall it is, the pro machine wouldn't fit under my kitchen cabinet.

You can find great deals on Kitchenaids at =9&search=kitchenaid&mode=forum&showposts=0&sdsearch_archive=0&firstpost=1"]Slickdeals.net. The deals pop up about every week. You can sign up for an alert to your email. Right now there's a deal for a Pro on Amazon for just $184 or a classic at Lowe's for $139.

I have the Artisian and really wish I had purchased the professional. You can always put less in the bowl, but you can't put in more if the machine is too small.

:iagree: I can do *almost* two batches of cookies in mine...the dough rides up into the thing that turns the paddle. I totally wish I'd gotten the bigger one (and I asked the very same question you're asking on here).

All of these suggestions are good. Since I don't have one' date=' my answer was going to be "the red one". :D[/quote']:lol:

How much are the KA's you're looking for?
$200 (which I have) on Amazon for Classic. The red one. :tongue_smilie:

Denise, thanks for the suggestion on searching for previous model Bosch.

nukeswife, I'll try that, thank you!

I feel that the first thing my husband will hear when he comes home from work will be "We need to talk". ;)