Menu

More than one book/read aloud at a time?

I usually have both a history-related book and something fun, and DH reads to the boys at night. We've operated this way since they were little. They seem to keep everything straight - they can give a recap in response to "Where were we?" - and I notice that both now have two independent readers going.

Edited by linders

We did a large part of Ambleside one year and that involved many read alouds at once- we never got them muddled- but my kids were older.

I dont think it matters, to tell the truth. Supposedly it can be really good for them to learn to keep up with several at once, but some years we did, some years we didnt.

We have 3-4 read-alouds going at a time. Well, a read-aloud and 2-3 read-withs. I have a general read-aloud that I read during lunch and at bedtime to all the boys. Then I read out loud with each boy, taking turns reading chapters or paragraphs. Right now, our read-alouds are The Sword in the Stone (all), The House at Pooh Corner (ds6), The Treasure at Green Knowe (ds8). Ds10 and I have been focusing on other areas, so no read-aloud with him.

No one ever gets the stories mixed up. :)

Cat

Edited by myfunnybunch