Menu

Young People's History of the United States

Embassy

We used it to supplement SOTW 3 & 4, alongside the Children's Encyclopedia of US History. Dd enjoyed it. I love it, but then, I love Zinn and the original version of the book.

I don't know how well it would work solo as an overview, simply because it does assume some base knowledge of the typical American narrative, but I think it would be more than adequate alongside something like the encyclopedia I mentioned above.

We used it to supplement SOTW 3 & 4, alongside the Children's Encyclopedia of US History. Dd enjoyed it. I love it, but then, I love Zinn and the original version of the book.

I don't know how well it would work solo as an overview, simply because it does assume some base knowledge of the typical American narrative, but I think it would be more than adequate alongside something like the encyclopedia I mentioned above.

Good idea. Thanks for your advice.

I started reading it with my daughter. She loves when I read it to her, it's started many discussions.

I also think it is more suitable as a supplement rather than a stand-alone.

I hadn't considered using it with so young a child. Is it going well? I think the reading level is middle-schoolish (to read on their own), is that right?

You're right, I wouldn't consider a book like this for a 6 year old - it's more suitable for middle school. I always think of my daughter as being older than 6 though, as she's more mature for her age and can handle things I normally wouldn't consider for a young one.

I started reading the first chapter aloud to her one night and she totally gobbled it up. She wrote several stories based on what she learned. I don't intend to have this be a core part of our history studies quite yet, but it's been very interesting to dig in a little bit. Being Native American, I wanted to be sure she was aware there was another side to the more popular stories.

I love Zinn, but I still wouldn't use it as a stand alone because it does so strongly represent a certain viewpoint. One that needs to be represented and more often, but still. Pairing it with a more traditional text seems like a good idea to me. But I do think it could be one of a couple of centerpieces to a curriculum for upper elementary school or middle school.

Edited by farrarwilliams

I can find a Children's Encylopedia of American History, but not U.S. History. Who is the author/publisher?

***I'm taking notes for when my girls are older.***:D

I can find a Children's Encylopedia of American History, but not U.S. History. Who is the author/publisher?

***I'm taking notes for when my girls are older.***:D

Ah, well, that could be it. It's currently packed and I can never remember which it is-- US v American. It's the DK book.

I love Zinn, but I still wouldn't use it as a stand alone because it does so strongly represent a certain viewpoint. One that needs to be represented and more often, but still. Pairing it with a more traditional text seems like a good idea to me. But I do think it could be one of a couple of centerpieces to a curriculum for upper elementary school or middle school.

Could you enlighten me here? It was my impression that the Young People's History of the United States told the cold hard facts rather than the romanticized version of history found in typical textbooks. What is the viewpoint you are referring to?

Could you enlighten me here? It was my impression that the Young People's History of the United States told the cold hard facts rather than the romanticized version of history found in typical textbooks. What is the viewpoint you are referring to?

:iagree: And signing on because I checked it out of the library last week to see if ds can handle it along side SOTW next year. I love Zinn. I'm glad to hear Satori can handle it as a read aloud.