Menu

BA/BS through online college?

DH thinks he'll need a bachelor's degree to move up in the company. Is anyone currently going to school online? Does anyone have any information on which online colleges have the best reputation?

He's interested in either a business degree or liberal arts degree (general liberal studies, history or English).

I doing my bachelors at American Public University. It's all online. I spent about 6 months researching my options. It is regionally accredited, which is actually more respected than any national accreditation. I've been very pleased. Cost is reasonable. My husband attends Capella University, for their masters program, also all online. Very pricey but his employer is paying for his degree. I strongly recommend going slow, especially the first term or two, to get used to the addition of schoolwork to one's schedule.

I got my BS in psych from Liberty University and I am now getting my Master's degree through them also. They are one of the cheapest distance learning colleges out there. Yes, they are a Christian university but that is not a requirement to attend. In fact many of the people in my classes were not Christians or are from other faiths.

I would NOT attend any of the "popular" colleges you see in commercials. Their classes are just a bunch of fluff; and some employers (my husband's inparticular) have said that the degree isn't worth the paper it's written on. Most of these colleges are very high priced also.

My classes are in 8wk subterms, which means I can take up to 6 classes per semester (3 classes per 8 wks). I usually only take 2 classes per 8 wk subterm. I got my bachelor's done in 4yrs and should have my master's done in 3yrs. They also accept life credits, which means work and life experience can get you credits towards your degree.

I would NOT attend any of the "popular" colleges you see in commercials. Their classes are just a bunch of fluff; and some employers (my husband's inparticular) have said that the degree isn't worth the paper it's written on. Most of these colleges are very high priced also.

Not always true. My husband's school (Capella) advertises quite a bit. Trust me, the courses are rigorous. They are one of the few school's his company was willing to pay for him to attend. They are pricey but their degree, at least in his area, is reputable. They are regionally accredited.

There are also traditional brick-and-mortar schools offering degrees entirely online, far too many to list. I can't remember how I was finding them, though. I'll come back and add it, or PM you, if I can remember!

Check some colleges' websites and look for E-Learning or Distance Learning links.

Well, I can't find the site I was looking for, but searching Google for "colleges with distance programs" brings up some schools.

University of Florida

University of Michigan

Western Carolina University

Texas Tech

North Carolina State

University of Kentucky

Washington State

UT Austin

NSU of Louisiana

Troy University

I really wish I could find that site ... you could search by major and specify that it be an online program.

This is not the site I was originally thinking of, but it's similar. eLearners.com Online Degrees

Edited by SunD

This is great! Thanks for all the leads! I'll check them out today.

Has anyone heard of/ used Western Governors University? It's gotten some good press and is regionally accredited, but I'm still worried about the perception that it's a diploma mill (it's not).

Any ideas how I can figure out how HR people perceive different programs? Any former HR people care to enlighten me?

If he stays with his current employer (county government) it should be fine. But what if decides to switch jobs in the future?

DH thinks he'll need a bachelor's degree to move up in the company. Is anyone currently going to school online? Does anyone have any information on which online colleges have the best reputation?

He's interested in either a business degree or liberal arts degree (general liberal studies, history or English).

I work as an adjunct for a state college that does at least half of its courses online. Students can take face-to-face classes at small local campuses throughout the state, but many do their four-degree degree completely online. IMO, it is much better, and usually cheaper, to go through a state college than through a for-profit college. I recommend you check out what your state colleges offer!

Here is a documentary about online colleges from Frontline on PBS. If I remember correctly, it is only an hour long. It raises the good, the bad, and the ugly about this growing segment of education.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/collegeinc/view/

Good luck at making the choices that are best for your family.

I've watched part of that a few months ago. Thanks for reminding me about it. I need to finish it.

WGU (the school we're looking into at the moment) is non-profit but is totally online. It uses a cool "competency based" model (not to be confused with "credit for life experience" or "portfolio reviews" - it's not that at all). This model really appeals to the homeschooler in me. Here's an article I read at the LA Times about it.

However, I'm still not sure where he'll end up at. He wants a legitimate, reputable program that won't take forever to complete (he's 45). Ideally he'd like to complete his degree in 18 mo. That's do-able at WGU for sure. But, I still want to make sure we've explored ALL our options before deciding.

Anyway, thanks for all the input so far. Y'all are so generous with your opinions and advice. Please keep it coming!

There are also traditional brick-and-mortar schools offering degrees entirely online, far too many to list. I can't remember how I was finding them, though. I'll come back and add it, or PM you, if I can remember!

Check some colleges' websites and look for E-Learning or Distance Learning links.

Well, I can't find the site I was looking for, but searching Google for "colleges with distance programs" brings up some schools.

University of Florida

University of Michigan

Western Carolina University

Texas Tech

North Carolina State

University of Kentucky

Washington State

UT Austin

NSU of Louisiana

Troy University

I really wish I could find that site ... you could search by major and specify that it be an online program.

This is not the site I was originally thinking of, but it's similar. eLearners.com Online Degrees

Liberty University is a brick and mortar school

We've officially picked a school (drumroll.... dddddddddddddddd) Western Governors University. Yes, shocking, I know. ;)

This article sold me. If state governments are officially endorsing it in this manner, that says A LOT.

I'm so excited for him, I'm about to burst. Oh, and I filled out our FAFSA and it looks like he qualifies for the full PELL Grant. Woot! Finally, some advantages to being low-income!

He's applying today as soon as we get our referral code (waives the application fee). He's hoping to start in July, but that depends on how fast his transcripts get there and the admin stuff gets done.

Regardless.... :party: Yay DH!!!! This opportunity is a dream come true for him.

We've officially picked a school (drumroll.... dddddddddddddddd) Western Governors University. Yes, shocking, I know. ;)

This article sold me. If state governments are officially endorsing it in this manner, that says A LOT.

I'm so excited for him, I'm about to burst. Oh, and I filled out our FAFSA and it looks like he qualifies for the full PELL Grant. Woot! Finally, some advantages to being low-income!

He's applying today as soon as we get our referral code (waives the application fee). He's hoping to start in July, but that depends on how fast his transcripts get there and the admin stuff gets done.

Regardless.... :party: Yay DH!!!! This opportunity is a dream come true for him.

Great for you!!! I got a full Pell Grant and a FSEOG also when I was getting my BS in psych. Unfortunately, you can't get grants to do your master's so I am having to take out student loans. YUCK!!! But, I will be doing something that I love and I am wiling to get the education to do that and pay the price.

• 4 weeks later...

My daughter and I both use WGU. If you haven't already done the application, I can give you the information so you don't have to pay the fee. :)

There are some awesome things about WGU even though I'm not going to end up getting my degree extra fast though it was nice to have the option to do so (life has so gotten in the way). It is WONDERFUL that the tuition is pretty low. And it covers most books also. Then add that you can take 12 or 52 or 82 credits, whatever works for you in a term. You start with 12 and just add til your term is done (also, 6month terms make it easier to go your own pace though *I* would do better with 2 month terms that forced me to get down to business).

I only wish WGU had advertised (and I had noticed it) years ago. I started in Sept 2008 (I also wish I had waited until Oct 2008 so I would have transferred in credits).

My daughter and I both use WGU. If you haven't already done the application, I can give you the information so you don't have to pay the fee. :)

There are some awesome things about WGU even though I'm not going to end up getting my degree extra fast though it was nice to have the option to do so (life has so gotten in the way). It is WONDERFUL that the tuition is pretty low. And it covers most books also. Then add that you can take 12 or 52 or 82 credits, whatever works for you in a term. You start with 12 and just add til your term is done (also, 6month terms make it easier to go your own pace though *I* would do better with 2 month terms that forced me to get down to business).

I only wish WGU had advertised (and I had noticed it) years ago. I started in Sept 2008 (I also wish I had waited until Oct 2008 so I would have transferred in credits).

It's always reassuring to hear from happy WGU students :) What degree program are you in?

DH is all set to start July 1 in the Business Management program, assuming the financial aid office gets the FA verification finished.

Finally being po' has its advantages. We qualified for the full Pell

:party:

But for now... we wait... :toetap05: :toetap05: