Menu

Ukulele anyone?

When my DD wanted to start guitar 2 yrs ago I debated about getting her a ukulele because it was smaller and easier to learn with the 4 strings.

But my DH wanted her to learn on a guitar so we went with that.

She and my oldest son both play guitar now (classical and electric) but I still think a ukulele would be fun.

We went to a ukulele tutorial and short concert last night at the local music store and there were kids of all ages from 4-teens and adults there playing. It was fun. Apparently, it's the new "rage" now with teens because it's easy to learn and can fit in backpacks so it can be taken anywhere. The music store was actually almost sold out of ukuleles of all kinds and can't keep them in stock!

So anyway, I'm really thinking about getting one, not only for the kids, but me too! I always wanted to play the guitar but I think this would be easier to learn.

Just wondering if you had any tips about buying or learning. I don't want to go with the cheapest one, but rather get a mid-high quality one that sounds nice but is under $100.

Thanks!

We gave our oldest son one for Christmas. Several of his friends have Ukulele as well. It was around $125, it came with a case. It has been a lot of fun and not very hard. He has watched some tutorials on You Tube and our piano teacher has helped him with some songs. He will be playing it and singing, It's A Wonderful World with his sister at the next recital.

I had to get a toy one for my youngest dd so she could have one to play with as well. We can even tune the toy one pretty well.

My dd just got one this week for her 16th b-day. She really, really, wanted one! Luckily there is a fantastic store here in Rochester that knows about ukes -- and my dh plays guitar -- so they were able to steer us in a good direction.

She has never really played guitar before (all my kids play piano & read music well, though), and in three days she has taught herself I'm Yours by Jason Mraz, and A Duet with Myself... from Charlieissocoollike...... she's doing really well!

We got a book called the Daily Uke.... it's great and has lots of songs we all know.

My husband likes the one we got because it has good knobs for tuning... they are mechanical, not just a carved bit of wood ---- look for that or your uke will not stay in tune unless it is a very good one.

HTH --- scribbling frantically b/c we need to get out the door. :)

• 1 month later...