Menu

Science for precocious preschooler

We'll be doing the experiments from Sid the Science Kid (PBS show). They have all the experiments/activities to go along with the episodes, and they encourage using a science journal (notebook) and drawing observations.

http://www.pbs.org/parents/sid/activitiesIndex.html

OMG, this looks AMAZING. He'd love this!! Thanks for posting.

He is just very curious and I just wanted something about, well, everything!!

OMG, this looks AMAZING. He'd love this!! Thanks for posting.

He is just very curious and I just wanted something about, well, everything!!

Find the teachers area. TONS of resources for different grades!

Thanks for posting that link (to mama who did). Great stuff! :)

Has he found the Magic School Bus yet? The books are a little annoying for reading aloud, but the videos are fun, and there are a lot of tie-in experiments that come from them.

Also, you might want to see if there are any group classes in your area. We found a program called "Mad Science" that does an every-other week class that does a lot of the hands-on, messy stuff. Usually that "primes the pump" for DD to explore on her own and read a bunch of books for a couple of weeks, and it takes some of the load off me. It's age grouped, but over a several year range, and we've been able to manage it simply by moving DD up a little early so she's always at the young end of her age group.

Have you seen Mudpies to Magnets by Elizabeth Sherwood? It is not scripted, but they give you vocabulary to use when explaining things. With my youngest, we have gone through page by page, so I still know what I need to prepare for next.

Have you seen Mudpies to Magnets by Elizabeth Sherwood? It is not scripted, but they give you vocabulary to use when explaining things. With my youngest, we have gone through page by page, so I still know what I need to prepare for next.

:iagree::iagree:

My 4 year old asks for "messy projects" which is typically a mudpies project at our house, or some kind of art. That, and More Mudpies to Magnets are both great.

Since Monkey (4.5) is working on a K/1 level across the board (except for handwriting), we're doing the 1st grade biology stuff suggested in TWTM, so we're studying animals. Specifically, we're studying birds, because that's what Monkey wants to know about, and we're having a blast at it. We even did an owl pellet dissection the other day.

I started Sonlight Science K when my big girl was about 3.75 and it led to a huge Chemistry interest...now we are in Noeo Chemistry 1.

Also lots of Magic School Bus books and Let's Read and Find Out about Science books and Cat in the Hat Learning Library books. She also likes watching Sid the Science Kid and various National Geographic shows.

He's a preschooler already? I keep thinking he must be a toddler by now.:) Now I'm trying to picture your twins. Are they 9 or 10???

Hahah, yes, he is 3 1/2 and his sister is almost 1 and trying to start walking on her own. Silla and Deema turned 10 and had a fashion show today so welcome to teenagehood!!!

How old is your boy now? Time flies!

Hahah, yes, he is 3 1/2 and his sister is almost 1 and trying to start walking on her own. Silla and Deema turned 10 and had a fashion show today so welcome to teenagehood!!!

How old is your boy now? Time flies!

He'll be 11 later this spring. The girls are 13 & 16.