Menu

Civil rights movies appropriate for 8-10yo?

Corrina, Corrina doesn't address anything directly, but it would be an excellent starting point for discussions. There are a lot of "why"s to talk about, and "how things were" in general. There are lots of little details to notice.

It's been a while since I saw Ruby Bridges, but I don't *remember* anything objectionable. What else might be good? TIA!

Remember the Titans (though the story was fictionalized to make some of the characters more archtypal). I think this does a good job of showing the general attitudes that people were dealing with. And I think that it portrays both sides as both less than the should have been and more than was expected - sometimes from the same person at different times.

(NB: There is a lot of dissent online about how much this depicts what really happened at that school that year. So you might want to portray it as a story about what it was like in that era, rather than as a historical movie.

And if it is about civil rights in general, but doesn't have to be US, maybe Invictus?

Remember the Titans (though the story was fictionalized to make some of the characters more archtypal). I think this does a good job of showing the general attitudes that people were dealing with. And I think that it portrays both sides as both less than the should have been and more than was expected - sometimes from the same person at different times.

(NB: There is a lot of dissent online about how much this depicts what really happened at that school that year. So you might want to portray it as a story about what it was like in that era, rather than as a historical movie.

And if it is about civil rights in general, but doesn't have to be US, maybe Invictus?

This one's rated PG-13, so I'm guessing it's more than we want to cover at this point.

I'm not necessarily looking for completely nonfiction--well-told stories would be fine, too.

What about the movie with the boycott on buses...there was a housekeeper who walked home...& she had to take a white girl to the park & was run out/almost run out because she was black, & it was a white park? Hmmm...I only remember snippets, though, & it might be a bit much for my guys...not sure, though...

This one's rated PG-13, so I'm guessing it's more than we want to cover at this point.

I'm not necessarily looking for completely nonfiction--well-told stories would be fine, too.

What about the movie with the boycott on buses...there was a housekeeper who walked home...& she had to take a white girl to the park & was run out/almost run out because she was black, & it was a white park? Hmmm...I only remember snippets, though, & it might be a bit much for my guys...not sure, though...

You might want to check one of the film review websites about why Invictus was rated PG13. I had not trouble letting my 8 yo and 11 yo watch it. My guess is that it was mostly for language (though I don't recall it being so salty that I was cringing, but then I may have a high tolerance)

I saw Sarafina! years ago. It was also set in South Africa, but during apartheid. It is PG13, but I think that was well deserved. The brutality of the system was amply displayed and even when the violence was only suggested, it was chilling.

You might want to check one of the film review websites about why Invictus was rated PG13. I had not trouble letting my 8 yo and 11 yo watch it. My guess is that it was mostly for language (though I don't recall it being so salty that I was cringing, but then I may have a high tolerance)

We don't do language yet. I don't want to sugar-coat anything, but I do want to be sensitive to what they're ready for. I'm thinking some of these would be perfect for middle school in a couple of years.

A great movie about racism (anti-Semitism rather than the civil rights movement, but similar themes) and discrimination is

A Gentleman's Agreement with Gregory Peck. (sigh!)

Black and white. Set post WWII in NY. A reporter who works for a major news magazine moves to the East Coast and pretends to be Jewish in order to do a story about anti-Semitism. The reporter is a widower with a young son and his mother living with him. The son meets up with some name-calling, fights on the playground and other obvious racism. The reporter faces more subtle, "socially acceptable" responses. Gets very interesting when his love interest begins to see her own prejudice and how she has accepted behavior and attitudes she knows are morally wrong and hypocritical.

Maybe a bit too old for an 8yo? Not sure. Watch it and see what you think?

Or maybe just not on target enough for your purpose?

Arg, baby just lost my first post. We just watched Disney's Ruby Bridges, is that the RB you are referring to? Anyway, my 7.5 year old was extremely upset at one point in the movie. They put a doll or something in a coffin that represented Ruby (I left the room right before this, so I didn't see this part). She was a bit freaked out, so just a head's up.

We also watched Our Friend Martin. Our library had it. The animation was a bit hokey, but my kids enjoyed it. It is animation with real Civil Rights footage interspersed through it. We also watched the "I Have a Dream" speech. There was footage of the Civil Rights march on Washington and that was eye opening for my children.

I just saw an advertisement for a PBS series called Freedom or something along those lines, we have moved on but might have watched that.

My big boy and I watched The Pistol:The Making of a Legend (on Netflix watch instantly). It is the story of Pete Maravich. The end potion of the movie is about his high school basketball team playing the African American team. They were the first to do so in their town. It is a very wholesome story (rated G) with a positive message of hard work and going for one's dreams. While the main theme of the story is focused on Maravich, it does a nice job presenting the racial issues at that point in history.

There is also Glory Road, which is PG and worth checking out. Remember the Titans would not have worked for us at my kid's ages, but I am keeping it in my mind for the next go round.