Menu

Incentive ideas... which one, why and what's it worth?

Kinect or Wii?  

1. 1. Kinect or Wii?

• Kinect
    • Wii
    • Other :-)

My kids want (need?:glare:) a new gaming system. Our GameCube finally bit the dust.

So I was looking at the Wii or the Kinect.

Do you prefer the Wii or Kinect? Keep in mind I would like something ds2 (will be 3 in a month) can use if possible.

Why do you prefer one or the other?

If you wanted to use it as an incentive for chores/school how would you go about it? I was thinking something like $1 a day goes in a jar if they get everything done and use a sliding scale if they don't.

So... lay your best ideas and opinions on me.

We've had a Wii for years, but if price isn't an object (and I'm assuming that since this is something to be earned over time, it isn't), I vote Kinect. It's newer, more intuitive, and all reports I've heard have been positive. The Wii, by comparison, is an older technology and ripe to be replaced in the next year (a brief article about that here). That'll make Wii games cheaper, sure, but it'll also make finding replacement parts and fixing problems more difficult.

We have a Kinect. I am generally anti video game - but this system has won me over. When the kids do play we usually only let them play "no controller" games. It results in a TON of sweat and laughter. If you stick with Kinect games - there's no couch time!! The workout video is great - SUPER fun and a GREAT workout.

My kids want (need?:glare:) a new gaming system. Our GameCube finally bit the dust.

So I was looking at the Wii or the Kinect.

Do you prefer the Wii or Kinect? Keep in mind I would like something ds2 (will be 3 in a month) can use if possible.

Why do you prefer one or the other?

If you wanted to use it as an incentive for chores/school how would you go about it? I was thinking something like $1 a day goes in a jar if they get everything done and use a sliding scale if they don't.

So... lay your best ideas and opinions on me.

I would probably go with the Wii. You can use your gamecube games and controllers with the Wii to play your old games.

I have no info on the Kinect. We enjoy our Wii very much.

I got a Wii for my birthday! This 50-something mom and her family have been having a blast! It's our first gaming system, and my yooung adults (and we 2 oldies) are really enjoying Rock Band (especially singing in harmony), Wii Fit, the Wii Sports, and some other games I haven't tried yet. My son found an offer on ebay for lots of Wii related things, so it's been interesting. We really like the group possibilities, the range of games and activities, and the Netflix! We do not have cable, no local channels, so having the Netflix play through the TV is FUN! I vote for the Wii.

We have both. And prefer the xBox/Kinect. The graphics are much better. Ds10 plays the xBox way more than the Wii. Many of the Wii active games don't require much more than a flick of the wrist with the remote, unless you get the outdoor challenge mat and games. The Kinect really gets you moving. You can't fake it with the Kinect.

I can't say how well the Kinect will work with a 3yo.