Menu

Punishment Ideas...

*sigh* My ds9 scratched (left welts!), on purpose, ds2. He admitted it, which is good. However I am just beside myself on how to punish this. They were outside playing so ds9 is now in the shower and I told him he can't go outside the rest of the day and no screen time either. Is that enough?

I don't know if it's enough or not, but when my kids intentionally harm one another they are expected to make that up by doing something nice for the person. Sort of a "righting" of a wrong more than a punishment (speaking to intent). That might mean doing a chore for the other person, or playing a game of his choosing with him, or reading a book to him, etc. And again, with good intent -- not a mere going through the motions.

I'm glad your older son was honest :) that speaks to his character, too!

When my 4 year old DD was 3, she went through a hitting stage. I finally warned her that if she did it again, she would wear mittens on her hands for a while. She did it again and I put mittens on her hands for about half an hour. She did NOT like this. It helped curb her hitting habit.

I honestly think I'm going to have to use this tactic again....but for my 7 year old this time. :glare:

Actually, I think 9 is a bit old for this. There has to be a reason that they scratched the 2 year old. Perhaps the little one was tearing up a project... etc. Could you help them problem solve for next time? Hurting someone is pretty serious in our house, but it's the whole... "and ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"... thing :)

Actually, I think 9 is a bit old for this. There has to be a reason that they scratched the 2 year old. Perhaps the little one was tearing up a project... etc. Could you help them problem solve for next time? Hurting someone is pretty serious in our house, but it's the whole... "and ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"... thing :)

:iagree:

Yeah, what she said.

I don't know if it's enough or not, but when my kids intentionally harm one another they are expected to make that up by doing something nice for the person. Sort of a "righting" of a wrong more than a punishment (speaking to intent). That might mean doing a chore for the other person, or playing a game of his choosing with him, or reading a book to him, etc. And again, with good intent -- not a mere going through the motions.

I'm glad your older son was honest :) that speaks to his character, too!

:iagree:

I would talk quietly and calmly to the 9 year old. Let them know that you know there is a reason that they did this and you would like them to think about it and then come and tell you why they did it.

We also talk about how our family is a safe place, and needs to be a good support. That there are a lot of negative things that we have to deal with in the outside world. That when we come home this is our place for love and respect.

We only have 5 rules in our house, we keep it simple.

1. Respect everyone in the home

2. Listen to mum and dad.

3. Be considerate and aware

4. Turn lights off in empty rooms

5. Look in the direction you are moving.

I would explain to my child that they broke rule 1 and 3. I would ask what they think would be a good way to make it up to their younger sibling.

Nicole