Menu

Tomato growing experts -- help

For mother's day, I was gifted with a tomato garden! We don't have anywhere sunny enough in the yard to do a garden. But they got some huge pots and soil with the promise of filling them with tomato plants for me!!!!

What kind(s) will do well in TN in pots? One thing I adore is home grown tomatoes. Nobody else around here likes them, so this is a great gift for me!

Here's a list of varieties which are well suited to containers according to this site:

Dwarf/Container

These tomatoes are popular for use in containers, hanging baskets and garden or patio locations where space is limited. Because more people now live where traditional vegetable gardening is not possible, container and patio gardens have become more popular. Their ornamental value is an added benefit and their fruit quality has recently been improved as well. They have fruit in red and some other colors and are not suitable for pruning (except the new Husky hybrids).

Tiny Tim
(45 days to harvest; 1 inch; very dwarf, red cherry fruit; determinate)

Cherry Gold
(45 days; 1 inch; golden version of Tiny Tim; determinate)

Red Robin
(55 days; 1 inch; super-dwarf plant, 6 inches tall; mild taste; determinate)

Yellow Canary
(55 days; 1 inch; similar to Red Robin, but yellow fruit; determinate)

Pixie Hybrid II
(52 days; 2 ounces; compact dwarf plants; determinate)

Patio Hybrid
(65 days; 3 ounces; strong dwarf plants, relatively large fruit, ideal container plant; determinate)

Small Fry
(72 days; 1 inch; red, good in hanging baskets; determinate)

Husky Red Hybrid
(68 days; 6 ounces; dwarf plant, large fruit; extended harvest; indeterminate; resistant to VF)

Husky Gold Hybrid
(70 days; 6 ounces; AAS winner; same plant types as Red and Pink; gold fruit; indeterminate; resistant to VF)

Husky Pink Hybrid
(72 days; 6 ounces; smooth pink fruit on same husky-type plant; indeterminate; resistant to VF)

Basically, though, some will tell you that you can grow anything in a pot as long as it's a big enough pot to sustain the plant. Tomatoes grow some pretty extensive root systems, so you might try some of the above if you can find them just for the best shot at good results. How large are your containers?

Such a fun idea!

I've worked in a greenhouse most of my life (my parents own one) and here is our recommendations for care.

I hoping these pots are at least 5 gallon in size or larger. Tomato plants suck up water. Here in WI they can easily take a gallon of water a day or more. SInce I'm expecting your summers are warmer than ours, they would need more water than that. It always works well if your pot has holes in the bottom so you can slide a tray underneath and fill that up with water to.

The plant varieties that Doran listed would all work well. Basically you need a compact plant. These have a stalkier/heavier stem and don't vine out the way a traditional plant would. Note: the vinier types "can" be grown in a pots but you have to plan on at least a 20 gallon pots, a very large cage, and even then you will likely need more support. Not always a pretty option but it can be done. I do this every year because my kids love cherry tomatoes so we keep one on the deck for the kids to eat whenever they feel like it, the rest of mine go in the ground.

You would want to get tomato cages and/or a heavy stake (tie with old panty hose since this will stretch with the growing plant versus a twistie that may cut off the branch of a growing plant) because these plants can get very top heavy and you want to provide some support if it gets really windy.

Soil should be a mix of black/top/potting soil (it's sold under varies names but any of these will do) and peat moss (to help keep the soil loss and retain moisture) and mix of about 2 parts soil and 1 part peat moss works good.

Definitely invest in some fertilizer. I know there are organic things out there but I don't know those. Otherwise good commercial products are Osmoscote (this is one we use in our greenhouse) and can be mixed with the soil before filling the pots and lasts about 90 days. Other options are Job's tomato spikes (i think a 6 weeks duration but I could be wrong it's been years since I've used these), Miracle grow (must be added to the water) or anything else that says for tomatoes will work fine. Tomatoes need lots of nutrients and so when container gardening it is especially important to replace this because otherwise the soil will be quickly depleted.

HTH

Stephanie

We've had lots of luck container gardening the smaller varieties. Roma and any cherry type worked well. As the ladies mentioned, they need lots of water daily:iagree:. There is something special about having fresh picked tomatoes with dinner. What wonderful gift.

Thanks to all for the help. The pots are HUGE! ( I think we could bathe a small elem. aged child in them ;)) I don't know the exact size, but they should have tons of space for good root systems. Dh researched before he bought, so Yay for him!

My family had gardens always. We grew Better Boys mainly. I love those but they need a real in the ground garden to do really well, I think.

I am hoping it will work out well. We might be able to do them on the deck. That is inside the fence so the deer can't destroy them. We just don't have enough full-sun space given the huge trees we have on all of our land. I think Dh got some pots and some soil to start with. We will get the rest of what we need when we get the plants, sometime this week probably.

They couldn't have come up with an idea that excites me more than tomatoes! I love love love them!

FYI...I use those Earth Boxes and have had great success with my tomatoes. Here in FL, you have to plant early! I started my seeds back in November...and, now have 4 plants FULL of tomatoes. They are SO sweet!! I do add a little lime to the soil...maybe that's why they are so sweet.

~Holly