Menu

Pathway Reader review alert! (Grade 5 Reader)

Please know that I've loved Pathway Readers and have used them and their workbooks for my kids from grades 1-5th grade. They've been wonderful up until this point.

However today the final chapter in the 5th grade reader was upsetting. The last chapter was full of racist vocabulary and stereotypes towards African American people.

My daughter is finishing 6th grade and fortunately we've had a chance to study and talk about the Civil War last year so when she saw where the chapter was headed she brought it to my attention.

I know I can't put her in a bubble but I would want to know if/when literature I've chosen or have had recommended to me had this in it and be able ready to address it or put it in context before hand.

Now I need to go review the grade 6 reader more closely. Anyone have any experience with that one?

I appreciate the heads-up so I can discuss the archaic vocabulary (wow, they actually used the most vulgar n-word twice when quoting the bad guys). I went and read the story and am relieved to see it at least had a good ending, but they frequently use a term (below) that is now socially unacceptable.

At the end of the story the father says, "...N***oes are the same as the rest of us - there are good one and there are bad ones; there are those who steal and those who don't. The difference is a person's character, not the color of their skin."

Anyway, I'll be thumbing through my 6th-8th grade books as soon as I get the time.

I appreciate the heads-up so I can discuss the archaic vocabulary (wow, they actually used the most vulgar n-word twice when quoting the bad guys). I went and read the story and am relieved to see it at least had a good ending, but they frequently use a term (below) that is now socially unacceptable.

At the end of the story the father says, "...N***oes are the same as the rest of us - there are good one and there are bad ones; there are those who steal and those who don't. The difference is a person's character, not the color of their skin."

Anyway, I'll be thumbing through my 6th-8th grade books as soon as I get the time.

I didn't think Negroes was the N word. I though n!gger was. :confused:

I didn't think Negroes was the N word. I though n!gger was. :confused:

Right. The bad guys say n!gger twice. The Amish (good guys in the story) refer to all black people as negroes. I'm assuming neither of those words is acceptable any longer.

I've looked through the 6th grade book and all I see are two stories that use the word negro. One on the Underground Railroad and one on Booker T. Washington. Both are very much on the side of the Quakers, freedom, anti-slavery.

Oh, forgive me for not knowing Negro is unacceptable.

I can't keep up.

I hate to be offensive.

Really, I have no clue. I'm just assuming it is because most of my friends just call themselves black, but maybe black is more offensive. Sigh, I don't know.

I don't know that that second one is considered unacceptable.

Many older African-Americans still prefer that term. It's still seen on the Census documents as a choice. When concerns were brought up about it, *many* people pointed out the generational preference for that term.

Certainly it's not mainstream, but what about the Amish is? :tongue_smilie: But I don't know that it's considered offensive, just archaic.

Thanks for the heads-up about the chapter! It's surprising to me that it's in the book, but the end of 5th grade is probably an appropriate time to discuss these issues, if not earlier.

"Negro" is not a term I use, except for "negro spirituals," and I definitely wouldn't turn to the Amish for a discussion on race relations, especially since the "us" in this case doesn't include me (not being Amish).

I used y1 and 2 of the Pathway readers and did not intend to use the others. Not regretting that.

"Negro" is not a term I use, except for "negro spirituals," and I definitely wouldn't turn to the Amish for a discussion on race relations, especially since the "us" in this case doesn't include me (not being Amish).

I used y1 and 2 of the Pathway readers and did not intend to use the others. Not regretting that.

I'd been debating using the grade 6 book & workbook (complete the series mentality) or to move onto using Progeny Press study guides.

There is a lot of Lang. Arts in the workbooks that I liked. It's not as much in the PP guides but the real literature aspect is appealing.

I kind of thought about doing both, staggering things, but now I'm leaning towards ditching Pathway Readers.

I'd been debating using the grade 6 book & workbook (complete the series mentality) or to move onto using Progeny Press study guides.

There is a lot of Lang. Arts in the workbooks that I liked. It's not as much in the PP guides but the real literature aspect is appealing.

I kind of thought about doing both, staggering things, but now I'm leaning towards ditching Pathway Readers.

The 6th grade book has a lot more history stories and contributions by other sources. As I was skimming it, I noticed it has that "old-fashioned" history kind of feel to it. Some will find the stories over-simplified and formulaic. I bought the set when we first started homeschooling, but my kids only read through book 4.

As a heads up...the word Negro is also a 6th grade spelling word for Rod and Staff.

I chalked it up to the fact that maybe because the Amish are so far removed from mainstream society - they don't understand it isn't a PC term. :confused:

We don't use the spelling from R&S. Thanks for the heads up though.