Menu

ABC's and All Their Tricks?

TKDmom

I was looking at this book, but I know absolutely nothing about it. Is it just a reference book? Or does it have lists that I could use as a spelling program? Does it follow the same method as AAS and Phonics Road (Spalding, I think?) How is it organized?

Thanks for humoring my cluelessness...

I just recently got this book to use as a reference book. It has all of the phonics/spelling rules with examples of words that follow them, but I can't see them being enough for making spelling lists. Unless, of course, you combined a couple of the rules - that might work? I'll have to go look at it more closely now!

I just recently got this book to use as a reference book. It has all of the phonics/spelling rules with examples of words that follow them, but I can't see them being enough for making spelling lists. Unless, of course, you combined a couple of the rules - that might work? I'll have to go look at it more closely now!

Hmmm, it probably isn't what I'm looking for after all, but I'd love to have a good excuse to buy it. ;)

Does anyone else have this book, who can tell me how they use it?

Have you ever seen it?

You can see inside from various websites like

http://www.amazon.com/ABCs-All-Their-Tricks/dp/0880621494

http://www.christianbook.com/the-abcs-all-their-tricks/margaret-bishop/9780880621496/pd/0621494#curr

I finally bought a copy because my library doesn't have it and I thought it might be useful, as my kids do ask questions sometimes that I would like to answer more authoritatively.

I wouldn't really use it as a spelling list. I mean, I guess you could for some of them, but I didn't envision it that way. I can't imagine teaching "can" at the same times as "could," "bicycle" and "amplification" just because they have a /k/ sound written as a "c."

Have you ever seen it?

You can see inside from various websites like

http://www.amazon.com/ABCs-All-Their-Tricks/dp/0880621494

http://www.christianbook.com/the-abcs-all-their-tricks/margaret-bishop/9780880621496/pd/0621494#curr

I finally bought a copy because my library doesn't have it and I thought it might be useful, as my kids do ask questions sometimes that I would like to answer more authoritatively.

I wouldn't really use it as a spelling list. I mean, I guess you could for some of them, but I didn't envision it that way. I can't imagine teaching "can" at the same times as "could," "bicycle" and "amplification" just because they have a /k/ sound written as a "c."[/QUOTe]

Thans for the links. I'd looked at amazon and RR, but neither of their previews included the lists, so I couldn't get a feeling for what is was really like. My library doesn't have it, either. I may still get it as a reference book at some point, but I wanted to check if it was actually a spelling program, since my dd's current spelling program isn't working.

I'm such a sicko, it has been my bedside reading, and I am amazed at how much this woman thought about words. I believe she never wrote anything else but spent years teaching people in prison to read. I think that's what I heard. I'm sorry I never met her.

:D I should just get it for myself. I used to read the dictionary for fun. :tongue_smilie:

I got it, but it is just a reference book, not a spelling program. Some people make a spelling program out of it, but I need more hand holding. AAS does exactly that for me, and it's teaching my son "why", which he wanted to know. Even after using AAS, I still don't think I could teach just using ABC's. Maybe after I go through the other levels of AAS I could...

I was looking at this book, but I know absolutely nothing about it. Is it just a reference book?
Yes, it's a reference book. One of my favorites!

Or does it have lists that I could use as a spelling program?

Before I bought AAS, I used this in conjunction with several other resources to try to make up my own spelling curriculum. That's what convinced me AAS was worth it though--because it took me a long time to try to create what they already had created!

Does it follow the same method as AAS and Phonics Road (Spalding, I think?)

I've only used AAS, not PR. The ABC's and All Their Tricks is based on a Hanna study of 17,000 most commonly used words, analyzing these words for their use of phonograms, exceptions and rule-breakers etc... What the study found is that in general, our language follows predictable patterns about 97% of the time. AAS teaches those patterns, the rules that govern them when applicable, as well as other important spelling strategies (it teaches phonetic, rules, visual, and morphemic strategies).

How is it organized?

It is organized alphabetically by phonogram. For example, if you looked up EA, you would find 3 pages--one for the long E sound as in beak, one for short E as in bread, one for long A as in steak. It would tell you how many words follow each of those patterns, and whether there are any exceptions. (As an example--the phonogram AI says the long A sound, but "said" and "again" and "against" are exceptions). It lists example words at the elementary, highschool, and collegiate levels that follow those patterns. It will have a description below that explains (sometimes) whether language of origin plays a role, if there are any rules that govern that phonogram, or if there are any common times that phonogram is used (for example, OW is generally at the end of a word but can sometimes be found before a final L or N as in bowl, shown, scowl, clown).

I agree that I use it for fun reading sometimes! I also like a good etymological dictionary (actually I don't like dictionaries that DON'T have etymologies!). It falls in the "language is fascinating" realm for me! Whenever I want to know more about a certain pattern or I'm trying to think up exceptions, I reference this book.

HTH! Merry :-)

Yes, it's a reference book. One of my favorites!

Before I bought AAS, I used this in conjunction with several other resources to try to make up my own spelling curriculum. That's what convinced me AAS was worth it though--because it took me a long time to try to create what they already had created!

I've only used AAS, not PR. The ABC's and All Their Tricks is based on a Hanna study of 17,000 most commonly used words, analyzing these words for their use of phonograms, exceptions and rule-breakers etc... What the study found is that in general, our language follows predictable patterns about 97% of the time. AAS teaches those patterns, the rules that govern them when applicable, as well as other important spelling strategies (it teaches phonetic, rules, visual, and morphemic strategies).

It is organized alphabetically by phonogram. For example, if you looked up EA, you would find 3 pages--one for the long E sound as in beak, one for short E as in bread, one for long A as in steak. It would tell you how many words follow each of those patterns, and whether there are any exceptions. (As an example--the phonogram AI says the long A sound, but "said" and "again" and "against" are exceptions). It lists example words at the elementary, highschool, and collegiate levels that follow those patterns. It will have a description below that explains (sometimes) whether language of origin plays a role, if there are any rules that govern that phonogram, or if there are any common times that phonogram is used (for example, OW is generally at the end of a word but can sometimes be found before a final L or N as in bowl, shown, scowl, clown).

I agree that I use it for fun reading sometimes! I also like a good etymological dictionary (actually I don't like dictionaries that DON'T have etymologies!). It falls in the "language is fascinating" realm for me! Whenever I want to know more about a certain pattern or I'm trying to think up exceptions, I reference this book.

HTH! Merry :-)

Very helpful! Thanks for such a thorough response!

I have it. You use it with Phonics Made Plain from Mott Media (scroll down):

http://www.mottmedia.com/pages/publications.asp?Pub=phonics

The ABC'S... is keyed to Phonics Made Plain. I have the chart on my wall. It has been very helpful as a reference tool; there's so much I didn't know.

I bought it cheaply through Amazon used. It does require teacher efforts; you basicly need to find the best way to implement it in your own home, IMO.

HTH,

Rachel

• Like 1

• 10 years later...
On 4/29/2011 at 12:38 AM, TKDmom said:

Hmmm, it probably isn't what I'm looking for after all, but I'd love to have a good excuse to buy it. 😉

Does anyone else have this book, who can tell me how they use it?

On 5/5/2011 at 2:59 AM, historymatters said:

The ABC'S... is keyed to Phonics Made Plain. I have the chart on my wall. It has been very helpful as a reference tool; there's so much I didn't know.

I bought it cheaply through Amazon used. It does require teacher efforts; you basicly need to find the best way to implement it in your own home, IMO.

HTH,

Rachel

Hello 👋

I'm really interested in such a book.

Do you have it in PDF, please?

If yes, could you email it to salamemel47@gmail.com, please?

Thank you so much 🥰💕

On 4/28/2011 at 10:25 PM, CarrieF said:

Hello 👋

Thank you so much 🥰❤️

On 5/5/2011 at 2:59 AM, historymatters said:

HTH,

Rachel

Hello 👋

Thank you so much 🥰❤️

2 hours ago, Amel said:

Hello 👋

Thank you so much 🥰❤️

Here's a link from Amazon you can go buy it new for $16 or cheaper used.