Menu

question for those who don't do summer schooling

At the beginning of the academic year, I figure out how much we need to do each week in order to finish everything by the day we want to stop. If we get ahead in a subject, we just call it "done" when we finish the materials. If we get behind, we either try to do a little more each week until we catch up or continue working on those subjects into the summer until we get done.

This year it's sort of open-ended for us. It depends what the subject is, too. They will all finish their math no matter how long it takes (prob into June). They will not finish LA and I'm ok with leaving it undone. They are doing something different next year for LA. They will finish history and science. My youngest will continue AAS and reading thru the summer. So, we're all over the place! :001_smile:

A bit of both. My kids like to finish at the same time as their PS friends--though this year they aren't complaining to finish a week before! So we do have a date, but we also try to finish the books at around that time.

We have two weeks left in our math books, so no problem there. 10yo is done with grammar already; 8yo is taking 2 years to do hers so we'll stop and then pick it back up. 10yo is going to be in the middle of CW Homer B, so we'll just pick that back up in the fall. Somehow history is already 'finished' so 10yo is making sure her binder is complete and doing more primary sources, and 8yo gets to read Egyptian myths for the next 3 weeks.

I have no idea how we got through so many books already this year. :001_huh:

I pick a day when we are done (180 days). We just move into the next book (grade level) when we are finished. Otherwise would have stopped doing Math in March when we finished the book and vocabulary in February.

We do school light during the summer.

:iagree: We do the same thing, including school (very light) during the summer. We're planning to finish around when the public schools finish.

When the 180 lessons / books are done; kids here are high school and it's a must.

We have 17 days to go, but finished math Tuesday:001_smile:.

Our state requires completion of 2/3 of a text book for credit. That doesn't work for me, but it helps with my stress.

I pick a day when we are done (180 days). We just move into the next book (grade level) when we are finished. Otherwise would have stopped doing Math in March when we finished the book and vocabulary in February.

We do school light during the summer.

This is what we do too. When I taught elementary, we didn't always finish the books. School may have ended with about 2 chapters/units left in any given subject. I don't worry about finishing. As long as we've done our required number of days, I call it good.

We finish the book in all subjects except for the two below.

For my daughter's English we finish half the book and stop at the end of a chapter. She got off schedule a bit the year we used half R&S English and Write with the Best (scheduled by HOD).

Math, we don't worry about because I teach it year round. When we finish a book, we just pick up the next one (testing out of most of the review), but we complete the equivalent of one text each school year (150ish lessons).