Menu

First Communion Brunch ...

In a couple of weeks my dd is going to have her first communion :D. The mass is at 9AM on a Saturday and afterwards family and friends are coming over for a small party/brunch. I have never hosted a brunch before so please tell me what you think of the menu.

Ham - I can cook this the night before

Fricatta (spinach w/cheese) - I can cook this before mass

Muffins and Croissants

Fruit and Veggie platter

Cookies and a Lemon Cake

between 15 to 20 people will be over.

Does this sound OK?

Any extra advice would be wonderful. I am already starting to get nervous, when I had family over for last Thanksgiving I was so stressed out I dropped the cornbread (because I forgot to put on my oven mitt), and sat in the middle of my kitchen and cried - was not a pretty site.

Aw, hon, don't be nervous. Your menu looks wonderful. The only suggestion I have is for drinks. Do you have a nice punch recipe or do you need one? How about coffee for those that prefer coffee? And if you have a pitcher of water on the table or buffet you'll be doing great.

In a couple of weeks my dd is going to have her first communion :D. The mass is at 9AM on a Saturday and afterwards family and friends are coming over for a small party/brunch. I have never hosted a brunch before so please tell me what you think of the menu.

Ham - I can cook this the night before

Fricatta (spinach w/cheese) - I can cook this before mass

Muffins and Croissants

Fruit and Veggie platter

Cookies and a Lemon Cake

between 15 to 20 people will be over.

Does this sound OK?

Any extra advice would be wonderful. I am already starting to get nervous, when I had family over for last Thanksgiving I was so stressed out I dropped the cornbread (because I forgot to put on my oven mitt), and sat in the middle of my kitchen and cried - was not a pretty site.

In the same boat...trying not to freak out. I am combining FHC reception with two b-day parties. I never entertain.

I will be having punch made with sherbert and ginger ale.

Your menu looks great. You will likely have to be at church by 8:30. Are you sure you want to cook beforehand? I'm going super lazy and having Olive Garden salads, fruit salad, rolls, condiments, pretzel sandwiches from the local bakery, cake and brazillian lemonade.

I have thrown a lot of parties. Here is my advice:

set the table the night before leaving a post it note for where each food item should go.

You might want to assign a relative to go to your house immediately after mass and put out the food. There are usually photos after FHC and you may not be the first one to arrive.

Focus on one thing that you want to be fabulous and don't worry too much about the rest. I tend to make fancy drinks and decorate the table.

Congrats to your First Communicant!

I would have rolls and cheese in case any folks want to make ham sandwiches rather than eating it entree style. My family tends to be about half and half when it comes to their ham-eating preference, so I get half as many rolls as guests.

My family would insist on potato salad and also a pickle/relish/olives tray.

Sounds good - when we had folks over after the twins baptism, I had platters of assorted cold cuts and cheese ready to go in the 'fridge, breads, pasta salad - things I could do ahead of time. It is not as though folks are coming to your house expecting you to have been there cooking up a storm for them!

What are pretzel sandwiches?

scroll down for the sandwich. http://www.cincinnati.com/dining/servatii/chef.html

Oh, and if you are serving ham, cut it into thirds. I find that people often take more than they will eat (especially children) and I hate to run out because kids have put more than then can eat on their plates. Sometimes, I serve small rolls for kids.