Menu

HOD

KeriJ

Guest RecumbentHeart
LBC is really excellent. I am trying to avoid the LBC website because when I go there I start rethinking my decision to use HOD. I think my problem right now is which HOD level. I've been convinced to use Bigger but the more I think about it, I'm just not sure if she really should do Preparing - even though I'd rather do American history.

So what say the HOD experts? Which is the deciding factor when choosing an HOD level? Is it age? History content? LA ability? I know the push in the HOD board is to really avoid stretching too much when you place, but I've been burned by that advice before and ended up with material far too easy. I don't think it's ever intended that way - it just happens. So I worry about ending up with something when I wish it was most challenging. But at the same time I don't want to overdo it.

Thoughts?

Heather

Heather is avoiding LBC and I am avoiding HOD. :lol:

I would go with LA skill with a side reference to age for maturity reasons. I know I've read them repeatedly say to not place by history ... for what that's wroth. :tongue_smilie:

Obviously I'm no expert .. I'm refusing to even look at it. :lol:

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LBC is really excellent. I am trying to avoid the LBC website because when I go there I start rethinking my decision to use HOD. I think my problem right now is which HOD level. I've been convinced to use Bigger but the more I think about it, I'm just not sure if she really should do Preparing - even though I'd rather do American history.

So what say the HOD experts? Which is the deciding factor when choosing an HOD level? Is it age? History content? LA ability? I know the push in the HOD board is to really avoid stretching too much when you place, but I've been burned by that advice before and ended up with material far too easy. I don't think it's ever intended that way - it just happens. So I worry about ending up with something when I wish it was most challenging. But at the same time I don't want to overdo it.

Thoughts?

Heather

:bigear: I am ordering Preparing for DD9, but keep getting a nagging feeling to do Bigger. And I bought LHFHG for my K'er (5) but am wondering if I should have gone LHTH. :001_huh: I dont want too easy. I think DD will be fine. DS places in LHFHG but then if I stuck with HOD he would be in Preparing at age 8 and I am pretty sure he wont be up to it. Which means I will need to slow him down or add in a year of something else. AHHHHH decisions, decisons....

I cant afford to buy 4 programs lol

Guest RecumbentHeart
:bigear: I am ordering Preparing for DD9, but keep getting a nagging feeling to do Bigger. And I bought LHFHG for my K'er (5) but am wondering if I should have gone LHTH. :001_huh: I dont want too easy. I think DD will be fine. DS places in LHFHG but then if I stuck with HOD he would be in Preparing at age 8 and I am pretty sure he wont be up to it. Which means I will need to slow him down or add in a year of something else. AHHHHH decisions, decisons....

But needing to add in a year of something would mean ... something else to research, choose and try out! :w00t:

:lol:

But needing to add in a year of something would mean ... something else to research, choose and try out! :w00t:

:lol:

:lol::lol::lol: My first thought was I could totally do a year of MFW!!!!

The good Lord only knows if I will stick with HOD for more than a year, and here I am worried about 4 years out. CRAZY!!!!!!

Thoughts?

Heather

Heather, I am in the exact same situation with my oldest. I can't seem to place him in something that is actually stretching him....it always ends up being too easy. :001_huh: I usually underwhelm him. ***Where does your DD fall on the placement chart? Please share the juicy details!!***

My rising 3rd grader is right in between Bigger and Preparing. He is learning cursive now and with some effort I think he might be ready for the challenge of Preparing this fall. But I'm really nervous about it. If I could place him in Preparing I'd feel more comfortable running two guides (that's a long story but it would work better for me). On the other hand, why push? Bigger is a good 3rd grade program. I can always max out the guide. What makes you think your DD might need to be placed in Preparing?

I keep hearing that HOD is meatier than it looks and that Bigger is really a transitional guide which trains you and the student to use the upper guides. Honestly, every time I get ready to begin I just can't do it. What is my problem? HOD has almost everything I want already scheduled for me....Blah!!

I am no longer tempted by LBC though as I have too big a crew to try to combine...I was in love with it for a long time though. In fact, I think I bought some LBC guides from you once upon a time.... :001_smile:

I'm having that same problem. Ds is placed perfectly to complete all of the HOD programs, but dd turned 5 in Oct. and is doing LHFHG. She would finish all the guides at 16 at this rate. I'm trying to figure out if I should slow her down through Beyond, and Bigger, or throw a year of something else in between Beyond, and Bigger. I don't want her starting Preparing when she is 7. Right now nothing else I have looked at appeals to me. MFW 1st looks boring, and is tied to reading skills, Sonlight is too expensive and the TM do not appeal to me, and I do not want a workbook curriculum. I was annoying my dh with this dilemma yesterday lol! I will not make the mistake of starting a kid with LHFHG at 4 again ;). The problem with dd is she is advanced for her age, so LHTH was way to easy for her.

You can also run a guide at half speed so you stretch it out over two years.....you could do that with your youngest when he hits Beyond (or Bigger, depending upon his development). :001_smile: I cannot IMAGINE Preparing with an 8 year old. That's my placement dilemma....I'm supposed to put my 5 and 7 year old in LHFHG to make my life EASIER but what I want to do is put each kid in their own guide (which is insane) so they get the skill progression at the right time. If my daughter does this plan then she hits Bigger at BARELY 7 and Preparing at BARELY 8! That is not a comfy scenario!

My older guy will need to hit those guides though because he'll be on the older end of each of them. I am already having to hold him back a guide in order to simplify my life :D.

Guest RecumbentHeart
Heather, I am in the exact same situation with my oldest. I can't seem to place him in something that is actually stretching him....it always ends up being too easy. :001_huh: I usually underwhelm him. ***Where does your DD fall on the placement chart? Please share the juicy details!!***

My rising 3rd grader is right in between Bigger and Preparing. He is learning cursive now and with some effort I think he might be ready for the challenge of Preparing this fall. But I'm really nervous about it. If I could place him in Preparing I'd feel more comfortable running two guides (that's a long story but it would work better for me). On the other hand, why push? Bigger is a good 3rd grade program. I can always max out the guide. What makes you think your DD might need to be placed in Preparing?

I keep hearing that HOD is meatier than it looks and that Bigger is really a transitional guide which trains you and the student to use the upper guides. Honestly, every time I get ready to begin I just can't do it. What is my problem? HOD has almost everything I want already scheduled for me....Blah!!

I am no longer tempted by LBC though as I have too big a crew to try to combine...I was in love with it for a long time though. In fact, I think I bought some LBC guides from you once upon a time.... :001_smile:

The transition nature of Bigger (if that's true, I think I've heard it as well) would be reason for me to do it (I mean, if I was in y'alls shoes).

Just think, if you HAD started, you would have a better grasp on it by now from your own experience. Unless you're doing something else, you could always be doing it and still agonizing over it. :D

For the pp's trying to decide between Bigger and Preparing...Why not go ahead and buy Bigger, then once you have the guide in your hands, you can decide if it's too easy. If you feel it is too easy, pull in harder LA and math, plus use the extension pack for Bigger. That should beef it up pretty well!!!

I am using Bigger with my dd7 (she turns 8 shortly after school starts) this fall. I already own the guide and it is really meaty. I can see how it would be very easy to make it harder if you needed to without even buying the extension pack. The only thing I'm worried about is the amount of writing required (not creative writing or essays, just in general). But I think the stretch will be good for my dd.

For the pp's trying to decide between Bigger and Preparing...Why not go ahead and buy Bigger, then once you have the guide in your hands, you can decide if it's too easy. If you feel it is too easy, pull in harder LA and math, plus use the extension pack for Bigger. That should beef it up pretty well!!!

I am using Bigger with my dd7 (she turns 8 shortly after school starts) this fall. I already own the guide and it is really meaty. I can see how it would be very easy to make it harder if you needed to without even buying the extension pack. The only thing I'm worried about is the amount of writing required (not creative writing or essays, just in general). But I think the stretch will be good for my dd.

My hesitation for doing this is that then I go back to scheduling things myself (our LA, our math, etc.) which is what I am trying to avoid by going the HOD route. While I know my 9yo could probably use some of the transition offered through Bigger I know I will lose him to boredom if we're working for weeks (or months) on something that is obviously below his skill set. Does that make any sense?

Guest RecumbentHeart
My hesitation for doing this is that then I go back to scheduling things myself (our LA, our math, etc.) which is what I am trying to avoid by going the HOD route. While I know my 9yo could probably use some of the transition offered through Bigger I know I will lose him to boredom if we're working for weeks (or months) on something that is obviously below his skill set. Does that make any sense?

Total sense.

This was something that always got me too when I considered my own children.

This is what worries me too. Mine is also sitting between Bigger and Preparing. The problem I find with 'beefing it up' through the extensions is that it doesn't beef up what I am most interested in - the LA portion. One thing I've learned over the years is that it's about skills, not really information - if that makes sense. I want to make sure we continue to progress with skills. I don't want her bored and I don't want her stagnating in skills she's already got a handle on. But on the other hand, if you press forward with skills too quickly you don't have the foundation needed to build the next set of skills well.

This is actually something that is currently pushing me more toward HOD over LBC. I feel like HOD spells those skills out while I feel like with LBC I might lose focus on what I should be working on. But if I don't properly place in HOD, I lose that benefit.

Heather

You can also run a guide at half speed so you stretch it out over two years.....you could do that with your youngest when he hits Beyond (or Bigger, depending upon his development). :001_smile: I cannot IMAGINE Preparing with an 8 year old. That's my placement dilemma....I'm supposed to put my 5 and 7 year old in LHFHG to make my life EASIER but what I want to do is put each kid in their own guide (which is insane) so they get the skill progression at the right time. If my daughter does this plan then she hits Bigger at BARELY 7 and Preparing at BARELY 8! That is not a comfy scenario!

My older guy will need to hit those guides though because he'll be on the older end of each of them. I am already having to hold him back a guide in order to simplify my life :D.

I did post this question on the HOD boards...I was wondering when it was best to go half speed. I just hate to go half speed if my DS doesnt want or need to. SO, I may end up half speeding Beyond and supplementing which is SO not what I want to do. I definitely dont want to use any MFW before Adventures. And I really want to follow a laid out plan, not make up my own or add and delete things. Sigh

I do have the guide :001_smile: and the books and I have Preparing....I adore Preparing. You are using Bigger with DD7, turning 8 in the fall. Hmmmm...My son will be 9 this fall. He's a strong student but we haven't had consistent practice in oral narration. He also struggles with staying on task though I expect we will always be working on that issue (highly distractible kiddo).

Have you been using HOD all along?

And I bought LHFHG for my K'er (5) but am wondering if I should have gone LHTH. :001_huh: I dont want too easy. I think DD will be fine. DS places in LHFHG but then if I stuck with HOD he would be in Preparing at age 8 and I am pretty sure he wont be up to it. Which means I will need to slow him down or add in a year of something else. AHHHHH decisions, decisons....

abrightmom's idea of taking a guide half speed is great, but another idea would be to do the guides 4 days per week, instead of 5, and add in some other "do whatever we want for school" days to make a full year. Each guide schedules 170 HOD days per year, so if you did HOD only 4 days per week you'd do an average of 127.5 HOD days per year for 4 years (K-3rd grade). You can easily fill in the missing 42.5 days per year with whatever you want (even something as simple as helping with grocery shopping: home ec!). :)

I'm having that same problem. Ds is placed perfectly to complete all of the HOD programs, but dd turned 5 in Oct. and is doing LHFHG. She would finish all the guides at 16 at this rate. I'm trying to figure out if I should slow her down through Beyond, and Bigger, or throw a year of something else in between Beyond, and Bigger. I don't want her starting Preparing when she is 7.

The idea of doing the guides 4 days per week should work well for you, too. I definitely agree with you that 7 is too young for Preparing. Going 4 days a week would also keep your DD working pretty much at her level, without slowing her down as much as half speed would (though I think half speed is great, so I'm not knocking it at all).

I've been happily lurking on the recent HOD threads, and finally just had to join in! I had the same thoughts as you ladies, as my 3.5 DS will be ready for LHFHG when he turns 5, but I don't want him in Preparing until he's 9, and I just can't be happy with the idea of plugging in an entirely different curriculum for one year just to fix the age issue. How confusing for our DC! Do a guide or two half speed, do the guides 4 days per week, whatever works for you. 3 HOD guides (LHFHG, Beyond & Bigger) can be made to fill in 4 years of school (K-3rd grade). :)

Thanks for your responses! I think since I am confident in the fact that I want PR, I will go stick with MFW for this year. I know it will be a good enough fit for us. I just dont think with the ages of my kids MFW will be good long term, and thats why I was thinking about HOD. But I really want to choose my own LA, which Im sure I probably could do with HOD but it might be easier with MFW

I used PR 2 with dd 3rd grade this year using MFW ECC. It was a great fit because MFW is so flexible with LA and gives plenty of room to do your own thing. However, I am moving my dd 9 over to HOD next year because the older two are doing their own programs (MFW AHL is one of them) and I really want to try HOD.

I think you will have a great year with MFW if that is what you choose :001_smile:

:iagree: Same considerations here...well said. My oldest is also prone to laziness...if challenged he will rise (and grow) but if not he just settles for the easy ride. So far, school has been easy peasy for him. I'd like to kick it up a notch in 3rd grade and do some stretching... for both of us!

Edited by abrightmom

The idea of doing the guides 4 days per week should work well for you, too. I definitely agree with you that 7 is too young for Preparing. Going 4 days a week would also keep your DD working pretty much at her level, without slowing her down as much as half speed would (though I think half speed is great, so I'm not knocking it at all).

That is exactly what I was thinking of doing yesterday, so I printed out a calendar of the next few years to see how doing Beyond, and Bigger 4 days a week would work out. Unfortunately we just school too many weeks a year, so it still had her finishing Bigger hearts in August of 2013 when she would still be 7. Ughh, I just want to get her progression all mapped out, but things don't always go as planned. She is in Unit 28 of Little Hearts right now, and we are kinda taking it half speed for now, and because of having June off she will finish it at the beginning of September if I do that. I really do not want to do Beyond or Bigger half speed. I don't see how she could be ready for preparing if she does Bigger half speed.

I did post this question on the HOD boards...I was wondering when it was best to go half speed. I just hate to go half speed if my DS doesnt want or need to. SO, I may end up half speeding Beyond and supplementing which is SO not what I want to do. I definitely dont want to use any MFW before Adventures. And I really want to follow a laid out plan, not make up my own or add and delete things. Sigh

I was posting my reply above when you wrote, so I'll answer you with another post. :) Now, my thoughts are coming from a new HSing mom, and I've only used LHTH, but IMO you don't need to supplement anything if you decide to half speed one of the guides, or do the 4 days per week idea I wrote about above. Either way you will be doing all the content in the guides, just at a slower pace. But the content is there. If you were going full speed you'd be doing the same work, but it would just get done sooner. And you don't really want it done sooner because you don't care for the idea of starting Preparing when your DS is 8. So why worry about going slower? Does that make sense?

Also, a big part of the reason I chose to plan on doing HOD 4 days per week to slow it down instead of half speeding a guides is because of precisely the same concern you expressed: not knowing when the best time to half speed would be, and doing it when DS doesn't want/need to. With my 4 days per week plan I feel like I'm not slowing my DS academically, as each day is still a full speed day. There will just be one or two extra days for other things during each HOD unit. So we'll take longer to get through the guides than normal, but will be doing the work full speed each day, and DS will still be challenged. At least, that's how I choose to look at it. :)

Here is my issue with Placement:

DD will be 10 at the end of August. She is finishing up 4th grade in public school. She has never been exposed to CM style of learning. She has never diagrammed and her grammar knowledge is ok but not great. I am seriosuly contemplating using R&S 3 with her. She LOVES to read and is a history buff so I am contemplating putting her in Bigger rather than Prepare just for the sake of not overwhelming her in the beginning with the narration/copy/dicatation. PLUS I will be able to renforce better grammer skills before we go up to the harder levels. I would just need to purchase the extension packs for reading.

BUT some have said she should be fine in Prepare.......Given that I need to start with R&S 3 maybe I should just do Bigger and if we fly through it I can always start Prepare sooner.

That is exactly what I was thinking of doing yesterday, so I printed out a calendar of the next few years to see how doing Beyond, and Bigger 4 days a week would work out. Unfortunately we just school too many weeks a year, so it still had her finishing Bigger hearts in August of 2013 when she would still be 7. Ughh, I just want to get her progression all mapped out, but things don't always go as planned. She is in Unit 28 of Little Hearts right now, and we are kinda taking it half speed for now, and because of having June off she will finish it at the beginning of September if I do that. I really do not want to do Beyond or Bigger half speed. I don't see how she could be ready for preparing if she does Bigger half speed.

So, what about doing the first halves of Beyond and Bigger half speed, and the second halves full speed? That way the half speed half of each guide will give you more time and the full speed second half will prepare your DD for the rigor of the upcoming guide. And you can still do the guides 4 days a week if you need even more time. I know you said you don't want to take the guides half speed, but I don't know what else you can do without adding in another curriculum (which I certainly wouldn't want to do). And I think doing the second half of Bigger full speed will be enough to prepare your DD for Preparing.

If you don't mind, when does your DD turn 8? You would be okay with her starting Preparing then? And how many weeks do you school each year? I enjoy working out schedules so I can help you brainstorm how to make Beyond and Bigger stretch long enough if you'd like. :)

This is what worries me too. Mine is also sitting between Bigger and Preparing. The problem I find with 'beefing it up' through the extensions is that it doesn't beef up what I am most interested in - the LA portion. One thing I've learned over the years is that it's about skills, not really information - if that makes sense. I want to make sure we continue to progress with skills. I don't want her bored and I don't want her stagnating in skills she's already got a handle on. But on the other hand, if you press forward with skills too quickly you don't have the foundation needed to build the next set of skills well.

This is actually something that is currently pushing me more toward HOD over LBC. I feel like HOD spells those skills out while I feel like with LBC I might lose focus on what I should be working on. But if I don't properly place in HOD, I lose that benefit.

Heather

Heather,

There is more to the extensions than simply reading. The main focus is to add content via more challenging reading (for 4th and 5th graders). There is also a section in Bigger's appendix that says this: "Depending on your goals for your older students' independent readings, you may want to assess their reading comprehension in some way. Some suggestions for assessment of your older students' reading could include having them do a combination of the following things: orally retell what they've read (suggested twice during each unit), write a one paragraph summary of the reading (suggested twice during each unit), draw a picture with captions about the reading (suggested once during each unit).

***What skills are you wanting to focus on?*** Maybe we can brain storm together and talk placement. We are in a very similar situation (and both using VP....). My variable is that I will have 3 students so I have to consider that in my planning (how much time my day takes with each kid and a toddler underfoot). My younger students are a new 5 year old learning to read and a 7 year old emerging reader moving quickly into independent reading. He'll be using PR 1 as soon as it arrives (found it used:001_smile:).

I am seriously considering combining everybody for this year just to give HOD a try without overcommitting myself by running multiple guides.

Just wanted to add that I do not really want to start her in Preparing until she is 8 turning 9 at least. My ds will start Preparing right after turning 9(4th grade), and I think that will be perfect. According to our state she would be in K this coming fall, so she would be a 2nd grader in PS in the fall of 2013.

I am reposting from about 5 pages back:

I haven't read all the threads, so my apologies ahead of time if this has already been discussed.

I am really leaning on doing the new RevtoRev with my soon to be 13 yo for September. I would use R+S(Not sure if we would do Grade 5 or 6 yet), the DITOHR as well. Their Science and either Math Mammoth or Lials BCM.

But, I am torn on what they are recommending for writing. "The Exciting World of Creative Writing".

I believe I have seen this book before and it seemed dry. And I am not so sure I want my dd focusing on only creative writing all year. She is very good with that. I want to start focusing on essay writings and research reports.

I was wondering what people's thoughts were on this?

I feel silly even thinking that far in advance, but I feel I need to before we jump into Beyond, and Bigger.

Not silly at all! Heck, like I said, my DS is only 3.5 and I've got him scheduled up through high school, lol! If you don't figure out your scheduling now, then it'll be a lot harder to spread things out later (though I do realize that things can change at any time).

Also, how many weeks do you school each year and when are your stopping and starting months for each year? That's really important to know. I wrote down all your other info and will consult my calendar when I know how many weeks you need filled each year. :)

But, I am torn on what they are recommending for writing. "The Exciting World of Creative Writing".

I believe I have seen this book before and it seemed dry. And I am not so sure I want my dd focusing on only creative writing all year. She is very good with that. I want to start focusing on essay writings and research reports.

My guess is you're not going to get a precise answer to this question as the RevtoRev guide isn't even completely written yet, so no one really knows. Hopefully Carrie will see your thread on the HOD board and be able to give you more info. As another poster on the HOD board mentioned, more formal writing lessons are provided in R&S. If you go to this R&S website and click on the "Set" link of the grade level you would be using you can see the Table of Contents, which should give you an idea of the R&S writing assignments that might be scheduled in RevtoRev. Also, even if RevtoRev does contain mostly just creative writing, I'm sure that more formal writing will be stressed as the guides continue on into high school. My impression is that Carrie does not overlook that important things, and will get to everything at some point.

Well generally speaking we end up with like 41-42 weeks a year 5 days a week. We take off June, and about 5-6 other weeks throughout the year. My ds finished Beyond last week, so we are doing some other things until June, because I want to start our new year in July. I was figuring if you do the guides four days a week they last for 41 weeks.

My guess is you're not going to get a precise answer to this question as the RevtoRev guide isn't even completely written yet, so no one really knows. Hopefully Carrie will see your thread on the HOD board and be able to give you more info. As another poster on the HOD board mentioned, more formal writing lessons are provided in R&S. If you go to this R&S website and click on the "Set" link of the grade level you would be using you can see the Table of Contents, which should give you an idea of the R&S writing assignments that might be scheduled in RevtoRev. Also, even if RevtoRev does contain mostly just creative writing, I'm sure that more formal writing will be stressed as the guides continue on into high school. My impression is that Carrie does not overlook that important things, and will get to everything at some point.

Well, what concerns me is that IEW Medieval was scheduled in RTR(I think?) and that is a fantastic writing program. That scheduled in a lot of outlining, research and essays.

In RevtoRev, it is just creative writing. So I am *thinking* since the other portions of writing have already been covered in the previous guide, this(RevtoRev) will only focus on creative writing.

And being new to HOD, this is not the only thing I would like to focus on. KWIM?

I hope Carrie sees my post over there.

Well, what concerns me is that IEW Medieval was scheduled in RTR(I think?) and that is a fantastic writing program. That scheduled in a lot of outlining, research and essays.

In RevtoRev, it is just creative writing. So I am *thinking* since the other portions of writing have already been covered in the previous guide, this(RevtoRev) will only focus on creative writing.

And being new to HOD, this is not the only thing I would like to focus on. KWIM?

I hope Carrie sees my post over there.

Are you sure it's only creative writing? That would be disappointing. Hopefully when you hear from Carrie she'll tell you there is much more intertwined in the guide itself and we just can't tell because it's not a separate product. I'm not against creative writing but it really shouldn't be the focus writing done for school.

Heather

The Appendix in Bigger has the math already scheduled for using Singapore 3A and 3B, so the math scheduling is done for you. You could easily use Rod and Staff 3 in place of Rod and Staff 2. In fact one lady on the HOD yahoo group said that she used Bigger this year with her 9 year old and used the recommended Rod and Staff 2 and felt like they wasted their time. She wished they had gone with Rod and Staff 3. I can't imagine that planning the grammr in Rod and Staff 3 would be that difficult..isn't it pretty much do the next lesson (it looks that way in the samples)?

In Preparing, your dc can use either Rod and Staff 3 or 4 (lessons are scheduled for both) so it wouldn't throw off your LA in the next guide at all. There is also studied dictation for spelling in the appendix for dc who can already spell the scheduled spelling words. I guess what I'm saying is that I think Carrie has planned for those who wish to use Bigger with a 9 year old (3rd grader); it's just not easy to find.

The Appendix in Bigger has the math already scheduled for using Singapore 3A and 3B, so the math scheduling is done for you. You could easily use Rod and Staff 3 in place of Rod and Staff 2. In fact one lady on the HOD yahoo group said that she used Bigger this year with her 9 year old and used the recommended Rod and Staff 2 and felt like they wasted their time. She wished they had gone with Rod and Staff 3. I can't imagine that planning the grammr in Rod and Staff 3 would be that difficult..isn't it pretty much do the next lesson (it looks that way in the samples)?

In Preparing, your dc can use either Rod and Staff 3 or 4 (lessons are scheduled for both) so it wouldn't throw off your LA in the next guide at all. There is also studied dictation for spelling in the appendix for dc who can already spell the scheduled spelling words. I guess what I'm saying is that I think Carrie has planned for those who wish to use Bigger with a 9 year old (3rd grader); it's just not easy to find.

We used R&S 3 in Bigger and it was super simple to do...as in, open the book and do the next lesson :) We'll use 4 with PHFHG as scheduled in the guide.

Are you sure it's only creative writing? That would be disappointing. Hopefully when you hear from Carrie she'll tell you there is much more intertwined in the guide itself and we just can't tell because it's not a separate product. I'm not against creative writing but it really shouldn't be the focus writing done for school.

Heather

LA and writing go across the entire curriculum. It's woven into all sorts of things. R&S English also includes very solid writing instruction that is far from the creative writing style mentioned. You could easily replace the creative writing program from Rev2Rev and use one from CTC or RTR.

There is a recent post asking just this question on the HOD board! Perhaps it's your post, but if not, it's a must read! FANTASTIC!

Sounds like us too!!! I'm going to use Preparing with my 5th grader... I was afraid of R&S but it seems with the copywork, dictation, and narrations, it sounds a bit gentler. And then I remember that SWB recommended R&S for grammar and writing before she completed her FLL and WWE series... So I think it will be just fine! I lean toward the CM side too, similar to Carrie. :)

Could you please share with me why you are choosing Preparing over CTC for your 5th grader? I have a upcoming 5th grader and was planning to use CTC, but now I'm curious and want to think everything through.....:)

:bigear:

Thanks much!

I believe someone is on worrying about a 9-year-old being bored with Bigger? I just got my "Bigger Box" of curriculum today, and I can pretty confidently assure you that it looks pretty challenging. I had considered using it this past year for my two 10-year-olds (with extensions) and my ds7, but thought it'd be too boring for the big guys. Actually, I think it would have been perfect. However, with my little guy's language processing issues, I think the language, in the poetry that was chosen, and in the Eggleston books, will be too much for him, and I may not keep the program. :001_unsure: More to think about...

Here are all the LA work that is done from week 21 of the Bigger guide (just as a sample for those of you wondering about how advanced it is):

Day 1:

Poetry-copywork and vocabulary

Bible--dictionary usage

Science--oral narration (could easily do written narration instead)

Language Arts--scheduled pages from Rod and Staff and cursive handwriting book

Reading--Drawn Into the Heart of Reading (whatever you have scheduled for this day)

Day 2:

Poetry--copywork, analyzing meaning

Science--notebooking

Reading--Drawn Into the Heart of Reading (whatever you have scheduled for this day)

Storytime--oral narration

Day 3:

History--oral narration (could be written)

Vocabulary--context clues, dictionary usage, using words in original sentences

Poetry--copywork, rhyming patterns

Storytime--main idea and supporting details

Day 4:

Poetry--copywork, rhyming couplets

Bible--copywork

Science--narration

Day 5:

Poetry--copywork

History--Notebooking

Storytime--narration

Maybe someone who has the Preparing guide could do the same thing for a week out of there so you can compare. HTH :001_smile:

Well generally speaking we end up with like 41-42 weeks a year 5 days a week. We take off June, and about 5-6 other weeks throughout the year. My ds finished Beyond last week, so we are doing some other things until June, because I want to start our new year in July. I was figuring if you do the guides four days a week they last for 41 weeks.

Actually, doing a guide 4 days per week = 42.5 weeks. There are 34 Units, with 170 days in each guide. 170 days divided by 4 days per week = 42.5 weeks, with the 5th day of each week being the extra day.

Okay, so here’s my (very) rough thoughts. It sounds like you don’t want to start your DD in Preparing until the end of October 2014. As you do about 41 schooling weeks each year, that means that you need to fill in about 144 schooling weeks* between now and Oct. 2014. I think if you do the rest of LHFHG half speed, 4 days per week, and then the first halves of Beyond and Bigger half speed and the second halves of both guides full speed, 4 days per week it would take 142.5 weeks to do so. Here’s my math (gosh I hope this is right, lol!):

LHFHG: 6 Units remaining (right?) = 30 days. 30 days half speed = 60 days. 60 days divided by 4 days per week = 15 weeks

Beyond & Bigger: 17 Units = 85 days. 85 days half speed = 170 days. 170 days (17 half speed Units) + 85 days (17 full speed Units) = 255 days. 255 days divided by 4 days per week = 63.75 weeks per guide

Therefore, 15 weeks LHFHG + 63.75 weeks Beyond + 63.75 weeks Bigger = 142.5 weeks. As you will need to fill in about 144 schooling weeks, I think this plan gets pretty darn close. :)

*144 weeks = 21 weeks May 1-Oct 31, 2011 + (41 weeks x 3 years) Oct 31, 2011-Oct 31, 2014

Edited by avbprincess

What a great thread!! I have enjoyed reading it. I too, have HOD. I have Beyond and Bigger guides. I have never used them but am wanting to for this next school year.

My hangup is that I am really afraid that myself and my kids will be really bored with the same time frame being taught two years in a row. I know that the Bigger guide is more biography based but it is still talking about the same time period as the Beyond guide.

Just from reading through the two guides the History readings in Beyond seem a lot more interesting and "fun" than the readings in the Bigger guide.

Has anyone else felt like this or is it just me?

Thanks so much!

I am almost afraid to ask, but what is LBC....? I haven't bought HOD preparing yet, so is it worth it to look...........or should I just close my eyes and forget I saw something else? :confused:

LBC is Living Books Curriculum. It's a bit closer to something like Ambleside Online but with a more modern mix of books and fleshed out scheduling. It definitely follows a CM approach and teaching two streams of history concurrently - American and World history - both studied chronologically.

Heather

I would just buy the IEW program that is used in RTR. It sounds like what you want.

So, if I would decide to go with Beyond for my 7 yr old, could I also use Phonics Road with it and drop the LA part of HOD. Or would that be to much for his age?

I am completely set on using PR and want to find something to go with it.

Has anyone used their own LA with HOD?

Heather,

There is more to the extensions than simply reading. The main focus is to add content via more challenging reading (for 4th and 5th graders). There is also a section in Bigger's appendix that says this: "Depending on your goals for your older students' independent readings, you may want to assess their reading comprehension in some way. Some suggestions for assessment of your older students' reading could include having them do a combination of the following things: orally retell what they've read (suggested twice during each unit), write a one paragraph summary of the reading (suggested twice during each unit), draw a picture with captions about the reading (suggested once during each unit).

***What skills are you wanting to focus on?*** Maybe we can brain storm together and talk placement. We are in a very similar situation (and both using VP....). My variable is that I will have 3 students so I have to consider that in my planning (how much time my day takes with each kid and a toddler underfoot). My younger students are a new 5 year old learning to read and a 7 year old emerging reader moving quickly into independent reading. He'll be using PR 1 as soon as it arrives (found it used:001_smile:).

I am seriously considering combining everybody for this year just to give HOD a try without overcommitting myself by running multiple guides.

I want next year to be all about narration (moving into written but solidifying oral first) dictation, grammar etc. When I look at Bigger I worry because I based on those samples on the link you gave me, she definitely can do the Preparing dictation. I know she is ready for R&S3. But I worry about narration. She has ADHD and her probably with narration is staying focused and not going off on a tangent while she tells me about something the story reminded her of. She doesn't do that when she writes narrations (we don't write narrations often but she stays on task better that way) but she isn't really ready for much more than a short paragraph written narration. She can write pages when she's making up her own stuff but not when I direct the topic yet. And she hasn't done cursive. She can read it but we haven't focused much on writing it yet.

Heather

I was posting my reply above when you wrote, so I'll answer you with another post. :) Now, my thoughts are coming from a new HSing mom, and I've only used LHTH, but IMO you don't need to supplement anything if you decide to half speed one of the guides, or do the 4 days per week idea I wrote about above. Either way you will be doing all the content in the guides, just at a slower pace. But the content is there. If you were going full speed you'd be doing the same work, but it would just get done sooner. And you don't really want it done sooner because you don't care for the idea of starting Preparing when your DS is 8. So why worry about going slower? Does that make sense?

Also, a big part of the reason I chose to plan on doing HOD 4 days per week to slow it down instead of half speeding a guides is because of precisely the same concern you expressed: not knowing when the best time to half speed would be, and doing it when DS doesn't want/need to. With my 4 days per week plan I feel like I'm not slowing my DS academically, as each day is still a full speed day. There will just be one or two extra days for other things during each HOD unit. So we'll take longer to get through the guides than normal, but will be doing the work full speed each day, and DS will still be challenged. At least, that's how I choose to look at it. :)

I may end up doing the 4 day thing since DD will be on a 4 day with Preparing. That could totally work. My DS LOVES to do school and begs for things to do and I am sick of coming up with stuff. We have ripped through every cheap workbook there is and he colors for hours. I want to challenge him and do meanigful activities, so I was actually looking for MORE to do with him at this point lol.

So, I will prob have to supplement if I do 4 day, ont he 5th day and the summers, but hopefully I can come up with some stuff.