Menu

CLE? Give me the good and not-so-good!

mommatomany

Is it good for teaching multiple children? I'll have a dd in 2nd and a dd in K and a dd on the brink of formal school (4 years old). Can you just use the math and LA? I'm looking for what has attracted you to this curriculum and what is the biggest downfall/turn off?

I'm currently using HOD-Beyond. I like it but I'm considering trying something else for next year so I need some input!! thanks!!!

I was attracted to CLE LA's all-in-one-ness. I love that it requires no planning. I like that it spirals around. It is very easy and doable.

There are two things I don't like: I don't care for the religiousness of it. I thought it wouldn't matter, that it would be close enough to our own religion that it would be fine, but it isn't really. Also, I don't care for the weird diacritic marks that are used. Why did they need to create their own marks? Why not use the IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet -- what is used in most dictionaries)?

I used their reading (100 level) and didn't care for it. The religious differences did become an issue for me. I also think they overdid the schwa usage. :tongue_smilie:

Their math program is good. My friend uses it for her third grader, and she's gotten back confidence in math that she had lost while being in public school. If my child needed a spiral program, CLE Math would be on my list of things to try.

My friend also uses their LA. For her DD, the spelling has been weak, though I don't know if that's because her DD is good at spelling or if it's really that weak. It is all-in-one - grammar, composition, spelling, handwriting. The composition is fairly normal style that traditional schools use. For example, in the 3rd grade, she had to write a report on caribou. It has them use some references, make an outline, and write a few paragraphs, IIRC. It's not SWB-style writing at all, and if I were using the LA program, I'd skip the writing portion for my son and use WWE instead. My friend's DD is a natural writer, so she's had no problem with the writing assignments in CLE (and actually asked to do another one - crazy child :lol:).

My friend is Christian, but not a church going one, and they haven't had any issues with the math or LA in that area. It's not like R&S English where you might not be able to do the exercise if you don't know the obscure Bible story. :D

You say you have 2nd, K, and preK4? Your 2nd grader would be able to use CLE. CLE doesn't have a preK or K program, though they do sell the R&S preK/K workbooks (the ABCFGHI series). The first grade CLE stuff starts out at K level, but then ramps up very quickly. I think there are better programs out there for K. I do like the R&S preK books, and have used some of them with my 4 year old (he used one at 3.5 and is still using one now and then now at 4). They don't teach reading though, so if you want to follow a traditional teach-reading-in-K sequence, I'd pick something specifically for that (a good phonics program).

As far as teaching multiple children with it... Your skills areas are going to be separated no matter what you use. CLE is fairly independent, but for your younger ones, they're going to need you no matter what you use. The 2nd grader may or may not be able to work independently (you'd know that better than I ;)). That's just the nature of the age. Even if the directions are there, plainly understandable, kids that age who can read the directions just fine will still not clue in on what they're supposed to do sometimes.

:iagree: with a lot of what boscopup said. I love the math for Becca and she's pretty independent with it (well, if she'd stop talking and get to work... :glare:). I plan to continue to 300 with her. Sylvia will be doing LA and math 100 in the fall. I like the all-in-oneness of the LA for my poor second child, and we'll be using WWE instead of whatever writing they have. I haven't used and don't need the learn to read program, but I've heard the same things about it.

Sheesh, I even agree w/boscopup on the R&S exercises! Smart lady! :D

I use CLE for Math, Reading & LA for my 2nd grader, CLE for Reading & LA for my 6th grader. You can do all the subjects or just pick one and it will still work. LA and Reading aren't tied together after 1st grade. We use different curricula for science and history and I combine the kids in that area.

My 6th grader works indepently. My 2nd grader started out the year with my assistance and then slowly was able to work on the lessons on his own. This allows me some time to work with my Ker. :)

CLE's K program didn't look so great to me (I think it's Rod & Staff materials?) so I opted for a mix to build a K program that works for us. DS5 will move into CLE Learning to Read, LA, & Math for 1st grade.

I think what I love is that it gets done no matter what. The lessons don't take long and it's easy to sit down and do it--even for the kids. My favorite part is that my DD needed improvement on reading comprehension and CLE really helped her in that area. We like the reading program and I have no religious differences on that. I preread the readers in the summer before they started.

The downside is the writing program is not the best. I supplemented with Meaningful Composition for my elder and dictation for my younger. Next year we will use WWE and IEW. 2nd grade has creative writing exercises and we did them with DH telling me what he wanted "write" and I would write it for him and then he copied what I wrote.

I'm also still questioning the spelling but I'm not certain that it is CLE's fault that my DS has gaps in that area. He's learning the words that they give on the list so it seems to effectively teach them how to spell the words on the list. The list contains words from a common spelling rule, a day of the week or month, review words, and frequently used words. This made it seem like a random list until I figured out the pattern.

I haven't used the Science or History. But I read that those aren't so great unless they are the updated Sunrise Editions.

Edited by jannylynn

We use the LA and math and reading. The review has been great for my ds. Some of the third grade reading stories we needed to discuss our family's perspective. My dd whipped through CLE 1st grade and is moving through 2. She doesn't need the review ds does so I may switch her to R&S. Both of them refuse to switch math. They really like it. We didn't have any issues with Reading 1.

OK, we have used CLE 2, 3, and 4 LA, Reading, and Bible. Here's my review:

Grade 2-

Grade 2 is different than Grades 3 and 4. There is a LOT of phonics in both the reading and LA. That can be good or bad. It's very "mark the schwa", old school, know the dictionary pronunciation symbols heavy. It's hard to pick it up if you haven't started in that system. I'd guess that half of the LA and reading is phonics work. I think that's PERFECT for second graders - but again - it can be annoying if you don't know the symbols, etc.

2nd grade bible is very different than 3rd grade and up. It's a one page story for the student and a little activity. There is a LOT in the TM that you should read and discuss. Some people buy the LU and think that's it - it's totally not. It's very teacher intensive if done correctly. The activities are fun and easy. I had my son read the story and then do the activity. He loved it. For a more solid bible story - supplement with R&S readers for grade 2 (I feel the books are better but the workbooks are BUSY work on steroids).

One to 3rd and 4th Grades:

LA - Great. Solid. Spiral. A lot like R&S but less copying over stuff. I think they need to be supplemented for writing. We did this with a little IEW theme writing, Imitations in Writing, Meaningful Composition or just written narrations. Takes about 20 minutes a day for my kids.

Bible - My kids LOVE the bible. L-O-V-E it. It's part story part history. Same set up as other LU system - but only 5 LU. We do it in a semester and then do Kay Arthur the second semester. My only complaint - I wish there were more time in the actual bible. I haven't found anything other than Love God, Love Jesus, serve others bible here (meaning - not any denomination stuff).

Reading - This is so MUCH MUCH more than "reading". I actually wish they would rename this. If you wonder what it's all about - check out the scope and sequence. It's terms, conclusions, maps, applying bible verses to a story, comprehension, character stuff. It's just great. To me it's just mortar - filling in any little LA / reading cracks there may be. It's a 20 minute a day thing - so it can't be all your kids read - but it's totally worth it!!! My kids reread the stories. They love them. I can't recommend them enough!! I think reading is CLE's best subject.

Math - We love Horizons. We used this briefly - but our system isn't broken!

Science and History - I looked at one LU in 2nd grade. I strongly disliked it. That's probably too light... I really, really disliked them. If you need easy - look at BJU or Abeka for these. Definitely not CLE.

HTH!!