Menu

For those experienced with Cambridge Latin...

Shasta Mom

My advice would be to just take it slowly! My ds (11, now) has been working on Unit 1 for this whole year. (Admittedly, Latin is what falls by the wayside (next to Art) when things get busy.) If you read the Yahoo group, it's pretty clear that Units 1 and 2 are considered a one year proposition - at least for middle or high school - but I figured with a young 6th grader, there was no need to rush it.

The stories that your ds will read are "high-interest," so it should keep his attention; there are lots of games and activities on line to keep you going, too.

LOL - Why did we choose Cambridge?....

Well, dh is a linguist, and he's said for several years that I should look at Cambridge ("It's how you learn a language! It's a natural!"). But NO, I had to listen to all the hs moms with experience (because dh doesn't involve himself in curricular choices, so why should I listen to him on this one, just because he knows languages?!!!) - so we've done Minimus (parts), Latin for Children (hated it - just NOT a fit), Prima Latina, and possible others. I know I have Henle and Wheelock's on my shelves too....

Anyway, Cambridge IS a good fit, and it IS how you learn a language - not by chanting forms (not that there's anything wrong with that....). So, in some ways we've made more progress with CL than all the others. DS can read and translate well (imo; but he doesn't like any school, so I wdn't say he loves Cambridge!), and that was our goal, along with vocabulary building.

As far as what to get: well, I'm using the 3rd ed text, and bought the 3rd ed workpages to go with that - but there are exercises on there that would work better with some tape that there apparently is (was?). So for CL Unit 2, I think I'll get the text (4th ed.) and the student workbook. Not sure about anything else at this point. Hopefully others will chime in. So much of the drill can be done on line that I'll probably just stick with that.

It's a hard decision to make without getting to handle the materials first....I guess we all face that....but I really like what you said about what CL offers....it sounds like it might be worth the try. I'm going to research it more thoroughly.......Thanks again!

Shasta Mom, I have heard that it is best if the student is in at least 5th gr. before starting Cambridge - 6th gr. is even better.

Lively Latin is a very popular program with younger children. After finishing that, you could then move on to Cambridge.

If your ds really liked PL, Cambridge might prove to be too pronounced a change for him. PL is part of the LC series, which takes the standard grammar/translation approach. Cambridge, as GraceinMD shared, is a reading-based method for learning Latin. (This is my preferred method for learning/teaching Latin)

Reading-based programs are more work for the teacher, because at times, you will be called upon to "intuit" a grammar concept that is not specifically explained. Reading-based programs only teach grammar as it is encountered in the story. Whole paradigms are not taught up front, as in g/t texts. As I always recommend, the parent should be studying the Latin well ahead of their dc. It will make teaching it so much easier.

What many people do is use a combination of a grammar/translation-based program with one of the reading-based programs, thus tapping into the best of both worlds.

It sounds like he loved Prima Latina so why not continue with Latina Christiana I? It's a similar format and it's a good fit for how he learns so it would seem to make sense to continue the series.

Just curious as we're about to finish Prima Latina ourselves and are sticking with LCI since PL has been a good fit for us and we've learned a ton. Love the uncluttered pages as well! (I have my eye on Cambridge for down the line... a number of years yet.)

My dd was in a class using Cambridge a few years back when she was 10 or so and the youngest kid was 8. It was slow going but it was ok. It is meant for age 11 up, but taken slowly, I believe it can be done from age 9 or so with a kid who learns well- I wouldnt have done it that young with my son, he didnt go in the same class as his sister even though there were kids his age in that class- he just wasn't ready.

The teacher we used spent 2 years just on book 1. Too slow for us, but it was thorough. Dd is just finishing Book 3, which is technically only 2 years of Latin, but its been 4 years for her.

I like the look of Lively Latin too. I think if it were me I would use that first. The culture it includes looks great. Cambridge also adds culture, which is engaging, but maybe not so for a 9year old? I don't know.

Cambridge is nothing like PL. My son used PL. I must admit I thought it was a waste of time but learning the vocabulary did help his confidence when he started Cambridge. If I was to do it again I would start with LL then go on to Cambridge. I dont even particularly like Minimus, (the prequel to Cambridge)but many people do and thats another consideration.

As for what you need- you need the Student Book, and a TM. I use the British versions and we use the Independent Learning Manuals instead of the TM. We dont have anything else- its enough, along with the website, which we use a lot. I do Cambridge mostly orally with my son. My dd does it independently with an online tutor now.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm considering starting it for my 4th grader ds who will have finished (enthusiastically) PL. I know it's recommended for grades 9-12, but it sounds like some parents have had luck with it for younger kids....Any advice? Admonitions?

You could do Minimus (and perhaps Minimus Secunda) before starting Cambridge Latin Course. Minimus is used by a lot of people to preface the CLC. The student book itself isn't that expensive. You don't have to use the teacher's companion, which is fairly pricey (but does have a lot of neat activities). There's a neat website hosted by the illustrator of the series at http://www.minimus-etc.co.uk.

If you decide to go right ahead with Cambridge Latin Course, you'll probably do fine. There are lots of middle schools that use it. Definitely make sure to check the North American Cambridge Classics Project website out http://www.cambridgelatin.com/ -- they have online newsletters and links. They also have a catalog with supplementary resources: one is a guide with materials for independent learners.

Where is the best place to buy Cambridge in the US? If I am looking to supplement LP (we are on chapter 6 of LP1), which would I get?

Thanks!

I've had a lot of success picking up the whole set in used bookstores or over AbeBooks or Alibris. I don't think I've spent more than $5 on any single volume.

I can't help with suggested placement, as I'm not familiar with LP's scope & sequence, but if you are planning to use them as a supplement you might just want to start with Unit 1.

I used Cambridge Unit 1-Unit3 in my first 2.5 years of high school. It will be a supplemental part of our domestic Latin education program.

My son is currently using CL at school (he goes to a classical Christian school). They start out with CL in 3rd grade, but split the first book into two years (he is finishing up the book this year in 4th grade). From my not-so-knowledgable view, it is a tough curriculum if you have no Latin experience, but not impossible. I have been able to help him with his homework *most of the time*, and I have no Latin background. But still, it appears a little tough to use w/o trained teacher, IMO. I plan on using a different program next year when we begin homeschooling (The Latin Road to English Grammar - I'm doing the program right now) just because my comfort level at the moment won't allow me to continue with Cambridge, especially into the second book. A lot of it will be review for my son, but I think he could use a little review.

Where is the best place to buy Cambridge in the US? If I am looking to supplement LP (we are on chapter 6 of LP1), which would I get?

Thanks!

Amazon carries them, and they're pretty inexpensive. I don't think you need any extras, especially if you are doing another program (we are also working through Henle). We've gotten plenty out of Cambridge just using the website for links, quizzes, etc.

Thanks!

No suggestions on where or which, but I wonder if it would be best to get the non-North American version, so that the order of declensions will be the same as Latin Prep? (Or do you already do the switcheroo on LP to make them line-up with American versions?) If I do eventually supplement LP with Cambridge, that is what I was thinking of doing. I'm not sure if it's even an issue, since I don't know what all else are differences between the two, but I also figure the non-NA version will align perfectly with all the great online activities for Cambridge.

Just another thought to muddy up the waters a little. :tongue_smilie:

My son is currently using CL at school (he goes to a classical Christian school). They start out with CL in 3rd grade, but split the first book into two years (he is finishing up the book this year in 4th grade). From my not-so-knowledgable view, it is a tough curriculum if you have no Latin experience, but not impossible. I have been able to help him with his homework *most of the time*, and I have no Latin background. But still, it appears a little tough to use w/o trained teacher, IMO. I plan on using a different program next year when we begin homeschooling (The Latin Road to English Grammar - I'm doing the program right now) just because my comfort level at the moment won't allow me to continue with Cambridge, especially into the second book. A lot of it will be review for my son, but I think he could use a little review.

It is good to remember this is a Middle School program though, for ages 11 and up....it wasn't designed for 3rd or 4th graders. I wouldn't call it a tough program for the intended age group, at all- I have seen quite a few Latin programs. Latin Prep goes far further, grammatically speaking, by around chapter 4 of Book 1!

However, I do understand, if you have little Latin, or if you havent done the first book yourself from the beginning,it can be intimidating to be plunged into such long translations. I know the first Cambridge book really well now, but i haven't really familiarised myself beyond the first few chapters of Book 2, because my dd had a teacher. I am feeling a bit intimidated myself, but we will manage because dd has jsut finished book 3 (with the online etutor) and will be able to help us :001_smile:

My son is also a 4th grader and we've been blessed with the first 3 units of Cambridge Latin, complete with workbooks and CD-ROM. (My uncle teaches Latin in a ps high school.)

However, my ds isn't keen on reading in the first place, even deals with (what is now a minor) language processing disorder, and the immersion method just isn't a good start for him.

We're starting with "Getting Started with Latin" and will probably continue with his next course following that, and then try to get into CL at the end of 5th or the beginning of 6th grade as recommended. :)

I also feel that this method is giving *ME* the teacher a little bit of background before delving in as well.