Menu

Request for hands-on math ideas

Hello all,

I am asking for a friend who has an 8yo doing 6th grade math. While he's doing fine with the curriculum, he'd like to supplement with hands-on activities, etc.

I suggested maybe puzzle/logic games and books, like Mathmania or Puzzlemania. I told her I would ask here because, well, where else can I find so many people to ask? :)

Thanks!

How about some games?

We attend a math salon that is run by a couple of mathematicians from the local university. They also teach math classes at the university for gifted children and youth. Anyway, they have a bunch of games for the math salon, and I've created an Amazon wish list from their offerings (games and books) because I hope to being my own math salon locally. All of the games are considered mathematical in one way or another.

ETA: Not on the list, because we own them, are Equate and Advanced Tiles for Equate and the card game Set.

Thanks, Joann! Equate looks like heaps of fun! I was asking for a friend, but I really want that. My dad gave us an old game like Scrabble but it's numbers. It was missing pieces but we still had fun playing. Looks like a similar concept.

Your wish list is super helpful! Thanks again!

We find the advanced tile set easier to use. It requires some knowledge of positive and negative exponents, negative numbers, and fractions, but not too much. Those extra tiles make it easier to make equations. DH, DS, and I played one game that took us 3 hours though.

We really like Set. It's an easy game to learn (minutes) and quick game to play.

DD really likes King's Court.