Menu

For these tech grads, the job choice is theirs

Bostonian

http://www.boston.com/jobs/news/articles/2011/04/19/for_these_tech_grads_the_job_choice_is_theirs/

By Hiawatha Bray

Boston Globe

April 19, 2011

For many Wentworth students, finding a good, well-paying first job is proving to be a lot easier than it was a couple of years ago. As the US economic recovery appears to gather steam, a new survey from the National Association of Colleges and Employers found that companies expect to hire 19 percent more college graduates this year than in 2010, the biggest one-year increase since 2007. And most of those new jobs are concentrated in Wentworth’s sweet spot: engineering and computer science.

About 90 percent of Wentworth’s students have a job, or are in graduate school, within six months of graduation.

“We’re seeing a lot of hope and a lot of changes since the recession in most of the disciplines our students go into,’’ said Gregory Denon, Wentworth’s director of career services. In Ristaino’s specialty of computer networking, “we have more jobs than we have graduating students,’’ Denon said.

More than 130 companies showed up to recruit students at Wentworth’s annual career fair last month, 40 more than in 2010. And employers have posted 408 jobs on the college career website, compared to 182 last year.

The surge is strong at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, know for its engineering programs. “We definitely have seen recruiting pick up this year,’’ said Melanie Parker, MIT’s executive director of career services. The university’s spring job fair last week was packed, with recruiters from 35 would-be employers; another 30 companies were turned away for lack of space.

There’s intense demand for top students from top schools — and those students “are definitely in the driver’s seat right now,’’ said Scott Dunlop, founder of the Bivium Group, a Belmont company that recruits workers for high-tech firms. “There’s definitely some significant bidding wars out there, but I wouldn’t say it’s as crazy and over the top as it is on the West Coast.’’

<end of excerpt>

A New York Times article

Silicon Valley Hiring Perks: Meals, iPads and a Cubicle for Spot

By CLAIRE CAIN MILLER and JENNA WORTHAM

March 25, 2011 is at

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/26/technology/26recruit.html

I will encourage my children to major in computer science rather than Greek. Once you can earn a living you can pursue intellectual hobbies.

We are trying to puzzle out what the "next big thing" will be here at our house. We think bio and energy and sustainability and natural history. The "going outside" app is going to become the one to use. That's one dd's feeling.

The other feels that truth and beauty will always be necessary and sought after (philosophy and art history major).

Both love their subjects, that is all I could wish for.

We have a friend whose son graduated Cum Laude from a highly sought after college. When he went to find a job, no one wanted to hire him for pay unless he had experience. They were willing to give him an internship but it didn't pay for anything. He went without a job for over a year so he's finally decided to go back and get his Master's Degree hoping that will help.

We have a friend whose son graduated Cum Laude from a highly sought after college. When he went to find a job, no one wanted to hire him for pay unless he had experience. They were willing to give him an internship but it didn't pay for anything. He went without a job for over a year so he's finally decided to go back and get his Master's Degree hoping that will help.

Do you know if his undergrad. school had internships/co-op programs?

http://www.boston.com/jobs/news/articles/2011/04/19/for_these_tech_grads_the_job_choice_is_theirs/

By Hiawatha Bray

Boston Globe

April 19, 2011

In Ristaino’s specialty of computer networking, “we have more jobs than we have graduating students,’’ Denon said.

Well, I hope that's not just Boston and that it's still the case in 4 years my (presumably) my son will graduate in computer networking!

I asked my son, who is graduating from MIT this year with a MS in an engineering discipline, whether he's heard of any kids there not getting a job offer. His answer was that everyone he knows there has found a job that he or she is pleased with.

Amazing to me - my husband (an engineer with 30 years of experience) is still trying to find suitable employment after being laid off a year and a half ago (he's got a good job now, but it involves commuting 4 hours a day).

Our son will start out with one of those Silicon Valley firms at a higher salary than his dad has ever seen.:001_huh: He interned for a total of nine months at that firm over the course of the last two years, so he knows that it's a good fit for him, besides the monetary benefits. We're happy for him; he'll be able to support us in our old age, right?:glare:

I also have a child who loves and is majoring in Classics/ Latin. She is double majoring in math, though... Money isn't too important to her, and we're encouraging her to follow her heart.

Both LeTourneau and Baylor stressed internships during our college visits. (Computer Science) It sounded like both schools really emphasized working at a company during the summers. Both schools have good job placement at graduation. I think that is a key. I remember all of my business major friends at Baylor doing internships and they all got jobs. I think that is a BIG key.

Christine

Both LeTourneau and Baylor stressed internships during our college visits. (Computer Science) It sounded like both schools really emphasized working at a company during the summers. Both schools have good job placement at graduation. I think that is a key. I remember all of my business major friends at Baylor doing internships and they all got jobs. I think that is a BIG key.

Christine

:iagree: Covenant also really stresses internships. Oldest's friends who are in desirable fields all have good jobs lined up. Computer Science is definitely one of those fields. He knows soon-to-be graduates in that field who had choices of jobs. Business is another. Those with English, History, or Music degrees are another story (BUT, I don't know that he knows ALL of them or just SOME of them).

My kiddos are (or will be) planning internships for each summer.

With regards to engineering, that field is still somewhat down. It definitely helps to be from a super well-regarded college in the field, not just a local college. Here in PA the locals consider some of the nearby colleges to be great at engineering while those in the hiring offices do not. It can make a difference in a mediocre economy. However, even at great colleges, if a student doesn't do the best, their app won't be top on the interview pile. Some students think just getting in and getting the degree is sufficient. This is where internships help a student "prove" themselves.

Our ds has had fantastic job offers from every company he interviewed with. He has been really stressed about making a decision--what a good problem to have!!

Things that he sees about himself vs. his fellow students that are not getting job offers......

**his GPA is above 3.5 (seems that many companies won't even interview students who have a GPA below that benchmark)

**he did a summer research internship with one of his professors

**he co-oped for 12 straight months (many of his friends co-oped as well. I think one thing that made him stand out is that his summers were spent "academically" like the research internship)

He does not attend a top-tier school, but his university is well-known in industry for its engineering graduates. I think that is something that students need to understand. If graduate school is not their main objective, how industry views the graduates is probably more important than "name recognition" in general.

Our ds has had fantastic job offers from every company he interviewed with. He has been really stressed about making a decision--what a good problem to have!!

Things that he sees about himself vs. his fellow students that are not getting job offers......

**his GPA is above 3.5 (seems that many companies won't even interview students who have a GPA below that benchmark)

**he did a summer research internship with one of his professors

**he co-oped for 12 straight months (many of his friends co-oped as well. I think one thing that made him stand out is that his summers were spent "academically" like the research internship)

He does not attend a top-tier school, but his university is well-known in industry for its engineering graduates. I think that is something that students need to understand. If graduate school is not their main objective, how industry views the graduates is probably more important than "name recognition" in general.

:iagree:100% And kudos to your son!